In case any are still shopping for an Si, but might have a little extra cash...

jgooooo

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, Miata NA
I highly doubt they would do that, but who knows these days.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I highly doubt they would do that, but who knows these days.
Well I don’t think the Si is selling all that great and the Type R is expensive for some, and more expensive to maintain. If they could come in under $30k for a lesser equipped Type R, it would sell.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the problem with the Rs is availability and markup
Right there.

Even if - let's entertain this idea for a second - they put out a feature-gimped Type R, ADM will still plague the model and you'd be hard pressed to find one for less than the original's MSRP.

Either way, they're two distinctly different cars. If you're shopping for an Si, you're not shopping for a Type R.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fully agree, the dealers around my that happened to get a Type R all want $50k for it, for some reason (I thought paying full retail for a car was crazy).... At retail I'd bet the Type R's would be flying off the lot. Can't speak to the SI's though. But I have no regrets on my SI purchase.

to be honest - I kind of expected better from Honda about the ADM issue.

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I don’t think the Si is selling all that great and the Type R is expensive for some, and more expensive to maintain. If they could come in under $30k for a lesser equipped Type R, it would sell.
Around here it is hard to find an Si because they don't stay on the lot long!

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Around here it is hard to find an Si because they don't stay on the lot long!
Theres loads sitting in the east coast. I'm shopping for the best deal. will buy at 24k OTD plus pay off on my existing ext (almost there by 1k) especially a with 2018's on the lot. almost got it at one dealer playing the game with them

Last edited:

carrsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2017 Civic EX-L, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
My dealership had 5 SI's on the lot when I bought mine at the beginning of September. 4 of them are still sitting there in the exact same place they were parked when I bought mine. 23,400 OTD for my SI. Salesmen told me that lots of people look, none of them get sold because its a MT.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMO - the MT part is a selling feature of the car! better performance, better economy, funner to drive, cheaper, the list goes on

I would not buy an SI or any civic model with a CVT/Auto. not my thing.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
My dealership had 5 SI's on the lot when I bought mine at the beginning of September. 4 of them are still sitting there in the exact same place they were parked when I bought mine. 23,400 OTD for my SI. Salesmen told me that lots of people look, none of them get sold because its a MT.
That's an awesome deal. Looks like I can be more aggressive in getting mine. However my deal is more complicated with trade-in and all dealerships offering a lowball on it. I've gone up 2100 from my initial "appraisal" though. However, I'm still 1200 shy of getting my best price. I am willing to be 1k neg on my existing EXT.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Similar situation with my nearest dealership. Same Si's have been there awhile. The point about MT is depressing, but unfortunately not surprising. I expect the new ILX base trim will be essentially an Si with the 8DCT and more luxury, which could succeed if it's reasonably priced. I strongly prefer MT, but I bet the Si's engine and Acura's 8DCT would be an excellent match. I think Honda should offer it as an option in the Si, just like VW sells the GTI with their 6DCT.

(Yes, yes, we all know the ILX should become an S3 killer with the Accord's 2.0T and AWD...but we also know it will get the 1.5T initially.)

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
IMO - the MT part is a selling feature of the car! better performance, better economy, funner to drive, cheaper, the list goes on

I would not buy an SI or any civic model with a CVT/Auto. not my thing.
That's partially true. Compared with modern automatics, a manual has worse emissions, worse fuel economy and worse performance. "Fun to drive" is subjective. They are cheaper, though, especially compared to a dual clutch system.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
My dealership had 3 x Civic Si coupes on the lot when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, and at least two Civic Si sedans. I got mine for $24,700 OTT, which I think is a hell of a deal with everything you're getting. The Type R is attractive of course, but not for me. I plan to keep the Si for at least 10 years and I can't see myself living in a Type R every day for that long. It's a niche car for sure.

As far as the MT, it's disappointing hearing how many people don't know how to drive one these days. Look at the Jeep Wrangler; the MT is the default transmission for pretty much all trim levels but try to find one on the lot. They are all AT. It probably isn't helping the sales of the Si unfortunately but the MT is usually more fuel-efficient, almost always faster, and much, much more fun to drive than an AT/CVT.
Sponsored