Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Civic does not have a BOV (blow off valve), it has a BPV (bypass valve). Blow off valve vents to outside the intake system whereas a bypass valve recirculates the vented air back into the compressor inlet.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/bov_and_bypass
I assume this is to maintain boost efficiency for a tiny turbo?? So technically an aftermarket BOV would reduce overall boost, decreasing engine power?

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I assume this is to maintain boost efficiency for a tiny turbo?? So technically an aftermarket BOV would reduce overall boost, decreasing engine power?
Not at all. The MAF is on the intake. All air that comes in goes by the MAF and is metered. This tells the engine how much air there is so it knows how much fuel is needed for optimal blend (not counting changes from a tuner). When you let air that has been metered out of the system, the car still puts the amount of fuel for the mass of air it thinks is there but is now less than what is actually there, causing a rich condition, not ideal. Both a BOV and BPV are there to prevent damage to the turbo from compressor surge (air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain), which will happen when you are on boost and let off the gas pedal closing the throttle body, all that boosted air need to go somewhere and the only way is back to the turbo. The BOV or BPV will then open once the pressure is above its set limit and will either vent to atmosphere in a BOV or will recirculate the air back into the turbo inlet in a BPV. Compressor surge can damage a turbo if not properly handled. Both system technically work on the car but running rich has its negatives including increased carbon buildup, lower mpg, and can foul O2 sensors.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/compressor_surge

StrainTrain

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is there any tuning required after installation? I know if you go with PRL's cobra Street MAF option you do not have to tune.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
No tune needed

Is there any tuning required after installation? I know if you go with PRL's cobra Street MAF option you do not have to tune.

First Name
Reinaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring [Turbo]
My God that looks beautiful, do you have a link to the exact one you used, I love the color. Furthermore, are you aware of any real power gains?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Pretty simple install. Didn't have to remove the bumper just the underside panels. Took about 30 minutes start to finish

IMG_20170826_144318_938.jpg
That's good to hear; I was nervous about having to remove the front bumper but if it's just the underside panels that makes me feel a lot better. Going to do this on Saturday barring any disasters.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
update- Since installing in august I have had zero issues with water being sucked up or the ECU throwing codes. I have the Ktuner and I am able to monitor the AFR. it will bounce around but is pretty steady at 14.7. Next idea is cutting open the honeycomb to get better airflow and lower those IATs

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
update- Since installing in august I have had zero issues with water being sucked up or the ECU throwing codes. I have the Ktuner and I am able to monitor the AFR. it will bounce around but is pretty steady at 14.7. Next idea is cutting open the honeycomb to get better airflow and lower those IATs
Cutting out that honeycomb is probably not the best idea, as it will guarantee that your filter get wet. With it being tucked above the lower shield, it will stay a lot drier.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cutting out that honeycomb is probably not the best idea, as it will guarantee that your filter get wet. With it being tucked above the lower shield, it will stay a lot drier.
yeah that's my main hesitation. Then I looked at the injen hydro shield to help with that but not sure how well they really work

eddiebeev

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Pretty simple install. Didn't have to remove the bumper just the underside panels. Took about 30 minutes start to finish

IMG_20170826_144318_938.jpg
Did you have to make any adjustments to the front bumper, i.e. make openings in the fog light grills to allow the air to enter? or is sufficient with the grill and etc. If you did make changes, possible to post a picture of the front end?

Greencobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si 2016 Mazda CX-9
Did you have to make any adjustments to the front bumper, i.e. make openings in the fog light grills to allow the air to enter? or is sufficient with the grill and etc. If you did make changes, possible to post a picture of the front end?
No adjustments needed. It fits perfectly

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no changes were needed. I have seen some people cut the fake mesh to match the passenger side for better air flow, but with that you run a higher risk of hydrolock
Sponsored