HU beeping constantly

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Hi. New member here. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I wasn't sure if this or "nav/audio/display" would be the more appropriate forum.

I have been reading this site for days and performed several searches (as well as elsewhere on the internet) and haven't been able to find any other reports of this issue.

I bought my wife an EX-T a few weeks ago and on the second day it had a freak out during a phone call. We were listening to Sirius and a call came in (connected through Apple play) but the music would not stop playing. Neither for the ring nor the answered call. Then we couldn't get it to hang up or stop Sirius. We had to turn the car off completely.

Since then it has randomly been issuing the rapid 3 beep error noise in succession, anywhere from one to twenty times in a row. It happens intermittently while driving. Most of the time it will return to the home menu and keep backing out of menues if i try to access settings while it's happening.

This leads me to believe that either the home or back button are being engaged unintentionally.

We've tried unpairing and repairing her iphone. She wouldn't let me do a full system factory reset because she was afraid she would lose her Sirius free trial (oh no). But I plan to try the soft reboot method of holding the audio power button when she gets home this evening.

Just wondered if anyone else has had or heard of this issue or if there is a known fix. I really don't want to take it back to the dealership because 1. They are enormous dillweeds 2. They are the most unprofessional and unknowledgeable people I've ever seen work with cars (i half suspect the unit is damaged from when the salesperson was pulling on the display trying to get the "cd player" to come out...) and 3. Every time I've taken my accord in there for a simple problem they've severely damaged something else.

So hopefully I can fix this myself. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
Hi. New member here. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I wasn't sure if this or "nav/audio/display" would be the more appropriate forum.

I have been reading this site for days and performed several searches (as well as elsewhere on the internet) and haven't been able to find any other reports of this issue.

I bought my wife an EX-T a few weeks ago and on the second day it had a freak out during a phone call. We were listening to Sirius and a call came in (connected through Apple play) but the music would not stop playing. Neither for the ring nor the answered call. Then we couldn't get it to hang up or stop Sirius. We had to turn the car off completely.

Since then it has randomly been issuing the rapid 3 beep error noise in succession, anywhere from one to twenty times in a row. It happens intermittently while driving. Most of the time it will return to the home menu and keep backing out of menues if i try to access settings while it's happening.

This leads me to believe that either the home or back button are being engaged unintentionally.

We've tried unpairing and repairing her iphone. She wouldn't let me do a full system factory reset because she was afraid she would lose her Sirius free trial (oh no). But I plan to try the soft reboot method of holding the audio power button when she gets home this evening.

Just wondered if anyone else has had or heard of this issue or if there is a known fix. I really don't want to take it back to the dealership because 1. They are enormous dillweeds 2. They are the most unprofessional and unknowledgeable people I've ever seen work with cars (i half suspect the unit is damaged from when the salesperson was pulling on the display trying to get the "cd player" to come out...) and 3. Every time I've taken my accord in there for a simple problem they've severely damaged something else.

Sorry to hear that man. Yeah some of the people that work at dealerships are really bad. They have no concept of what they are even selling. I went for a quote on an EX and the guy insisted on giving me quotes for the EX-T and L. I told him no i want the EX with no turbo. He goes they don't make that all the new civics have turbos. I told him to read up on the cars before trying to sell them and left. I recommend if possible you find a new dealership to deal with if they are always messing up your Accord.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Sorry to hear that man. Yeah some of the people that work at dealerships are really bad. They have no concept of what they are even selling. I went for a quote on an EX and the guy insisted on giving me quotes for the EX-T and L. I told him no i want the EX with no turbo. He goes they don't make that all the new civics have turbos. I told him to read up on the cars before trying to sell them and left. I recommend if possible you find a new dealership to deal with if they are always messing up your Accord.
Unfortunately there are no other dealers within a reasonable distance to me. I won't ever be taking any cars to them for paid repairs again, They ran out of second chances a while ago and I am out of free oil changes lol. But with the ext being under warranty I need to take it to them, or drive 2 hours to the nearest certified dealership which has worse reviews.

geocoder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My touring had a similar freakout last week. Started the car with passenger seatbelt undone. It started rapid chirping like morse code and wouldn't stop even after her seat belt was fastened.
I finally just drove to our destination and when I started it later it was fine.
The dealer had not a single clue, nothing was on the computer logs.

Soma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
This happens with my head unit all the time. I'll be taking my car to the dealer next week.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
We tried a soft reboot, no luck. Then a full reboot, also no luck. It seemed to stop for a few days after I applied a little pressure to the top right corner of the screen, which further supported my theory that someone at the dealership had warped the frame trying to get to the "cd player" which they were convinced was behind the screen.

