Honda will have to release an update by Fall for Apple CarPlay for Sure

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Honda will have to release an update by Fall for Apple CarPlay to work properly! Apple released the developer's version of all it's new software to be release this Fall today.

I will say, Honda will have to update their Infotainment to work properly. I think we will not see any updates until late Fall 2016. Maps has the largest updates with Music to follow.

Lets just say, the back end of Apple CarPlay is awesome, but Honda has to walk up to the plate with their developers for it to work.

This is way I cannot understand why Honda did not make this system user updatable.
Sponsored

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Agreed. They need to update the infotainment period, it's one of the not so great things on the new Honda's, still too buggy. With WiFi on these units they should have designed them with OTA (over the air) update capability!

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda will have to release an update by Fall for Apple CarPlay to work properly! Apple released the developer's version of all it's new software to be release this Fall today.

I will say, Honda will have to update their Infotainment to work properly. I think we will not see any updates until late Fall 2016. Maps has the largest updates with Music to follow.

Lets just say, the back end of Apple CarPlay is awesome, but Honda has to walk up to the plate with their developers for it to work.

This is way I cannot understand why Honda did not make this system user updatable.
There is no indication that the Infotainment system will need an update if Apple keeps the interface the same. Changes to Apple Carplay's apps do not necessitate changes to the host system because it was engineered in such a way that the apps run on the phone. The interface simply links from the Infotainment system to the phone. It is possible to update both the phone's operating system and the Carplay app and not have to update the car.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no indication that the Infotainment system will need an update if Apple keeps the interface the same. Changes to Apple Carplay's apps do not necessitate changes to the host system because it was engineered in such a way that the apps run on the phone. The interface simply links from the Infotainment system to the phone. It is possible to update both the phone's operating system and the Carplay app and not have to update the car.
I know that but the car will need it to, believe me...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This isn't a CarPlay issue. Or even an Android Auto issue. And most times it isn't a phone or app issue. The technology and interface is exactly the same once the phone is connected. And that experience is controlled by Apple or Google.

What is different is the underlying firmware that controls integrated HU functions such as bluetooth, EQ, volume, HVAC, and any other protocols outside of Android Auto/CarPlay. So the release of Apple software will do very little to change the current headaches that Honda owners experience today, IMHO.

What needs to change? Loaded question depending who you ask. If I had to guess, Honda needs to return to using their proprietary HU firmware vs. Android 4.2 (which is fairly new to them, from a configuration perspective). Or utilize a seasoned contractor to develop their HU firmware going forward.

BRussell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
The only thing I'm not sure will "just work" is the directions on the dashboard (rather than the audio screen). Everything else in iOS 10 looks like it will work without an update from Honda.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
These updates are local to the phone. The HU screen is a mirror or extension of the phone's interface. And no processing is done by the HU, except when replicating touch commands from the HU screen to the phone. Or facilitating the initial connection protocol.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont know if I should say this, I am sure it's out there. If you use CarPlay, wouldn't it be nice to use it with Bluetooth instead of USB.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I dont know if I should say this, I am sure it's out there. If you use CarPlay, wouldn't it be nice to use it with Bluetooth instead of USB.
Bluetooth is unlikely, because the data rate is too low for graphics. WiFi is a better candidate.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Already being piloted by Apple (check your CarPlay settings for the WiFi option). Google as well.

I use WiFi direct for AppRadio (Miracast) and it works well.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bluetooth is unlikely, because the data rate is too low for graphics. WiFi is a better candidate.
BT 5.0 is not...BMW will have BT 5.0 and will be the first to use BT for CarPlay

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I know that but the car will need it to, believe me...
Why do you say that? If the interface between the phone and the car stay the same (if Apple keeps the current interface), all that needs to be updated is the phone.

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP

For Carplay updates, Apple will send the update to your phone since it is their software that displays on your screen when you use carplay. I do think that Honda will have to update their own software for the head unit itself though, it seems to move slow more often than not and a lot of it has to do with the operating system they have built on top of android, as well as the processor they have in the head unit. We all get a little frustrated with the problems we've been experiencing and it's hard to know who's the culprit since our systems are a mash-up of android, hondas system on top of android, and the ability to use our iphones.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
BT 5.0 is not...BMW will have BT 5.0 and will be the first to use BT for CarPlay
Very interesting... I'm not aware of Apple testing a wireless protocol beyond WiFi - at least when it comes to the transfer of high bandwidth media. I'd be worried on the limitations of BT despite their claims of "4x the capacity," which really isn't all that better, IMHO.

A little off topic... but I'd love to see any write-ups on this if you have one available. :cool:
Sponsored