Infotainment System... Officially a lemon!

KillTeamSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T WOP, 2001 Saturn Sl1
Hey just wanted to point this out to everyone and I know it is likely to be blasphemy here but the 2016 infotainment system is officially a lemon. I have read many posts where people were chastised for even pushing the idea that Honda should be completely responsible for replacing the broken infotainment system. I was not one of them until now.

Firstly I would like to say that blue tooth is definitively broken. If I have to reset the audio system daily only to have an hour of stutter and skip uninterrupted play... This is a broken system. If the problem was exclusive to me then Honda is at no fault. The fact that this is widely happening deserves some attention... and the fact that there is no alternative ie: Auxiliary cable input makes this a bigger issue.

Secondly I would like to say that I can "deal" with resetting my audio system to get other things to work but I just bought a new phone. A windows 10 phone and yes I am one of those less than half a percent of the people who use smartphones that actually likes and uses Windows phones. Plus my job requires me to have one. My brand new honda civic will not even recognize or connect to my new windows 10 phone rendering my infotainment system completely useless. I do not listen to radio or xm.. can't play a CD.. cant connect my phone through the USB method (wont recognize). etc... A big fucking joke, thank you Honda.

I am literally at the point of finding my pitchfork and burning something down! Where is a class action lawsuit I can participate in? Seriously guys.. should Honda not do something?
Sponsored

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
While I agree that the infotainment system is lacking and buggy, you can't really call it "officially" a lemon. People are going to come to this thread thinking that there has been an announcement concerning this.

dannyo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 5MT
This is one of the reasons I was ok opting for the Sport Hatch with the traditional / replaceable head unit. Hopefully they can fix it for you with a software flash.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Why not copy your music to a usb memory stick? Surely that wouldn't cost more than a few dollars and you could leave it in the car all the time?

Also, saying the system is a lemon is petty. The vast majority of people seem to have no problems with the units and the fact that your phone is having problems with bluetooth could be as much a windows phone issue as Hondas. I understand you are angry but by your own admission, 99.5% of phones are not using your OS, so perhaps a non-standard implementation of Bluetooth by microsoft is the issue. In fact it a quick google search shows dozens of threads with Windows phone and bluetooth issues.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Should I be concerned? My Sport Touring Hatchback will be delivered in December/January.

I don't get it what/why is Honda not taking care of this?!?!

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I have no problems with mine. I'd be interested to see the class action lawsuit filed on behalf of the six Windows 10 phone users who happen to be Civic owners that are experiencing the same problems as the OP. :/

On a side note my Palm Pre doesn't connect to this infotainment system either.

georgemccain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
I have no problems with mine. I'd be interested to see the class action lawsuit filed on behalf of the six Windows 10 phone users who happen to be Civic owners that are experiencing the same problems as the OP. :/

On a side note my Palm Pre doesn't connect to this infotainment system either.
Are you able to watch a video on phone and have audio come out of speakers via bluetooth realtime? On my 2015 Odyssey there is a 3 second lag. Luckily there is a 3.5 aux jack so it is not bothersome but the civics don't have a aux port.

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Are you able to watch a video on phone and have audio come out of speakers via bluetooth realtime? On my 2015 Odyssey there is a 3 second lag. Luckily there is a 3.5 aux jack so it is not bothersome but the civics don't have a aux port.
I've never tried as I am the one always driving and wouldn't be watching a video while doing so. I'll check and report back.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Video, depending on the source will always have lag or out of sync. At least on my current and previous vehicles.

I have both the iPhone 7 Plus and Google Pixel XL so I would be surprised if it works on my upcoming HB.

georgemccain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
I've never tried as I am the one always driving and wouldn't be watching a video while doing so. I'll check and report back.
I guess a better use case, doing nav off of phone. If you are coming to a turn and are notified 3 seconds later... can cause issues.

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I have an iPhone 7 Plus. Nav off phone doesn't lag but I do that through Car Play and normally use the built in nav.

Daughter just played a YouTube video clip through Bluetooth with no lag at all.

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan, CosBlu
The bluetooth issue sounds frustrating, but is it really all that surprising that Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is not compatible with a windows phone...? Not sure what you expected to have happen plugging in the USB.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
The OP's complaint that his Windows phone will not connect via cable is silly, but as a person experiencing Bluetooth issues with last year's Moto X Pure, I agree that the system is broken in some way. My phone runs pretty close to stock Android, and two days after buying the car, I had the stuttering issue with any audio coming via Bluetooth - different apps yielded the same skipping result.

Rebooting the head unit did no good. Turning off Apple Car Play did no good. The handful of "fixes" I've been able to find did no good. The only thing that worked was me turning off Bluetooth on my phone, trying to connect to another phone (which wasn't in the car,) and re-pairing my phone. Then it happened again the very next time I got in the car.

There is a problem with Honda's BT connection. It isn't an Android, Apple, or Microsoft issue, and it isn't necessarily a phone model issue. It is, however, a Honda issue, and having to remove and re-pair a phone every time I get in the car is not an acceptable fix. Fortunately, Android Auto does work with my phone, so I'm able to get by, but that really isn't a resolution to the problem, as I don't always want to take my phone out and plug it in, and 50% of the time forgetting the phone in the car when I get out .
Sponsored