How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, install is all done and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll post some pics of my light output when it gets dark tonight, but I think they look about the same as halogen as far as dispersal of light goes.

*Disclaimer* This is not a complete step-by-step guide to install your HID kit. I created this with the intent of showing the best way and how easy it is to protect your OEM wiring harness. If you have questions about this install based on this post, you probably lack some fundamental knowledge of 12v accessories. I am not responsible for anything you experience during your own install.

Ok, what you will need to do a safe and clean install are the following

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_11_52_42

- 4-pin relay
- inline fuse holder
- 4/5 pin relay socket
- Electrical Tape or Wiring Heat Shrink
- 10mm and 8mm socket
- Wire cutters
- Plyers
- Test light or multi-meter (if you want to find different power and ground points than I used)

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_11_53_43

This is a relay. There is nothing fancy about a 4 pin relay. The simplest way I can describe a relay is an electronic switch. You supply + and - to 85 and 86. This activates the internal solenoid that then connects 30 to 87.
In our application, we will hook up the OEM headlight plug to 85 and 86. This will activate the switch inside the relay and connect 30(which will be direct battery power source) to 87 (the + on the HID kit).
With this setup the relay can pull all the power it needs with no danger to the factory wiring.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_11_55_11

Here is the socket for our 4 pin relay. Most sockets will work for a 4 and 5 pin relay. Remove the center wire from the socket and discard.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_11_55_28

The inline fuse holder is very important. The factory fuse for the headlights will now only be controlling the relay. A new fuse must be added to the HID kit. I used a 15amp Fuse.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_11_56_07

This is the adapter that came with my H11 HID kit. The red and black wires go into this adapter and then it plugs into the factory head light socket. This will supply power to your ballast.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_12_07_24

Remove the braiding by carefully cutting along the heat shrink with a knife or razor. Then we will split this harness into two halves.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! HID_wirin

Follow this diagram for your wiring. It's very simple, refer to the below picture for my finished harness to see each piece.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_12_33_48

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_13_10_07

Use your test light to find power and ground. I used the feed terminals on the fuse box for positive
Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_13_10_15

and the mount for the fuse box for negative.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_14_40_47

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_14_41_04

For the passenger side, ground your HID ballast to the chassis the same as the driver side. For the positive, run at least a 14ga wire from the positive(red) wire on the ballast over to the +(red) wire on the other ballast. I ran mine under the plastic cover between the core support and the front fascia. I have it un-tucked to show where it's going. It hides very nicely through the core support.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_01_23_13_55_26

All done! Night shots to follow!

Last edited:

Buccal_Up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
Country flag
Nice work, as someone who doesn't excel in wiring projects, would I achieve the same protection if I bought an HID relay kit such as the morimoto kit?

OP
OP
Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are a few shots of the head lights after I installed them. 35w 5000k HID

The scatter on the garage door is the head lights shining off the side of my WRX. The head lights have almost no scatter.
Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! DSC_0009

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! DSC_0017

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! DSC_0015

OP
OP
Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
***edit*** The 55w ballast didn't last very long at all. Switched back to 35w after 3 of the 55w ballast blew. Don't buy cheap 55w ballast, they don't last.

Ok, so I got an update for you. I wanted to see how much brighter 55w 5000k was compared to 35w 5000k. There is quiet a difference in light output. The color is closer to white with the 55w. The 35w had much more blue to them. I'm very happy I switched to 55w.
Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_02_01_18_14_41

35w 5000k Drivers side
Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_02_01_18_14_33

55w 5000k Passenger side

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! 2016_02_01_18_19_10

Both 55w 5000k bulbs.

Last edited:

Buccal_Up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
Country flag
Looks good, you just plugged them into the stock projector? I keep seeing die hard retrofitters cry wolf when people do that but honestly I think the stock projectors look good. Thinking about 35w 5500K morimoto kit, I had that on my last car and liked the way they looked..

any plans for the fogs?

OP
OP
Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, these are in the factory halogen projector.

I agree with die hard retrofitters. In most cases HIDs suck in halogen projectors, but these work pretty well. There is no substitute to having HID bulbs in a proper housing. I'm happy enough with these tho. Maybe after China starts making cheap head lights for 2016 I'll do a proper retrofit, but until then I like these.

I put amber halogens in my fogs. I don't think that lamp will work with HID very well personally, but I'm after light output.

Edman951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T White
OP
OP
Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those are the lights I should have bought. Post some pictures of those after you put them in!

