How many miles do you have on your Civic?

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Bought it June 30 w/ 7 mi.
Around 2,500 now.
Oil life is at 60%.
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
My first OC was at 5800 miles but man, I'm hoping I didn't go too long cause the MMS was saying it was already at 40% at around 3500 to 4000 miles. i reset the MMS by accident a few times but planned on leaving FF in until 5500 miles anyway cause that's what I did to the Accord when I got it.(wish it was a 2018 Accord, lol) Scared of those metal shavings but glad the assembly lube got a excellent chance of doing its jobs seating things internally. That's why you leave it in is to seat engine parts like valve guides, not the moly, but the additives. keebler elves made the formula.

the Honda oil I noticed doesn't have the calcium or is low in CA, which is good for turbo engines.
It seems that Amsoil may know a thing or two about motor oil as well. Their oil is loaded with calcium and they are claiming 100% protection against LSPI in turbo direct injection engines.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Saw a video from some guy that had 70k miles in one year on his 2016, and was complaining that Honda wouldn't replace the wheel bearing that went out and it shouldn't go out that soon. 70k in one year will probably cause way more problems than that on most cars plus expecting a manufacturer to warranty a part when you are out of warranty is ridiculous.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
That's a lot of miles. If I were putting that kind of miles on a car annually, I'd just lease. There's no point buying then totally trashing the value in one year.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's a lot of miles. If I were putting that kind of miles on a car annually, I'd just lease. There's no point buying then totally trashing the value in one year.
Ever try to do a lease with way higher miles? It can get REAL expensive. I drive about 30k a year and am still trying to figure out the benefit of leasing vs. buying. Tax wise leasing is better. But only till a point if you buy miles at $.20/mile over the standard 15k/year. Which is a common price with dealers.

My elderly parents have nurses that come in weekly and drive 50k plus a year for their job. They all buy instead of lease and then just get new every 2 years and eat the depreciation. Or write it off. I assume they know what's best as they all drive crazy miles.

Leasing has it's place. But for a lot of miles, unless you can buy upfront miles at a low price point, it gets crazy expensive.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Ever try to do a lease with way higher miles? It can get REAL expensive. I drive about 30k a year and am still trying to figure out the benefit of leasing vs. buying. Tax wise leasing is better. But only till a point if you buy miles at $.20/mile over the standard 15k/year. Which is a common price with dealers.

My elderly parents have nurses that come in weekly and drive 50k plus a year for their job. They all buy instead of lease and then just get new every 2 years and eat the depreciation. Or write it off. I assume they know what's best as they all drive crazy miles.

Leasing has it's place. But for a lot of miles, unless you can buy upfront miles at a low price point, it gets crazy expensive.
How does the leasing work with insurance vs owning ? My issue with owning is the value immediately plummets and long-term the maintenance costs is 100% on you. Plus you have maintenance costs which someone mentioned earlier. I think higher mileage (15,000-25,000 miles/year) owning makes sense, but 50,000/miles+ in one year is pretty crazy. You already blow out your mfg warranty for 36,000 miles and less than 2 yrs your powertrain. You'd need to factor in an extended warranty if that's the case. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that kind of mileage in a year without one.

I have a friend who does about 45,000-50,000+ in a year. Every year before he begins (and his coworkers he travels with) lease a new year for the year. Then return and start over again the following year.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
How does the leasing work with insurance vs owning ? My issue with owning is the value immediately plummets and long-term the maintenance costs is 100% on you. Plus you have maintenance costs which someone mentioned earlier. I think higher mileage (15,000-25,000 miles/year) owning makes sense, but 50,000/miles+ in one year is pretty crazy. You already blow out your mfg warranty for 36,000 miles and less than 2 yrs your powertrain. You'd need to factor in an extended warranty if that's the case. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that kind of mileage in a year without one.

I have a friend who does about 45,000-50,000+ in a year. Every year before he begins (and his coworkers he travels with) lease a new year for the year. Then return and start over again the following year.
I'm just trying to figure out this for my situation now so not sure. I believe insurance on the car will rise if you lease. But again for someone using it for business purposes, that's probably another write off so helps a smidge with the costs. I'm with USAA so I'll be asking them soon.

Yes once you go over the standard 36k warranty if you lease and drive well over the warranty miles, you'll be in deep with any mechanical issues. Then an extended warranty may be needed.

Curious, you have friends that drive 45k-50k in a year. How do they handle their leases? Do they buy miles up front? Or do they just eat the $.20-.$25 per mile over? They may get a stipend from their company that makes up for the overages. A lot of companies do this for their employees. I'm a small business on my own so don't have that luxury. I'd be interested on how they handle their 45k-50k leases a year and how they pay for their extra miles.

I have a friend that drives 80k-100k a year for sales around the country and wouldn't even bother with leasing. He just dumps the car off in a trade every year and gets a new one. He always goes with Hyundai's as they have huge rebates. Very rare situation though.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm just trying to figure out this for my situation now so not sure. I believe insurance on the car will rise if you lease. But again for someone using it for business purposes, that's probably another write off so helps a smidge with the costs. I'm with USAA so I'll be asking them soon.

Yes once you go over the standard 36k warranty if you lease and drive well over the warranty miles, you'll be in deep with any mechanical issues. Then an extended warranty may be needed.

Curious, you have friends that drive 45k-50k in a year. How do they handle their leases? Do they buy miles up front? Or do they just eat the $.20-.$25 per mile over? They may get a stipend from their company that makes up for the overages. A lot of companies do this for their employees. I'm a small business on my own so don't have that luxury. I'd be interested on how they handle their 45k-50k leases a year and how they pay for their extra miles.

I have a friend that drives 80k-100k a year for sales around the country and wouldn't even bother with leasing. He just dumps the car off in a trade every year and gets a new one. He always goes with Hyundai's as they have huge rebates. Very rare situation though.

Tbh I don't actually know. His company he works for an group of other staff regularly drive 50k miles a year so that's part of the business. He said they have always leased then turned it in at the end of the year. I assume for the parent company they have ran the numbers. It's pretty typical and his business requires regular travel.

If your friend who sells the Hyundai I'm curious his buy in and sale price if he goes through one car each year. You'd probably need more specifics about the lease as I personally don't know.

My friend said they lease the car and of course pay gas off the company cc.

I suspect it will be pretty similar to the breakeven for having a hybrid vehicle.

I used to own a Prius a long time ago but I got rid of it earlier this year to buy the Civic. The way that the Hybrid Works is that you pay an upfront cost and you gain at long-term you have to break even on your gasoline then you start profiting after X number of years in most circumstances it's usually eight to 10 years just to break even. The biggest assumption that you have with that hybrid is you have no problems with the powertrain like the battery system which cost 5 to $8,000. If there's a problem with the battery between your payback. You totally lost money in your upside down. I have a feeling the same thing as with the Honda Civic assuming once you get past all the warranty. You would probably have to decide whether you can make the Civic last probably 200 250,000 or whatever the miles are without any major repair. If there's a problem with the transmission or the engine and you're on the hook financially for that then probably would have not been a good deal compared to leasing. Probably need to get full quotes and numbers before I could really decide.

TypeR559

First Name
Baldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Integra, 17 Civic Si
I got my car Sep 29 with 3 miles, now it has 941 miles.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Is 6k miles since end of May a lot? I'm sure it will flux down and adjust. I guess I could make an excuse and buy a Sport when this model year ends if my miles get too long but it's trending down anyhow.
Sponsored