Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I have been in close communication with Doug since FlashPro came out. It has nothing to do with scaring others away from other tuners.
I would say the same thing.

Somebody will blow a CVT soon, and if they do I bet they won't even post about it here because of the "we told you so" comments of shame. Be patient, it'll happen sipper.
People are blowing up MT's, so what? I've watched tuners throw rods on 8th and 9th gens (especially 9th gens) left and right even on 200hp n/a bolt on cars because they are overdoing the tunes. It seems that by the logic going around anytime anything breaks it's totally the tuners or the software provider's fault.

Or... maybe the more logical explanation is -- people go into it knowing when they push their car something may break.

This is simply education, a core guiding factor since the foundation our company. We have been asked many times when you are going to increase the limits. This is to explain what happens and why when you do. We test harder than anyone (except Honda)
Sure. :)

.... so the belt slipped at maximum torque, you backed off, then tested with +6psi calibration until you were satisfied with reliability. but you have a picture of a belt unscathed on 6psi tune... either way the belt slipped at maximum torque. so don't tune your CVT to maximum torque (obviously)
Big resounding "duh".
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The new Civic Si has only 192 torque. Just be happy with 6psi and 200 torque. But if Hondata can't tell us when it failed? Why tell us it failed at all?

He's not going to answer it. He stated that their +6psi around 200tq is a safe limit. Could you go more? Maybe. He's protecting Hondata and Honda from being responsible on people destroying their transmission. if he release a number then people will aim slightly below that number. If CVT starts to break, people will blame Hondata on his false numbers.

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@NorthernEX-T well I'm glad your happy with it honestly, I would like a little more. not looking to make enemies here. you've been here since the beginning. I'm confident a custom tune Wont make much of a difference, maybe you'll disagree that's ok. btw UTI, Ford F.A.C.T graduate. whats the difference between a mechanic and a technician?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
@NorthernEX-T well I'm glad your happy with it honestly, I would like a little more. not looking to make enemies here. you've been here since the beginning. I'm confident a custom tune Wont make much of a difference, maybe you'll disagree that's ok. btw UTI, Ford F.A.C.T graduate. whats the difference between a mechanic and a technician?
No difference, what matters to me is how you work and prove your findings. I'm sure there's a technical difference but I'm "classified" as a technician, call me a mechanic, doesn't matter to me. A custom tune worrys me if you push more torque than stock. A custom tune to clean the car up and fine tune the parameters to make it run more efficient doesn't worry me..

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think Hondata got 500 torque and 500 Hp out of that little 1.5L. So what I understand is as long as you keep it under 499 Torque you should be cool. AndyBoyd102 go at it. Don't worry about a dyno. ;)

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I don't know if anyone has thought about this or not, but the Honda Goldwing has a bigger motor than 1.5T... That's wild...Never thought I'd see that...:offtopic: