Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Removing the transmission is the same as any other Honda transmission. The belts and drive cones would need to be replaced - which is a large part of the transmission assembly. I am not sure they are available as separate items so the time and cost of this is unknown. We have not done a complete disassembly on this transmission. My guess is that Honda sells this as a complete unit with no Honda technician input.

Here's the image of the scored belt for a side by side comparison.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT CVT drive belt maximum engine torque
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Removing the transmission is the same as any other Honda transmission. The belts and drive cones would need to be replaced - which is a large part of the transmission assembly. I am not sure they are available as separate items so the time and cost of this is unknown. We have not done a complete disassembly on this transmission. My guess is that Honda sells this as a complete unit with no Honda technician input.
i just looked, looks like they are not available by itself.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
:wave: question has yet to be answered Northern... what's over torqued? what caused the scoring? what levels? can you go for a custom tune? or should you stay at base. that's what people want to know.
Ok. It's really easy to me.

The belt is over torqued.
The excessive forces between the cone and the belt is causing scoring. (In a nutshell, I'm not a CVT wiz)
Levels? More than the 6psi tune.
Custom tune? I'd say no and be patient with @Hondata to release either an updated tune, or monitor it yourself and figure out what needs to be cleaned up to make extra safe (for the engine)
You shouldn't put more power to it than with the +6psi tune.
I have it exactly like this and am more than satisfied for a non Sport Injected civic (Si)
End.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
:wave: question has yet to be answered Northern... what's over torqued? what caused the scoring? what levels? can you go for a custom tune? or should you stay at base. that's what people want to know.
He's not going to answer it. He stated that their +6psi around 200tq is a safe limit. Could you go more? Maybe. He's protecting Hondata and Honda from being responsible on people destroying their transmission. if he release a number then people will aim slightly below that number. If CVT starts to break, people will blame Hondata on his false numbers.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok. If you tune the L15 Turbo to make the maximum torque it is capable of making, in our case with:
  • 91 octane fuel
  • stock intake
  • catalytic converter
  • stock exhaust

you will damage the transmission in the way illustrated. The scoring was caused by the belt slipping against the drive cones.

The CVT drive mechanism can only reliably transmit a certain level of torque. We don't have that number. Honda does. So we can't give it to you. So there was only one way to find out. By tuning the engine for maximum torque it caused the drive belt to slip against the cones. Did you watch the explanatory video? Over-torque - by definition, is applying a level of torque that is higher than the rated torque capacity of this transmission.

We pushed it until it failed. Backed it off, then tested for a long period of time with the + 6psi calibration under varying conditions. Only when we were satisfied with its reliability we released the FlashPro.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
best answer I've seen, I can speculate that this video is more towards scaring everyone from Ktuner. however there are already a few running custom tunes that are quite happier with there Ktuner custom tune over the hondata +6psi to no ill effect.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
best answer I've seen, I can speculate that this video is more towards scaring everyone from Ktuner. however there are already a few running custom tunes that are quite happier with there Ktuner custom tune over the hondata +6psi to no ill effect.
I have been in close communication with Doug since FlashPro came out. It has nothing to do with scaring others away from other tuners.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody will blow a CVT soon, and if they do I bet they won't even post about it here because of the "we told you so" comments of shame. Be patient, it'll happen sipper.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is simply education, a core guiding factor since the foundation our company. We have been asked many times when you are going to increase the limits. This is to explain what happens and why when you do. We test harder than anyone (except Honda)

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
Somebody will blow a CVT soon, and if they do I bet they won't even post about it here because of the "we told you so" comments of shame. Be patient, it'll happen sipper.

Lol i thought exactly the same,

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok. If you tune the L15 Turbo to make the maximum torque it is capable of making, in our case with:
  • 91 octane fuel
  • stock intake
  • catalytic converter
  • stock exhaust
you will damage the transmission in the way illustrated. The scoring was caused by the belt slipping against the drive cones.

We pushed it until it failed. Backed it off, then tested for a long period of time with the + 6psi calibration under varying conditions. Only when we were satisfied with its reliability we released the FlashPro.
.... so the belt slipped at maximum torque, you backed off, then tested with +6psi calibration until you were satisfied with reliability. but you have a picture of a belt unscathed on 6psi tune... either way the belt slipped at maximum torque. so don't tune your CVT to maximum torque (obviously)

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Northern your a little biased since you purchased Hondata. so I'm surprised your stepping in as much as you are, without really saying anything at all.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Northern your a little biased since you purchased Hondata. so I'm surprised your stepping in as much as you are, without really saying anything at all.
I purchased Hondata because of the reliability they have proven to have over the years. And they are proving this more and more with these findings. I understand mechanics a lot more than the average person and I feel like the CVT is at its maximum amount of safe stress levels / torque output on the 6psi tune. I don't want to argue about this.
Sponsored