But since other people are having a similar problem, maybe that's not the case.

It's definitely the home button being activated, and the 3 repeating beeps is the "you're already on the home screen" error beep.

We have it scheduled for service, and in the meantime have just turned the beeping volume off in the settings.

Hopefully they will replace the head unit.

Aegis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've had this problem, and my most recent attempt at a solution was to turn the touch sensitivity down to "Low", and to wipe the dust off the touchscreen. Will post again in about a week if this band aids the problem.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring

Just wondered if anyone else has had or heard of this issue or if there is a known fix.

Yesterday I took my Touring model in for the software patch that was meant to cure multiple issues with the infotainment unit (including a very loud snapping and popping in the speakers) and hoped all was well when I drove out of the dealership.

Now it turns out I have the same problem you describe -- seemingly random three-beep bursts and returns to the Home screen, while driving.

I wonder if anyone can report on having had Honda fix the problem? It's very annoying, yes, but more importantly, a safety issue, as it results in distracted driving.

I'll keep returning it to Honda until they do fix the problem, or replace the unit. The system seems very buggy, overall -- half-baked.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
We tried a soft reboot, no luck. Then a full reboot, also no luck. It seemed to stop for a few days after I applied a little pressure to the top right corner of the screen, which further supported my theory that someone at the dealership had warped the frame trying to get to the "cd player" which they were convinced was behind the screen.

But since other people are having a similar problem, maybe that's not the case.

It's definitely the home button being activated, and the 3 repeating beeps is the "you're already on the home screen" error beep.

We have it scheduled for service, and in the meantime have just turned the beeping volume off in the settings.

Hopefully they will replace the head unit.
Just wondering, what was the outcome of your service for this issue at Honda? Did they manage to fix the unit? Or did they replace it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Just got the car back from Honda. They kept it over night to "run a diagnostic" on the computer (which I can do at home, and doesn't take all night) and then tried to tell us that it was doing it because the iPhone 5 is not compatible, even though it was advertised as a selling point for the Honda link system or whatever it's called. They tried to say that only the iPhone 6 is compatible.

The only thing they did was reset the computer (which I had already done, and it took about 5 minutes... Took them 6 hours.)

Everything that anyone says to me is just some veiled attempt to get us to pay for the repairs or find a way to blame us for the problem. It was hell just to get them to waive the $100 up front service fee.

So we'll have to wait a couple of days til it starts doing it again and then try again.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Service fee?! How can they charge you a service fee - it is under warranty.

They can't. But they can try. It's their policy to take a $100 down payment any time a vehicle is brought in for anything. They'll "return" it if they find the problem is not your fault. I never pay it, because I'm always certain what the problem is. But it's always a fight.

I'm just dreading how many wasted days it's going to take before they will admit it's a faulty head unit and replace it.

When I asked how long it would take to get a new head unit in, they wouldn't even acknowledge the question and just kept telling me why I'd have to pay for it.

They really are an awful dealership. I wish I could take it somewhere else. But even if it were acceptable to have warranty repairs services at a different dealership, I would feel bad putting that work on someone other than the people who are supposed to handle it.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
There is a good warning in this thread. Honda probably realized they had head unit issues, so to mitigate what they were technically required to deal with for free, they hand-picked a very small number of phones they would deem compatible. As Bearbytez found, her dealer tried to charge her a fee for an issue that they claimed was due to her unsupported phone. A very low-blow move by Honda, IMO, and I'm sure, very purposely done. The vast majority of phones out in the wild are not actually officially supported by Honda - so Honda has a nice herd of scapegoat phones they can point to (even though the phones, in nearly all cases, are not the problem at all).

I'm sure no dealer, though, is specifying before people buy the car that only a tiny number of phones are officially supported to work with the car. I know mine didn't, but Honda was very quick to point out to me that my phone (Galaxy S5) was not supported and Honda Corporate actually CALLED MY DEALER to tell them not to deal with any issues that could be related to the phone's interactions with the car.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It started doing it again, less than a mile from the dealership. Took it back and watched them redo everything that supposedly took 24 hours in about 45 seconds. (as a side note, every time they try to "show us" how something works, such as pairing a phone, or accessing the non-existent cd player, I end up teaching them how to use the car, and then they still have the nerve to be condescending.)

We're going to try using it without the phone paired now and see if the problem persists.
Sponsored