Hondata Flex Fuel upgrade - 265 hp and 285 lb-ft on a stock Si

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Just saw this on FB from Quantum Race Works
"A little teaser shot of our flex fuel kit for 10th Gen civic's. This Single bracket holds the ktuner converter box and the flex sensor. Fuel lines and a sub harness will also be supplied with the kit for a full plug and play application. Kits should be complete and ready to roll by end of next week."

Hopefully they will mark it at a reasonable price. Very clean setup. This will work on Hondata with a KTuner convertor . KTuner said the settings to use is
.5v=0
4.5v=100

Hopefully we can see more items in the future from competitors where it can be interchangeable on either system.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flex Fuel upgrade - 265 hp and 285 lb-ft on a stock Si 23675035_1978751365729511_1452883094876376920_o
Sponsored

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just saw this on FB from Quantum Race Works
"A little teaser shot of our flex fuel kit for 10th Gen civic's. This Single bracket holds the ktuner converter box and the flex sensor. Fuel lines and a sub harness will also be supplied with the kit for a full plug and play application. Kits should be complete and ready to roll by end of next week."

Hopefully they will mark it at a reasonable price. Very clean setup. This will work on Hondata with a KTuner convertor . KTuner said the settings to use is
.5v=0
4.5v=100

Hopefully we can see more items in the future where it can be interchangeable on either system.

23675035_1978751365729511_1452883094876376920_o.jpg
Very nice.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I found plugs that fit perfectly into the ECT2 plug. This will be perfect for anyone doing a DiY kit. You just have to modify it a little bit. Just shave the side and top ribs off with a knife
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flex Fuel upgrade - 265 hp and 285 lb-ft on a stock Si upload_2017-11-21_18-58-56

Test fitting it on ECT1 plug ( ECT2 uses the same plug on the lower radiator)
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flex Fuel upgrade - 265 hp and 285 lb-ft on a stock Si upload_2017-11-21_18-59-43

2 pin HX .040 Male Connector - with Terminals and seals
Terminals Fit wire size .5 - 1.3 mm (18-22 AWG) Japan
6188-0589
This Connector has Center Rib

I bought my from http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-series.html. It's the 2nd plug on the site

List of some of the DIY kits.
Innovate Motorsports 3904 MTX-D $210
KTuner Flex Fuel converter box $99 + GM flex fuel sensor
Zeitronix ECA-2 $299

Add Flex Fuel as cheap as $250 on either system! AN lines/fitting is about $80-100 depending where you get your parts.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Has the current Civic been designed for this to not happen?
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/ethanol-damage-engine.htm
"A 2012 study by Auto Alliance showed that some cars (model years 2001 to 2009) showed internal engine damage as the result of using an ethanol fuel blend. Damage to the valves and valve seats was evident in some of the cars tested."

Perhaps, but even for a 2018 Civic, Honda says in the owners manual:
"Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 15% ethanol by volume."

https://www.torquenews.com/1574/e15-gasoline-blend-will-damage-your-2-year-or-older-honda-civic
"They'll void your factory warranty for using E15,E20 and E85 fuel blends."

Hopefully they've got all these potential problems solved:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html
:eek:

Also note, ethanol will absorb water a lot more than gasoline, and has a shorter shelf life.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
KTuner Flex fuel DIy Kit $220 ( correct me on this if im wrong @KTuner)
We make only the flex fuel converter box, which is $99. Sensor can be sourced many places at many different prices.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Has the current Civic been designed for this to not happen?
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/ethanol-damage-engine.htm
"A 2012 study by Auto Alliance showed that some cars (model years 2001 to 2009) showed internal engine damage as the result of using an ethanol fuel blend. Damage to the valves and valve seats was evident in some of the cars tested."

Perhaps, but even for a 2018 Civic, Honda says in the owners manual:
"Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 15% ethanol by volume."

https://www.torquenews.com/1574/e15-gasoline-blend-will-damage-your-2-year-or-older-honda-civic
"They'll void your factory warranty for using E15,E20 and E85 fuel blends."

Hopefully they've got all these potential problems solved:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html
:eek:

Also note, ethanol will absorb water a lot more than gasoline, and has a shorter shelf life.
In other countries, such a Brazil, these Civics routinely run about 27% ethanol because that's what the regular pump gas is. Since this is more or less a "world vehicle" for this generation, I expected the U.S. Civic probably has similar ethanol resiliency. I know at least the fuel lines are ethanol compatible since they have an inner ETFE coating.