Edman951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T White
Installed my Morimoto HID 55w from http://www.prolightz.com/index.php/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h11.html kits last night.
Install was simple, due to the fact that the kit comes with the pre-wire relays.
So simple, was very surprised and happy with the quality of the harness.
Only down side, is that with pre-wire and terminated kit, you are more limited to placement of the ballast and relays cable length.
Ended up mounting the relays on one of the hood latch bolts.
Passenger relay mounted on a factory bolt holding coolant line. and driver side ballast, bolted using a self tapping screw into the frame.

But 55w is wayyyy to strong like crazy how much these project far and bright.
I have a 2014 BMW with bad ass LED light, and they dont even go as strong, and i get flashed sometime. and my 11 550xi BMW had HID, and not as strong.
I am very worried i will get people flashing me and blinding them. So i will order 35w ballast.
Few pics

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! IMG_9571

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! IMG_9574

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! IMG_9578

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! IMG_9579

Honda Civic 10th gen How to install HID kits with no risk of damaging factory wiring! IMG_9581

Buccal_Up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
Country flag
I got the same kit in 35w i ended tucking in the drivers side ballast on the inside of the fender attached w double sided tape and basically just zip tied the passenger ballast with all the wires/igniter hanging free behind the headlight and its relatively stable, but the passenger side wouldn't fire >.<
taking it to a shop this week that has replacement parts that they can swap in/out.. kinda frustrating since the kit was brand new

from the couple seconds i had the kit on it seemed a little bluer than the LEDs but it probably didnt heat up completely and i guess lights will break in over time, but the looked nice.. i went with 5500K

scotteh20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Pilot SE 4WD, 2007 Yamaha FZ6
Country flag
Installed my Morimoto HID 55w from http://www.prolightz.com/index.php/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h11.html kits last night.
Install was simple, due to the fact that the kit comes with the pre-wire relays.
So simple, was very surprised and happy with the quality of the harness.
Only down side, is that with pre-wire and terminated kit, you are more limited to placement of the ballast and relays cable length.
Ended up mounting the relays on one of the hood latch bolts.
Passenger relay mounted on a factory bolt holding coolant line. and driver side ballast, bolted using a self tapping screw into the frame.

But 55w is wayyyy to strong like crazy how much these project far and bright.
I have a 2014 BMW with bad ass LED light, and they dont even go as strong, and i get flashed sometime. and my 11 550xi BMW had HID, and not as strong.
I am very worried i will get people flashing me and blinding them. So i will order 35w ballast.
Few pics
Good job on the install. What color temp did you end up going with? I'm reading on the weblink you posted that the Morimoto 50w kit is a -1000k color temp. I'm interested in this kit because I'm just overall not happy with the Kensun kit I bought. Mostly due to the packaging it comes in (a heep of items stuffed in a shiny little cheap box. One bulb wasn't even protected by foam or anything. One of the bulb's insulator tubes was cracked). I installed a 55w 5000k Kensun kit with a Morimoto HD relay harness and it works good, however I just wanted it to have a little more blue tint to it. So I ended up putting 6000k Kensun bulbs in it and they are bluer than I expected. I feel like I lost too much "light on the road". One of the bulbs also starting flickering, or wouldn't light up altogether. Just kinda frustrating. I was looking for a slight blue tint because I installed the LED H8 lights in my fog lights that others have installed on this forum.

I personally think somewhere in the 5500k area of light temp would be perfect for the LED daytime running lights and then the slightly blue fog lights. And as luck would have it, Morimoto offers this color temp. I'm just trying to see if I should go with the 50w 5500k or 6500k kit, since they claim the -1000k color temp on the 50w. Anyone else with any experience with the Morimoto kit, feel free to chime in.

Edman, if you have a chance to post a pic or two of the lights themselves in action that would be much appreciated!

Edman951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T White
The Morimoto 5500k are close to the LED, Very Close.

I also ordered some 35watts ballast, i felt the 50w to be to strong and had people flashing me.
Here are a few pics,
50w and 5500k bulbs

Great service and next day shipment from Prolightz.com

Attachments

scotteh20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Pilot SE 4WD, 2007 Yamaha FZ6
Country flag
The Morimoto 5500k are close to the LED, Very Close.

I also ordered some 35watts ballast, i felt the 50w to be to strong and had people flashing me.
Here are a few pics,
50w and 5500k bulbs

Great service and next day shipment from Prolightz.com
Thanks a lot for replying and posting those pictures! Those look great. I'm seriously considering buying the Morimoto kit. I noticed the kit includes their HD relay harness. Unfortunately I already purchased and installed their relay harness, so I would have to pay a restocking fee on the new one they send with the full HID kit :doh: Oh well I guess. I was really impressed with the quality of the harness, and I'm assuming the rest of their HID kit is of the same quality. Thanks again for taking those pics!
Sponsored