Intake Idea - Attachment to turbo inlet

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That flat spot on the stock civic intake pipe that goes into the turbo annoys me to no end. I have a question for those of you that have taken a look at this intake piece.

As you stand in front of the car and face the engine, this piece goes from left to right (Passenger side to driver's side). It appears to be hood clearance issues as it crosses over the middle of the engine so that's why it's designed that way. Ok cool!

But what if you attached an intake piece to not go from left to right but to go towards the left and drop down towards the ground in that area. Does it appear that you'd have hood clearance if you have a pipe designed for the intake to go in that direction? I understand that there are a couple of rubber connections that would need to be extended over to the pipe going in that direction and I also understand the maf sensor would need to be moved/extended over to that area as well. I am just asking if there is hood clearance for a whole pipe connection to the inlet of the turbo if the pipe were to go towards the left and down. Thanks for any feedback on this.

BTW: I know there has been been reports that there is little to no horsepower to be made on the intake side with mods, etc, etc. Been down that train before. It's cool! I like to make my own intake pipes for experimentation though. Again, thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
If you were able to take that out and replace it with more round piping, I’m sure it would change the volume of air going in dramatically. Not sure if the car could compensate or not. If so you can tune it out and maybe it would be a useful mod and will free up more power. I think it’s a question of someone willing to do it and post results.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isnt that tube actually part of the turbo/wastegate itself? I dont think it can be replaced.

Honda Civic 10th gen Intake Idea - Attachment to turbo inlet upload_2017-10-18_12-13-20
Honda Civic 10th gen Intake Idea - Attachment to turbo inlet upload_2017-10-18_12-13-39

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isnt that tube actually part of the turbo/wastegate itself? I dont think it can be replaced.

upload_2017-10-18_12-13-20.png
upload_2017-10-18_12-13-39.png

Just picked up a white 2018 EX Hatchback today. It wasn't planned at all since we were shopping for one for my wife. She's picking hers up next week. Anyways, I just finished looking this piece over up and down. Was hoping some way that it can be detached from the turbo/wastegate piece. I never seen an intake piece that was permanently attached to the turbo like this. If it can come apart, I will definitely try to make it happen. I just contacted my mechanic today on a piece that I'd like to have fabbed up at this location. I absolutely hate that piece. :p I blame it for the 5800rpm horsepower/torque drop-off when people are turning up the boost. I have in mind exactly how I'd like it to be redone, keeping in mind the front hood clearance and all the bits and pieces that attach to the stock intake, intake diameter size(s), the shape, etc. It will have to have a custom map for it since the maf sensor diameter will be larger than stock. I'll have to discuss that with Vit if it can be done.

I'll take pics if/when it is completed. I will be taking the car to my mechanic next week so we can discuss the specifics.

BTW: How do I post pics up on this site? I have Tapatalk but this site doesn't seem hooked up to it so that I can post pics directly from my phone. What other quick/free options are there? I used to use Imageshack. Sigh!

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
BTW: How do I post pics up on this site? I have Tapatalk but this site doesn't seem hooked up to it so that I can post pics directly from my phone. What other quick/free options are there? I used to use Imageshack. Sigh!
I simply use the “upload a file” button next to the “post reply” button when posting pics from my phone.

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just picked up a white 2018 EX Hatchback today.
I love the LX with Sensing and and am wondering if there are LXs without the Sensing. That would be the bestest most awesomest buy, EVER! One caveat might be if the steering would be misaffected as with sensing, it is rock solid because the wheel is bigger causing it's a Sensing model, almost feels like it's leather wrapped but it's not since this is a LX!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I simply use the “upload a file” button next to the “post reply” button when posting pics from my phone.
Not sure how the hell I didn't even see that button. Thanks!

I appreciate this photo. This is looking harder than I imagined now. No sense giving up now though. This friggin' piece! Arrghh. Will get back.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just picked up a white 2018 EX Hatchback today. It wasn't planned at all since we were shopping for one for my wife. She's picking hers up next week. Anyways, I just finished looking this piece over up and down. Was hoping some way that it can be detached from the turbo/wastegate piece. I never seen an intake piece that was permanently attached to the turbo like this. If it can come apart, I will definitely try to make it happen. I just contacted my mechanic today on a piece that I'd like to have fabbed up at this location. I absolutely hate that piece. :p I blame it for the 5800rpm horsepower/torque drop-off when people are turning up the boost. I have in mind exactly how I'd like it to be redone, keeping in mind the front hood clearance and all the bits and pieces that attach to the stock intake, intake diameter size(s), the shape, etc. It will have to have a custom map for it since the maf sensor diameter will be larger than stock. I'll have to discuss that with Vit if it can be done.