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Does the ECU really need to see that sensor in order to be successful here? What if you run the fuel and the tune without the sensor? What if you were less aggressive? You can still view ignition timing and run less boost in the event that the knock count is high. I just want to throw a few gallons in mixed with 91 and maybe run 22-24 psi, no 4th or 5th gear pulls just to have a little fun.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Does the ECU really need to see that sensor in order to be successful here? What if you run the fuel and the tune without the sensor? What if you were less aggressive? You can still view ignition timing and run less boost in the event that the knock count is high. I just want to throw a few gallons in mixed with 91 and maybe run 22-24 psi, no 4th or 5th gear pulls just to have a little fun.
Yes it needs the sensor. And if you don’t have a upgraded clutch then why target psi levels that will make you slip?

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Yes it needs the sensor. And if you don’t have a upgraded clutch then why target psi levels that will make you slip?
If I feel it slip I will get a clutch... I like first and second gear pulls... I put some Sunoco 100 octane in with no ethanol and ran those boost levels just fine with no slippage and decent ignition timing. I understand the importance of viewing ethanol content for the hardcore guy... Correct me if I am wrong, the sensor allows you to see ethanol content. What else does it do?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
If I feel it slip I will get a clutch... I like first and second gear pulls... I put some Sunoco 100 octane in with no ethanol and ran those boost levels just fine with no slippage and decent ignition timing. I understand the importance of viewing ethanol content for the hardcore guy... Correct me if I am wrong, the sensor allows you to see ethanol content. What else does it do?
You need to use the sensor in order to make the tune work for flex fuel. It’s a special calibration so you can take advantage of the blends, The sensor works with the Ktuner unit so you can see your enthanol content on the screen. Surprised you don’t know this. There’s many threads already on a few different flex fuel units.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you want to have to blend the correct ethanol % all the time to keep the same ethanol % in your fuel system, you technically can run it without the sensor. But then, it wouldn't be called flex fuel.

The flex fuel is so you don't have to do that. The ECU will automatically adjust the fuel/timing curves to accommodate w/e ethanol % is in your fuel system. Your able to run pump gas if you are going on a long distance drive to places without E85 or be able to pump high ethanol % if your going to the race track. That is not possible if you only have one tune for a certain Ethanol Blend.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want to have to blend the correct ethanol % all the time to keep the same ethanol % in your fuel system, you technically can run it without the sensor. But then, it wouldn't be called flex fuel.

The flex fuel is so you don't have to do that. The ECU will automatically adjust the fuel/timing curves to accommodate w/e ethanol % is in your fuel system. Your able to run pump gas if you are going on a long distance drive to places without E85 or be able to pump high ethanol % if your going to the race track. That is not possible if you only have one tune for a certain Ethanol Blend.
For example, I do not have the flex fuel kit from either company. I have a tune for ~30% ethanol blend, If I run that tune I have to fill with a certain amount of e85 and 93 each time. If I dont have e85 around, I have to flash to my 93 octane tune. So I paid for 2 tunes to be able to run ethanol. With these kits and the sensor, you can run whatever, whenever and the ECU should accommodate for the ethanol blend automatically.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
For example, I do not have the flex fuel kit from either company. I have a tune for ~30% ethanol blend, If I run that tune I have to fill with a certain amount of e85 and 93 each time. If I dont have e85 around, I have to flash to my 93 octane tune. So I paid for 2 tunes to be able to run ethanol. With these kits and the sensor, you can run whatever, whenever and the ECU should accommodate for the ethanol blend automatically.
It's rather convenient, and I might do it in the future, but IMO, at the moment it's not a necessity and I'd rather spend $300-$600 on other mods. The fuel here seems to be consistently 80-90%, so I'm fine with testing, and blending the right amount, even though it takes up a bit more time. Plus, if the rare occasion arises where I have to flash back to my 93 map, not that big of a deal, it takes all of five minutes.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's rather convenient, and I might do it in the future, but IMO, at the moment it's not a necessity and I'd rather spend $300-$600 on other mods. The fuel here seems to be consistently 80-90%, so I'm fine with testing, and blending the right amount, even though it takes up a bit more time. Plus, if the rare occasion arises where I have to flash back to my 93 map, not that big of a deal, it takes all of five minutes.
If the ktuner flex fuel kit had been out before I did the other tunes, I would go that route for sure. But since Im already where Im at, Im fine with what I have.
Sponsored