First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone bought the hondata ultimate tune from @VitViper ? If so what mods have you done to your vehicle and hows it running now after the tune? Debating whether or not to keep hondata or to join the bandwagon and get ktuner lol (do not get offended guys) Thanks!
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Probably should invest in an aftermarket clutch if you wanting to push your Si more then get a custom tune

OP
OP
VidaDeX

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably should invest in an aftermarket clutch if you wanting to push your Si more then get a custom tune
Planning to get a stage 3 clutch prior to tune

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Has anyone bought the hondata ultimate tune from @VitViper ? If so what mods have you done to your vehicle and hows it running now after the tune? Debating whether or not to keep hondata or to join the bandwagon and get ktuner lol (do not get offended guys) Thanks!
I think the KTuner bandwagon of recent is just that - a bandwagon on parts of this forum. Both the KTuner and FlashPro are great products, and in the hands of a competent tuner, both products will give the same overall power gains if you use the same fuel type. To be honest, for most customers, a custom tune is not even needed. There is actually not that much to tune on this new Civic, at least compared to previous generations. Keep in mind this 10th Gen Civic factory ECU automatically optimizes for ignition timing, so there is no real need to tune the timing tables unless you're running race fuel (which the FlashPro can handle as well). If you try to advance timing beyond what the factory ECU calls for given the current knock level, you could potentially damage your motor. Thus, the main things left to tune are the air/fuel ratio targets, boost levels, and MAF sensor tables (for aftermarket intakes). Also, the ECU automatically adjusts fuel amounts to hit the air/fuel ratio targets you set as well. Of course there are some "gotchas" that you need to watch out for if you tune the vehicle yourself, but for the most part it is very straightforward.

There are other features besides just the powergains that make devices like the FlashPro a great buy. For example, on the FlashPro you can tune out rev hang to your liking by changing the fuel overrun table and on CVT transmissions you can adjust the torque limit tables (to limit the torque going to your CVT as a failsafe to prevent any transmission issues with higher boost levels). There's also Full Throttle Shifting and Launch Control as well for manual transmissions :) Many other cool features too.

I can tell you from experience the 2017 Si FlashPro basemaps work really well, and there is really not much to change. Assuming you have the Race FlashPro, it is easy (and fun) to make minor adjustments with FlashPro Manager if you're comfortable with that. Hondata will be releasing some videos over the next couple months that should help in that regard.

Hope this info helps!

Last edited:

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I think the KTuner bandwagon of recent is just that - a bandwagon on parts of this forum. Both the KTuner and FlashPro are great products, and in the hands of a competent tuner, both products will give the same overall power gains if you use the same fuel type. To be honest, for most customers, a custom tune is not even needed. There is actually not that much to tune on this new Civic, at least compared to previous generations. Keep in mind this 10th Gen Civic factory ECU automatically optimizes for ignition timing, so there is no real need to tune the timing tables unless you're running race fuel (which the FlashPro can handle as well). If you try to advance timing beyond what the factory ECU calls for given the current knock level, you could potentially damage your motor. Thus, the main things left to tune are the air/fuel ratio targets, boost levels, and MAF sensor tables (for aftermarket intakes). Also, the ECU automatically adjusts fuel amounts to hit the air/fuel ratio targets you set as well. Of course there are some "gotchas" that you need to watch out for if you tune the vehicle yourself, but for the most part it is very straightforward.

There are other features besides just the powergains that make devices like the FlashPro a great buy. For example, on the FlashPro you can tune out rev hang to your liking by changing the fuel overrun table and on CVT transmissions you can adjust the torque limit tables (to limit the torque going to your CVT as a failsafe to prevent any transmission issues with higher boost levels). There's also Full Throttle Shifting and Launch Control as well for manual transmissions :) Many other cool features too.

I can tell you from experience the 2017 Si FlashPro basemaps work really well, and there is really not much to change. Assuming you have the Race FlashPro, it is easy (and fun) to make minor adjustments with FlashPro Manager if you're comfortable with that. Hondata will be releasing some videos over the next couple months that should help in that regard.

Hope this info helps!
There's a fair amount of misinformation in that response.

There is a TON of power left on the table with adjustments to the incorrectly-named-in-FlashPro ignition base table. In fact, that's where most of the power lies. AFR differences from 10.8-12.0 don't amount to much at WOT, but a few degrees of ignition advance wakes it up, even on fuel like 93 octane.

Have you ever actually tuned these cars with both systems?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No doubt you'll make more power by advancing ignition beyond what the Honda ignition strategy calls for, but I believe it would be to the long term detriment of the engine. Going overboard on the timing is going to cause a lot more stress on the motor than increasing boost and using the factory timing / knock control settings. Just my 2 cents.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No doubt you'll make more power by advancing ignition beyond what the Honda ignition strategy calls for, but I believe it would be to the long term detriment of the engine. Going overboard on the timing is going to cause a lot more stress on the motor than increasing boost and using the factory timing / knock control settings. Just my 2 cents.
Once more, have you ever tuned one of these engines?

Going 'overboard' on ignition advance would be continuing to add after the actual knock limit of the fuel being used has been reached, and no one ever recommended that. :)

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, I have tuned these engines quite a bit, both the Si and non-Si for racing and R&D purposes. From my experience, the factory ignition strategy already places the timing in an area that is quite close to knock, and that is why I opt to not advance the timing further unless using race fuel (or E85).

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, I have tuned these engines quite a bit, both the Si and non-Si for racing and R&D purposes. From my experience, the factory ignition strategy already places the timing in an area that is quite close to knock, and that is why I opt to not advance the timing further unless using race fuel (or E85).
It really doesn't, though, especially as torque is on the decline. On 93 oct you can get away with quite a bit more advance before the knock control decides to even move... and the knock interpretation is pretty good on these.

You can opt not to actually tune the car all you want, but please don't tell others not to. You're doing nothing more than stifling the growth of this platform by attempting to further the notion that tuning these cars is black magic; and it's not.

OP
OP
VidaDeX

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys don't mean to get in between your conversation but can someone help me tune my flashpro to where im getting the full advantage of the new PRL FP/DP. It' catless as well, thanks in advance.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Hey guys don't mean to get in between your conversation but can someone help me tune my flashpro to where im getting the full advantage of the new PRL FP/DP. It' catless as well, thanks in advance.
take it to a tuner
@D-RobIMW (www.innovative-motorworks.com) should be near you. I gotten 4 or 5 engines tuned at his shop. John is who usually tunes my car but Rob does good work too. He also owns a Si

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually it was your conversation we interrupted pretty much. lol. Hopefully we provided some info useful to you.

OP
OP
VidaDeX

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Y
Actually it was your conversation we interrupted pretty much. lol. Hopefully we provided some info useful to you.
Haha its okay, quick question does hondata have anything to delete the CEL from the cat less downpipe?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Y

Haha its okay, quick question does hondata have anything to delete the CEL from the cat less downpipe?
Yes, but only on the Race FlashPro for off-road racing use. That feature is under the Closed Loop section.

OP
OP
VidaDeX

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, but only on the Race FlashPro for off-road racing use. That feature is under the Closed Loop section.
Awesome, thank you. Also, of course only for off road racing use.
Sponsored