Hype R or Type R?

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
GT Content, good vid overall and you make some valid points RE: the AWD competition and GT cars with 400 HP+. You've clearly done a bit of research.

I only take issue with your suggestion that the new Type R's motor will be constrained in terms of aftermarket turbo choices. Yes while the manifold is cast into the motor and has a non-standard bolt pattern, a simple flanged adaptor pipe will solve that issue, where you will be able to mate any turbo to the motor. Why you would want more power on the FWD is beyond me, but it will actually be WAY cheaper to fit aftermarket turbos than to buy those expensive trick welded manifolds.

I do agree that intercooler charge piping is not optimal right above the turbo exhaust. I suspect the aftermarket will fix that too unless unless its cast to the turbine housing. Good vid. Liked and subbed.

Last edited:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Best was the Allen Iverson Traction meme

That was to funny.

I hope the Type R lives up to the hype...

Only time will tell

OP
OP

GT Content

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSX
GT Content, good vid overall and you make some valid points RE: the AWD competition and GT cars with 400 HP+. You've clearly done a bit of research.

I only take issue with your suggestion that the new Type R's motor will be constrained in terms of aftermarket turbo choices. Yes while the manifold is cast into the motor and has a non-standard bolt pattern, a simple flanged adaptor pipe will solve that issue, where you will be able to mate any turbo to the motor. Why you would want more power on the FWD is beyond me, but it will actually be WAY cheaper to fit aftermarket turbos than to buy those expensive trick welded manifolds.

I do agree that intercooler charge piping is not optimal right above the turbo exhaust. I suspect the aftermarket will fix that too unless unless its cast to the turbine housing. Good vid. Liked and subbed.
Thanks for the compliements Fled!

As far as aftermarket turbo choices, you are correct. It's even more simpler now. I was just reminding that ramhorns, sidewinder, equal length manifolds will not be an option anymore. For example, if I wanted to have a divided turbo setup, then I wouldn't be able to because I wouldn't have access to each exhaust port to create a turbo manifold for this because of the cast head/turbo manifold single exhaust outlet design. This most likely came from a cost decision because now you have just one head casting which includes the manifold and not separate parts.

Yes, too much power for a FWD would probably not a good idea, but we know people will want to push that envelope.

Thanks again!

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Thanks for the compliements Fled!

As far as aftermarket turbo choices, you are correct. It's even more simpler now. I was just reminding that ramhorns, sidewinder, equal length manifolds will not be an option anymore. For example, if I wanted to have a divided turbo setup, then I wouldn't be able to because I wouldn't have access to each exhaust port to create a turbo manifold for this because of the cast head/turbo manifold single exhaust outlet design. This most likely came from a cost decision because now you have just one head casting which includes the manifold and not separate parts.

Yes, too much power for a FWD would probably not a good idea, but we know people will want to push that envelope.

Thanks again!
Ahh ok I gotcha...you sound like a long time Honda fan. Yes, unfortunately no trick manifolds from Full-Race or divided turbos. Keep up the good work!

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I heard it doesn't have IRS, but a torsion beam of some sort.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Even the old si has independent.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No such thing as too much power for a FWD car!

I know it's not relevant, but even without AWD, I think many will be happy with their purchase. Point being, everyone mods and who knows what may come out to easily get the output to 450hp or more.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
No such thing as too much power for a FWD car!

I know it's not relevant, but even without AWD, I think many will be happy with their purchase. Point being, everyone mods and who knows what may come out to easily get the output to 450hp or more.
Not without a built motor. Plus that much power is way too much for fwd on the street. If you want to drag race get a Mustang.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not without a built motor. Plus that much power is way too much for fwd on the street. If you want to drag race get a Mustang.
Obviously, as I said in my post, modded. If I wanted to drag race, why would I get a mustang, when I could smoke it with one of these.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Obviously, as I said in my post, modded. If I wanted to drag race, why would I get a mustang, when I could smoke it with one of these.
Because you can get a 700 hp Mustang for $50,000 with the Rauch supercharger kit in order to beat the car in a civic you would have to spend probably another 20 grand and ruin the civic in the process