I am having the hardest time getting used to the dimensions of this car!

Zer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Time for steering wheel extenders!!! $$$
I too regularly have this issue but not in the civic. Steering wheel extenders are not made to work with OEM wheels fwiw, so good luck swapping to aftermarket and going without an airbag :(
Sponsored

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I too regularly have this issue but not in the civic. Steering wheel extenders are not made to work with OEM wheels fwiw, so good luck swapping to aftermarket and going without an airbag :([/QUOTE

Wait.. What??? These thing exist???

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am used to bigger cars, so i always leave a LOT of space around me. Better than the other way around...

AIBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So far it's pretty easy to judge how much space I have on the sides but the front is like... way longer than I'm used to (previously drove an 04 Lancer) so I'm paranoid about screwing up the front of the car

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
I know this will sound stupid but... I have never had such a hard time judging front and side fenders... Today I pulled over by a curb and scratched my front right (black 18") wheel. :(

I will get the hang of it soon though. Does anyone else have difficulties judging this vehicle? :/ Or am am I the only person who is thus challenged. :)
I know it, brother! It's hard judging that passenger front wheel. I've put 30k miles on my '16 Touring & have hit that front passenger wheel a few times. Thankfully it's the stock wheel. If I hit my 19x9.5 Fifteen52 Tarmac, it's gonna put a damper on my week.

miana79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
I know this will sound stupid but... I have never had such a hard time judging front and side fenders... Today I pulled over by a curb and scratched my front right (black 18") wheel. :(

I will get the hang of it soon though. Does anyone else have difficulties judging this vehicle? :/ Or am am I the only person who is thus challenged. :)
When I read that you scratched the side of your wheel I cringed. It does take getting used to it is much wider than my previous car. My suggestion is to use the small mirror balls for now I have my positioned in the lower right corner of each side mirror. It gives me a great view of curbs and lines when parking as I'm not even used to the camera yet. Every time I use the camera to park when I come out the car I look crooked, I need to get used to the camera markings because they mean something I'm so old schoool lol so still using my mirrors and turning my head to back out.

Last edited:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Use the right hump in the front hood to judge where the front wheel is - if you see the right hump, the wheel is pretty much right under it

Yosemite Sam

Honda was my first car brand and probably my last!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have the same problem but only with the distance off my passenger side front wheel. When I pull into my space at my apartment there is a high curb and I feel like I am about to graze it with my tire/bumper but when I get out I'm like two damn feet away from the curb. I've basically just moved to backing into spots like that as I can see it great with the backup camera!

dmcycloid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Yep. Looking for some sort of scratch paint for around four wheel-curb collisions.

And the angle & distance to the curb while parking is also taking some time. Any theories on why it's so hard? I'm thinking some forced perspective with all the lines, plus integrating the camera (my first also). [edit- after looking more closely today, there is just very limited view either looking straight back or with any of the mirrors. The camera is about it in close situations. Also there are almost no straight lines anywhere. Even a check to the side to see if you're lined up gives little help. Ah well, the price of the good looks. Enjoying the challenge even if people on sidewalks are wondering wtf (as they are admiring the car)]

Also thinking of the car as my practice McLaren, so it's ok if I scratch up the wheels on the lease here a bit. :thumbsup: (not too much) [or practice Type R, learn the dimensions on this one]

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Honda was my first car brand and probably my last!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
For me I think it is the radical styling of the bonnet that just throws my perspective off. I'm used to a bit simpler design and perhaps I am a bit more cautious than normal as I don't want to screw up any of the body work!

gearsofwar17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan
I learned to drive in a TSX so I guess i'm used to Honda's idea of "visibility." The backup camera makes parallel parking trivial and long as you go in rear first. The visibility on the front-right is pretty poor, I would get into the habit of slightly overshooting sharp right turns until you have a good feel for the spacing.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Another thing that will help...Raise the driver's seat up. Cracks me up to see these guys setting way down in the car, barely looking over the top of the steering wheel. Oh yeah, they're cool.

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
I have the same problem but only with the distance off my passenger side front wheel. When I pull into my space at my apartment there is a high curb and I feel like I am about to graze it with my tire/bumper but when I get out I'm like two damn feet away from the curb. I've basically just moved to backing into spots like that as I can see it great with the backup camera!
Yep, same here. It's that Front right wheel. I started to back into my parking spot not to long ago and wow! What a difference!! I highly recommend trying to only back into spaces.✌
Sponsored