Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So, for anyone running above stock with a CVT, would anything (cooler aside) such as better fluid or additives preserve the integrity of the belt?

I got my civic after the transmission in my old P.O.S. car shit the bed and would slip from ~15-32mph, and under anything other than light acceleration. You know you either have great underwear or a tight sphincter when you're on a 4-5 lane highway and keep trying to pass Corollas, Jettas, and Volvos, etc. before a big rig closes the gap at 65mph. When it got to the point of getting up to a yellow light and thinking, "nahhhh, Ima chill till green", I knew it was time.
I've been debating switching to AMSOIL cvt fluid..
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the video Jason was driving your CVT. He stated that the only difference was the flash. Nothing else. But it really doesn't matter Doug. You're pretty awesome in what you have achieved. Sharing awareness to over molding the CVT was a good thing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT 2rrvrpe

Incorrect. Intakes add power and torque at the top end of rev range. They add maybe 1lb-ft torque around 3000-3500. At that RPM the stock airbox is minimally restrictive.

The 241 torque you refer to is from the MT calibration not the CVT.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
In the video Jason was driving your CVT. He stated that the only difference was the flash. Nothing else. But it really doesn't matter Doug. You're pretty awesome in what you have achieved. Sharing awareness to over molding the CVT was a good thing.

Ok

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
There's nothing confusing.
Doug stated that his recommended safe power is 200-205 wtq. Could you push it higher and be safe? Maybe. He has not tested it. All he did was tune the engine for more TQ til the CVT started to slip. Obviously he's not going to state that power level since he doesn't want to be responsible for people breaking their transmission.

Let's for say the cvt started to slip at 250tq. People will tune the engine to 240tq to think its safe. If the CVT breaks... who are they going to blame since someone said the cvt limit is 249tq.

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

And who made that video?! :cool: NOT @Hondata

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah Mr. Hondata doesn't want to be responsible for anything. Jason was given the wrong info. Sport mode vs normal, premium fuel vs standard. And we didn't really get to see under that Hondata "stock hood" fully molded out. That now has a F up cvt transmission. But it was a manual not a cvt.. Baaa Baaaa Whatever.

And who made that video?! :cool: NOT @Hondata

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Mr. Hondata doesn't want to be responsible for anything. Jason was given the wrong info. Sport mode vs normal, premium fuel vs standard. And we didn't really get to see under that Hondata "stock hood". That now has a F up cvt transmission. But it was a manual not a cvt.. Baaa Baaaa Whatever.
Ya I'm sure that's how it went.. smh, Hondapro Jason still thinks the CTR weighs 2800LBS too..

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know about that but the CTR does have an alloy hood. ;) Google says the 2017 hatchback weighs 2,815 to 3,003 lbs. He may be right.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about that but the CTR does have an alloy hood. ;) Google says the 2017 hatchback weighs 2,815 to 3,003 lbs. He may be right.
Yeah especially when Honda has said it weighs 35kg less than the FK2 o_O party on HondaPro..

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I can't help but wonder if a lot of this isn't "pre-posturing" for the "soon, you'll be able to install flashpro at some of the Honda dealerships" that HPJ mentions at the end of the vid. Will be interesting to see the warranty details with that arrangement.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny thing is, every dealer I talk to says Honda is making very few manuals because they think no one wants them anymore. LMFAO! Yet every time I see a manual trans civic around here it disappears in a few hours. People love that CVT though.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Funny thing is, every dealer I talk to says Honda is making very few manuals because they think no one wants them anymore. LMFAO! Yet every time I see a manual trans civic around here it disappears in a few hours. People love that CVT though.
'Murikanz love that CVT:

When you're busy devouring a caramel pecanbon, washing it down with a tasty big gulp, AND texting ... who's got time for a gear shift?

"At last count, just 3.9 percent of cars sold in U.S. were built with manual transmissions, but in the rest of the world, manual transmissions are still overwhelmingly the top choice. In Europe and Japan, for example, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions."
https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/2805/manual-vs-automatic/

/oh, .. and I'd bet dollars to cinnibons that my manual gets sweeter mpg's than the CVT, regardless of what Honda's Monroney says

Last edited:

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
"At last count, just 3.9 percent of cars sold in U.S. were built with manual transmissions, but in the rest of the world, manual transmissions are still overwhelmingly the top choice. In Europe and Japan, for example, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions."
Maybe that's why the European models get all the high end sensing features on m/t but we don't. I would love to have all the features available to yall.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well yeah a manual I find myself accelerating faster and coasting a lot. I always get better mileage with a 6speed. I have been on the lookout for a manual sport hatch for months and still haven't found one. My dealer said there is one 4 states in pearl white. Blaaa no way.

'Murikanz love that CVT:

When you're busy devouring a caramel pecanbon, washing it down with a tasty big gulp, AND texting ... who's got time for a gear shift?

/oh, .. and I'd bet dollars to cinnibons that my manual gets sweeter mpg's than the CVT, regardless of what Honda's Monroney says
Sponsored