Honda Reveals 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan (205 HP / 192 LB-FT)

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
This turd should not be called an SI. Lame. Civic has gone back to be being the car of choice for high school girls. Shame.
They like Camaro's.
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
So far I'm really impressed with ZF's Adaptive Damper System CDC. Having owned a couple Nissan Zs, a Triumph GT-6, and an 80's Vette, I find the adaptive suspension wonderfully intelligent. The Si corners flatter than the Z51 Vette, and gets a higher skid pad number with narrower tires. (.93 g vs. .97 g with P255/50-16 vs P235/40-18 tires). I've found the edge of adhesion a couple of times, but haven't ventured past to see what happens. As you approach the edge, the ADS keeps the car balanced and solid. Tire noise is the only way I've found to judge the limits, as my butt tries to climb the side of the seat wall and the car stays flat and in control.

Of course the concern is how reliable and trouble free this excellent system is going to be.

Last edited:

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
So far I'm really impressed with ZF's Adaptive Damper System CDC. Having owned a couple Nissan Zs, a Triumph GT-6, and an 80's Vette, I find the adaptive suspension wonderfully intelligent. The Si corners flatter than the Z51 Vette, and gets a higher skid pad number with narrower tires. (.93 g vs. .98 g with P255/50-16 vs P235/40-18 tires). I've found the edge of adhesion a couple of times, but haven't ventured past to see what happens. As you approach the edge, the ADS keeps the car balanced and solid. Tire noise is the only way I've found to judge the limits, as my butt tries to climb the side of the seat wall and the car stays flat and in control.

Of course the concern is how reliable and trouble free this excellent system is going to be.
Agreed. Incredible suspension. I've had several lowered cars, as well as a 2000 Si, and the 2017 Si not only means less and sticks better, it rides better too. The roadholding limit is so high, I'm actually afraid to push over the limit. My 2000 Si could bite you with snap steer if you weren't paying very close attention at the limit. I'm curious what the 2017 would do too...

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad Honda didn't feel it needed to compete with the other manufacturers on HP figures. If this thing weighs less than a Fiesta ST, (its already lighter than the Focus ST), the power figures are more than enough to keep it fun, and just as fast as the ford hot hatch line up (minus the RS). Now just keep the pricing around 22,000~ and I think it wont do too bad, remember the Si was never a volume seller, this car only exists because the base civics are selling really well.

I wish they would release the gear ratios soon, and also i wish the torque and power curves didnt start dying down after 5500RPM...that feeling of tapering down power in the higher RPM totally kills the driving experience, especially in a car with an Si badge.

With all that said...if someone really wants this car but the HP figures are turning them away...I bet tuners will be able to get 250 out of this with just a tune and and a 3" down pipe lol
I have the gear radio spreadsheet. Pm me.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I would rather have an NA 2.0 tuned for 200hp.

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
At first I was rather disappointed in the hp numbers. But ive had my Si coupe for 3 months now, and I am rather impressed. I am about to start putting some more power in it though. Its kind of hard to get a car with 205hp, decent styling, and a 40+ mpg average (averages vary of course but I hit anywhere from 41 to 45mpg on days im cruising and 37 to 39 on days im driving swiftly) nowadays for under 25k. I honestly cant complain.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
At first I was rather disappointed in the hp numbers. But i've had my Si coupe for 3 months now, and I am rather impressed. I am about to start putting some more power in it though. Its kind of hard to get a car with 205hp, decent styling, and a 40+ mpg average (averages vary of course but I hit anywhere from 41 to 45mpg on days im cruising and 37 to 39 on days im driving swiftly) nowadays for under 25k. I honestly cant complain.
I've been driving Corolla SE rental car for the last few days and the MPG difference is drastic. I can barely scrape 40mpg on drives that would net me 50 plus in the Civic. In every situation, highway, city, rural commute this thing is down 20% easily in MPG's. Considering it's also down 50hp that is insane.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've been driving Corolla SE rental car for the last few days and the MPG difference is drastic. I can barely scrape 40mpg on drives that would net me 50 plus in the Civic. In every situation, highway, city, rural commute this thing is down 20% easily in MPG's. Considering it's also down 50hp that is insane.
So the Corolla gets way better gas mileage? Or the Civic? Heh I may be a tad confused