I'll take pics if/when it is completed. I will be taking the car to my mechanic next week so we can discuss the specifics.

That section of the intake is not pretty but I think you will find the compressor map is the reason for the lack of top end power, not any part of the intake system.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 11/7/17

Had a great discussion this evening with my mechanic. I explained my idea around this, dimensions, bend, etc and reasoning behind it and we tossed around a lot of ideas. In the meantime, I need to get my hands on this piece (Letter 'H'/'J' in the diagram). We need to get a better look at the inside of it and around it. Possibly may butcher the piece to make a new piece. Will update if/when this changes. It's still something I'm very interested in making happen.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
You know that repositioning or rrlocating the MAF is going to skew things right? That is gemerally a big no no unless you have a tuner willing to put in the time to either find a way to compensate or tune for speed density.

I applaud your ambition but I feel like there are going to be better ways to make gains. Just order the PRL CAI and call it a day.....or 3d scan it and modify it just enough to avoid infringement....then put it up on thingiverse.....

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know that repositioning or rrlocating the MAF is going to skew things right? That is gemerally a big no no unless you have a tuner willing to put in the time to either find a way to compensate or tune for speed density.

I applaud your ambition but I feel like there are going to be better ways to make gains. Just order the PRL CAI and call it a day.....or 3d scan it and modify it just enough to avoid infringement....then put it up on thingiverse.....

Your points are understood and thanks for the suggestion. I do have a PRL CAI ordered. Was hoping to have it by now so I can test it at the tracks but they haven't shipped them out yet. I've custom made intakes for all my cars over the years though or at least a part of the intake, for experimenting and testing, if I didn't like what the vendors already had out. The PRL CAI in my personal opinion is great right before the maf sensor, as far as the size goes. What I don't like is the sharp bend before the air filter (Or after the air filter if you are following it from the air filter to maf sensor). I understand why it is like that but I don't like any of my intakes to have sharp bends like that.

Even still, it doesn't change that I don't like the design of the stock inlet pipe to the turbo. It's seems anti everything the turbo should have. It's extra small, a sharp bend right before the turbo and travels above the turbo and exhaust piping as well as in the path of the heat from the radiator. That's what the interocooler is for though. The bend into the turbo is what it is but I do think the size is too small for upping the boost. So....may as well test if I can. This all doesn't mean anything unless I do it and see results (Either good or bad).

Don't mind me though. I just put this stuff up for documentation but again I've been doing this a long time so don't mind any criticism. I was dogged back in the day about my Subaru Outback Sport Automatic when I turbocharged it and ran nitrous on the stock block. Until I was running consistent low 13 second 1/4 mile times before the WRXs was even out. HERE And was faster than the boosted/manual guys. This car is 21yrs old and I still can drive it but keep it garaged. Even got it on an episode of Motorweek (HERE...skip to 5:30 in Video)

Or like the Subaru SVX forum folks that dog my intake idea HERE But when I asked one of my biggest critics to build what I designed and dyno'd it, it gained 19whp. HERE Even named it the 'ToMyx' intake after the guy 'Tom' who made it for me. Then he decided to sell them. Read my first couple of sentences and I mentioned about how I dealt with power dropping off at the topend of the rpm range in a couple of my cars. This was 11yrs ago.

Or the RAV4 folks who said I'd never get any horsepower with intake/exhaust modifications but with only an intake (A hybrid Weapon R that I made to a CAI and modified intake diameter), I was running 13.6-13.7's in the 1/4 mile. N/A...dropping 1.5 seconds off the stock time. HERE It's the fastest Toyota RAV4 at Dragtimes.

Or my Honda Fit that I was told would not make any horsepower with intake or exhaust modifications but when I experimented with both, dropped my 1/4 mile down by 2 seconds, from 17.2@81mph to 15.2@92mph. N/A and CVT. And was faster than just about all the boosted/manual guys. It is the fastest Honda Fit at Dragtimes.

These are just a few examples! I can't just leave well enough alone so I experiment and have learned a ton over the years. I post up just to share as I go along. Besides, If I plan on beating manual trannied 10th gen civics and Type R's in a CVT, I can't just sit by and accept defeat without trying. It's all in good fun Micah. I love this stuff. It's why I do it.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
A buddy lf mine bought both the SI and CTR. He plans on leaving both stock. I keep telling him my longterm goal is to make my SI faster than his CTR. For now though I am fighting the urge to modify. I want to see the results of early adopters before I make any changes. On my shortlist though, ktuner and PRL CAI.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx