Hondata FlashPro "spirited driving" impressions

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
So I finally got the FlashPro for my 2016 EX-T sedan. First off, I would like to say I only got it because I will be able to re-use it on an Si (which I plan to trade in for in a couple years). I had some concerns about how this tune would perform on a CVT EX-T, and as it turns out those concerns proved fairly accurate.

Weather: when it's hot outside, the car feels pretty much just as slow as it always did when it was hot outside. The tune can't do anything about this. If anything, the extra boost is probably creating even more heat. The Si comes with a better intercooler and intake, which should help with this issue.

CVT: this is the really big issue for me. Yes, response is (usually) better with the tune, but it's still far from perfect. Every once in a while, I will floor it, and the rpms will go up slowly, hesitate, and only then the car will start to pull hard. I must say this is rather frustrating, as it pretty much ruins that whole feeling of being pushed back in your seat when accelerating. It does go fast eventually, but that weird delay is such a buzz kill.

Another CVT issue: it gets very hot under extended periods of aggressive driving. I've taken my car on quite a few canyon runs (both before and after getting the tune). Even before the tune, you could hear the CVT whine louder towards the end of a spirited drive. Now it only takes a few minutes for the transmission to start whining in the canyons. At the end of a hard run, I can actually feel the heat coming off it inside the car, and giving it some gas immediately causes a fairly loud whine. These transmissions just weren't designed for performance driving. Of course, this won't be an issue on the Si because manual.

Handling: with how much faster I can approach/exit corners now, the floaty suspension and shitty all-season tires really make themselves known. Again, the Si will take care of this.

Overall, if this tune was just for my current car, I would be slightly disappointed. When it works, it works great, and the car definitely feels much faster. But that's only when the conditions are optimal. I don't always get the performance I expect when I give it throttle, and that inconsistency is a pretty big let down. I know just how fast the car can feel when everything goes right and it rockets away, so not being able to reach that full potential every time can be frustrating.

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing Hondata. It is just a software reflash after all, and there's only so much it can do within the physical limits of the car.

I think the tune will be much more effective and consistent on the Si, thanks to better cooling, airflow, and no CVT to worry about.

As for now, it's fun to play around with, but if you have a CVT Civic and are considering tuning it, be realistic and don't expect it to transform into a performance car, because there's only so much a software reflash can do on what is otherwise an economy commuter car. If you're just looking for a bit more passing power on your daily commute, it's good for that.

Oh and by the way, a 2013 GTI with a stage 1 tune is still faster, but you will be faster than a stock 2005 WRX. In case anyone wanted some reference to other cars.
Sponsored

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Good write up. Couple questions since you seem to be critical of the little details like I am. When I had a reflash on my 12 and 15 Si, small quirks would pop up, such as sometimes having an odd idle or longer start up times, maybe random knock occurrences. Have you experienced anything like this? Or has it been just as good as stock but with a bump in power / heat? Does the extra heat give you any concern? This might be the first car I actually keep past 100k miles. For me the +6 flash would mostly be for better passing power especially on hills which we have a lot of and maybe occasional fun. You mention the rpms will go up, hesitate and then begin to pull, did it also do this stock?

Thanks a bunch :)

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Good write up. Couple questions since you seem to be critical of the little details like I am. When I had a reflash on my 12 and 15 Si, small quirks would pop up, such as sometimes having an odd idle or longer start up times, maybe random knock occurrences. Have you experienced anything like this? Or has it been just as good as stock but with a bump in power / heat? Does the extra heat give you any concern? This might be the first car I actually keep past 100k miles. For me the +6 flash would mostly be for better passing power especially on hills which we have a lot of and maybe occasional fun. You mention the rpms will go up, hesitate and then begin to pull, did it also do this stock?

Yes, sometimes it does seem to idle kind of odd. But it's not a big deal to me since (a) I don't plan to keep the car that long and (b) my previous car was a 2000 Miata which also did stuff like that.

The extra heat makes me want to back off and take it easy just to be on the safe side. I don't know just how quickly too much heat transfers into any kind of significant damage.

The weird delayed throttle response was a stock characteristic as well. I should note that for the most part, throttle response is sharper with the tune. But every once in a while there's a slight hiccup and it's more noticeable when you're waiting for more power.

Honestly the car feels much better with the tune, epecially on the highway. It gets up to 100 mph effortlessly, and it's a great feeling knowing you can easily pass any traffic in front of you with ease. I also very roughly estimated my 0-60 times, and it's over half a second quicker. The extra torque is definitely noticeable going uphill. My local canyon route has a couple long steep straights and it hammers up those hills pretty good.

I still think this tune is the best bang for your buck mod for this car, though it's not exactly cheap. For daily commuting and mildly spirited cruising, it works just fine. For me personally, I think this tune on an Si would fix most of my concerns.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Interesting.....I knew going into it not to expect too much BUT I really like what the 6psi FlashPro did on my 17 CVT Sport HB, nightand day if you ask me but it sounds like you got the wrong car.......as for handling you really got the wrong car , what did you expect out of the EXT trim? And I've never noticed any whining noise from my CVT no matter how hard I drive, that sounds like something is wrong for sure. Sounds like you need the TypeR or an AMG, not the Si your considering.

stranger599

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXL
I have both a Ktuner and the Flash Pro and never had any whining noises coming from the CVT. Even with the current tune that Vit is working on, never a peep from my CVT.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the cvt does whine a little after driving hard ymmv.

to the OP I felt the same way with the stage tunes from Ktuner, then I got custom tuned and the car responds much better consistently. however manual will always win me over and when the time comes I will be moving from the CVT and never purchasing one again. it's still soul sucking even with a tune.

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
however manual will always win me over and when the time comes I will be moving from the CVT and never purchasing one again. it's still soul sucking even with a tune.
Yeah, I really can't wait to have a good old manual back in my life haha

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

The issue you're describing is most likely tied to the EGR. A common occurrence with tunes & increased emissions. Cleaning the EGR valve/piping, or running a complete fuel system treatment, may help minimize those problems.

Unless it gets really bad, it will never throw a code. Just a few extra cranks when cold, and an inconsistent idle while warming up.

EDIT: I was informed there is no EGR on the 10th Gen.

In additional to intake valve deposits, this is something we'll be monitoring on the 10th Gen.

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your CVT doesn't whine after a spirited run through some twisty roads, you weren't really driving all that spiritedly. ;)
probably was whining they just drive with there windows up and AC on listening to music, I can here a whirr on a hot day.

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
sounds like you got the wrong car.......as for handling you really got the wrong car
I come from a modified NB Miata and I've been carving canyons for years. So yeah, my driving style is more aggressive than most and my standards are pretty high when it comes to driving dynamics.

I got this car out of necessity. Needed a practical reliable daily driver and happened to get a great deal on this one. Obviously I wasn't expecting it to handle like a sports car, but after taking it through the canyons a few times I found this to actually be a pretty decent chassis. It's just lacking the hardware to really be suitable for performance driving, which is exactly why I plan to upgrade to an Si.

Last edited:

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
probably was whining they just drive with there windows up and AC on listening to music, I can here a whirr on a hot day.
Who's "they"????? You have a mechanical problem if there is ANY noise from your transmission....if anyone thinks it's normal you shouldn't own a vehicle........

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT belts whine, no matter what. Its just harder to hear with all the noise these DI 1.5T put out. What fuel are you running, that can affect the tune and yeah, heat kills the power. On the base tunes, It raises knock control which in turn pulls ignition and lowers boost and makes less power. A custom tune can fix that though. Its been 105 here and my custom tune on Ktuner (I had Flash Pro too) the Kcontrol doesnt budge and Im still hitting 22 psi every day. Granted Im not out making canyon runs, but then again, I didnt buy a CVT to then go out race through the canyons either.

stranger599

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXL
Interesting for others, that I don't know irl, to comment on my driving but I guess it's easy to draw assumptions online. I recently took my civic on a long 10 hour drive through the appalachians as the tail to a motorcycle group that my family rides in. I had a fun time keeping up with them around sharp winding curves and nice inclines and such. No CVT noise at all. All my temps were running moderately high and the car powered through. And yes, I did open my windows here and there. I guess YMMV when it comes to the quirks that a vehicle may have.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting for others, that I don't know irl, to comment on my driving but I guess it's easy to draw assumptions online. I recently took my civic on a long 10 hour drive through the appalachians as the tail to a motorcycle group that my family rides in. I had a fun time keeping up with them around sharp winding curves and nice inclines and such. No CVT noise at all. All my temps were running moderately high and the car powered through. And yes, I did open my windows here and there. I guess YMMV when it comes to the quirks that a vehicle may have.
I commented but I did so because I find it interesting that you were complaining or calling it a negative that a transmission made to be fuel efficient wasnt up to par when running it hard through canyons. Were you expecting something different? That's be like me taking my tuned CVT to the track and complaining that it launches like crap. Anyhow, the CVT with a tune is much more fun to drive than the stock, mainly because of how my tuner set it up. I have the boost by gear and running a solid 22 psi and its amazing. I just wish I actually had canyons around to drive it in! Also, I bet that drive through the Appalachians was amazing with awesome views.
Sponsored