Hondata Introduces Reflash for the 2016 Civic 1.5T Turbo

gotVTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Sounds like you got the Hondata reflash from CorSport. The ECU relearn is not the issue - all our ECUs have to re-learn every time the battery is disconnected/discharged and it just "fine tunes" to the engine it's mated with. Make sure everything was put back together correctly when you installed the SRI. The high idle, if not just from a cold start, implies there may be an air leak downstream of the SRI. (This is assuming nothing was damaged handling the ECU during removal and reinstallation.) Next step is to see if the engine/ECU is throwing a code, or remove SRI and see if problem still exists.
Got it from blacktrax actually. Had to ship my ECU to Hondata though. High idle is normal now. Another thing I thought of is there was a recent article on the home page here titled "5 Things you should never do with CVT". The first comment said to add - Don't press the gas until the car goes into "gear" and that seems to be the issue. I've been able to avoid the issue by waiting a fraction of a second after letting off the brake before applying gas. I'll try disconnecting the ECU today for a while then plugging it back in and then report back if the issue persists.
Sponsored

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
@gotVTEC How was the service at blacktrax? Have you been there before? Thinking about going to them if I get this done in the future.

gotVTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
@gotVTEC How was the service at blacktrax? Have you been there before? Thinking about going to them if I get this done in the future.
Blacktrax service was great. Really just had to fill out the paperwork and pay for the ECU flash there. Before I left the tech showed me how to remove the ECU. Really easy. Just two 10mm bolts and unlatch the plugs. I asked about dyno service but they said their Dyno wasn't able to do CVT runs so they referred me to DNR in Hayward but I haven't had time to follow up on that yet. As far as the stalling/stuttering issue, I am happy to report that since I have "rebooted" the ECU I am unable to reproduce the issue.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Honda seems to be concerned with the CVT handling additional torque. The new Sport 6MT has an increase of 15 lb/ft of torque to 177 lb/ft, yet the CVT Sport is limited to 162 lb/ft. I wonder if the CVT can handle additional torque over the long term.

http://hondanews.com/releases/all-n...ack-arrives-this-fall-in-north-america?page=2

"180 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque in the Sport and the all-new Sport Touring grade with CVT and 180 horsepower and 177 lb.-ft. of torque in the Sport with 6-speed manual."

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda seems to be concerned with the CVT handling additional torque. The new Sport 6MT has an increase of 15 lb/ft of torque to 177 lb/ft, yet the CVT Sport is limited to 162 lb/ft. I wonder if the CVT can handle additional torque over the long term.

http://hondanews.com/releases/all-n...ack-arrives-this-fall-in-north-america?page=2

"180 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque in the Sport and the all-new Sport Touring grade with CVT and 180 horsepower and 177 lb.-ft. of torque in the Sport with 6-speed manual."
Thanks for the link!

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey

I dont think the difference is because of the fear the CVT will break. They are using the same CVT in the accord V-6 which has over 200 in HP and ib-ft. Plus that is all flywheel numbers.

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima
I dont think the difference is because of the fear the CVT will break. They are using the same CVT in the accord V-6 which has over 200 in HP and ib-ft. Plus that is all flywheel numbers.
When I check on Honda's website, the accord v6 is listed with an automatic transmission, not a CVT.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I check on Honda's website, the accord v6 is listed with an automatic transmission, not a CVT.
If they are using the 4 cylinder CVT accord, that engine only puts out about 185hp that's right up there with ours...the sport is 189 (4cyl)

michaelnyden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, 2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
This is most likely done for marketing reasons, bell housing mating or packaging reasons, or powerband reasons more than anything else. I seriously doubt Honda has put a cvt in our cars that is maxed out of the box, Honda has never done that with anything I have found.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
whats up with that...?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Last edited:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
This is most likely done for marketing reasons, bell housing mating or packaging reasons, or powerband reasons more than anything else. I seriously doubt Honda has put a cvt in our cars that is maxed out of the box, Honda has never done that with anything I have found.
I think is is for powerband reasons. The CVT can hold RPM at peak torque and adjust the ratio to optimize power delivery based on situation. The manual has to rev up to that powerband, so if there's not enough torque, the engine will feel like it's bogging. You need a broader torque curve to make manual more fun to drive. Also, I agree it's also for marketing. If someone is buying a sporty car, paper performance numbers matter.
Sponsored