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The Civic, by a mile.
Ok thats what I thought XD
You know, that 2.0T in the accord would be sweet in the Si. But you might cringe a little when you see the mpg. The accord with the 2.0T gets 32mpg average on the highway. I could tune the Si and get an intercooler kit and have the same, if not more hp, AND keep my gas mileage. All while still paying way less than 32k. The 1.5 motor is stellar

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
This Si is my second 10th gen civic. I loved the ex-t that i had before, but the Si is on a whole different level. I haven't had this much fun since my GTI. Now I'm trying to decide between ktuner and hondata. If anyone has a preference or suggestion i would love to hear it :)

EduMtl

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 SI Sedan, Civic 2009 DXG Coupe
Peak horsepower of 205 horsepower (@ 5700 rpm (SAE net)) arrives 1300 rpm lower in the rev range, and the increased peak torque of 192 lb-ft (+18 lb-ft) (@ 2100-5000 rpm (SAE net)) is produced 2300 rpm earlier and sustained over 70 percent of the rev range.
I have a few questions.
Ok, the SI has a constant max torque from 21000 to 5000 rpm
What does this means in terms of the day to day handling?
For example, does it mean it is always safe to floor it up in this range?
What if I am in 1700 rpm or 1600, can I floor it up? Does it damage the car?
Max rpm is at 5700 rpm. When, or for what reason should I want to go there on purpose?
Thanks.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have a few questions.
Ok, the SI has a constant max torque from 21000 to 5000 rpm
What does this means in terms of the day to day handling?
For example, does it mean it is always safe to floor it up in this range?
What if I am in 1700 rpm or 1600, can I floor it up? Does it damage the car?
Max rpm is at 5700 rpm. When, or for what reason should I want to go there on purpose?
Thanks.
Note: the first answer is an opinion.

To answer the first question. Maximum torque comes in as low as 2100 rpms to help with driving comfort in daily driving and performance in spirited driving. The early torque helps fuel economy by giving you power you need without adding a substantial amount of fuel. This allows you to take any uphill ascent without the need of downshifting (if you drive a manual). The early torque also helps when entering a busy highway and need that extra oompf to get up to speed without getting rear-ended.

To answer the second question. It is a well known fact that revving up your car will not damage it as the cars motor is designed to deliver power in this range. Only when you enter the cars "redline" will the engine start to recieve damage (due to friction and heat). Redline is about 6500rpms for the 1.5 motor. Anywhere under 6000 is safe.

To answer the third question. Many people like to feel just what their car can do, so often the 5700 rpm mark will be exceeded. I personally go well beyond that about every other day just playing around. I have an Si and boy does it get a workout. You never have to rev high if you do not want to.

Anyone who would like to pitch in or state a fact, please do.

Last edited:

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
To answer the second question. It is a well known fact that revving up your car will not damage it as the cars motor is designed to deliver power in this range. Only when you enter the cars "redline" will the engine start to recieve damage (due to friction and heat). Redline is about 6500rpms for the 1.5 motor. Anywhere under 6000 is safe.
If Honda thought it was unsafe above 6000 rpms, the fuel cut/rev limiter would have been 6000 rpms. Assuming the engine is full warmed, it's safe to run the car to the rev limiter. Doesn't change the fact that it's probably not worth it since hp/torque have dropped off but...

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If Honda thought it was unsafe above 6000 rpms, the fuel cut/rev limiter would have been 6000 rpms. Assuming the engine is full warmed, it's safe to run the car to the rev limiter. Doesn't change the fact that it's probably not worth it since hp/torque have dropped off but...
Exactly, running a turbo car you dont really have to redline it to get the best acceleration. I'm just used to the Vtec roots, im trying to get out of shifting so late. And the fuel cut does start to work around 6500 for sure. When the red lights on the dash start flashing, its time to shift!

Also the 6000 number I gave was to give the guy asking the questions a little peace of mind, 5700/6000 rpms are safe for sure.
Sponsored