Honda Reveals 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan (205 HP / 192 LB-FT)

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Why are people acting disappointed when we knew this is what is was going to be. All everyone seems to care about is HP. The SI was never about HP. It has always been about driver engagement and chassis dynamics. Anyone can chuck a ton of HP into a car, but to make it work is another story. Acura offered the TSX with a V6 because people are stat sheet crazed and for the normal highway cruiser, yes the extra straight line power is nice, but as soon as you put the car into a corner, the car felt nose heavy and the I4 was much more enjoyable. It felt lighter on its feet and much more balanced. If you really need more power than look elsewhere
Because people were hoping to be surprised, and were not.
Sponsored

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Why are people acting disappointed when we knew this is what is was going to be. All everyone seems to care about is HP. The SI was never about HP. It has always been about driver engagement and chassis dynamics. Anyone can chuck a ton of HP into a car, but to make it work is another story. Acura offered the TSX with a V6 because people are stat sheet crazed and for the normal highway cruiser, yes the extra straight line power is nice, but as soon as you put the car into a corner, the car felt nose heavy and the I4 was much more enjoyable. It felt lighter on its feet and much more balanced. If you really need more power than look elsewhere
My opinion on this exactly. Driving an Si isn't about beating everyone else stoplight-to-stoplight, it's about the whole package and driving experience. As a fun, reliable daily for a driving enthusiast, the Si is perfect, and I think that's exactly what it's supposed to be. The Type R on the other hand...:D

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
A Fit Si should be competing with the Fiesta ST, not the Civic.
Yeah, if only that could be the case, but developing and making the factory tooling to make a low volume trim level of a car that already sells really well would just not make sense for Honda to do, business wise. A Fit Si or RS (I'd rather they keep the Si badge for civics) would be awesome for sure.
---
When the 8th gen Si was announced, everyone initially hated it. Same with the 9th gen. Eventually these cars still sold within Honda's expected figures for a low volume trim, I think the 10th gen Si will do just fine. I am sad to see the high RPM, frenetic sounding engine is no longer what the Si is about anymore though.

I am happy that the suspension system got a lot of love and even some of the stiffer bushings the Type-R has, coupled with the sub 2900lb curb weight, this will be a fun toss-able car.

Though I can really see how the die-hard fans are disappointed with the HP figures, luckily for me, I don't care about getting to the next red light before the car next to me lol.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So same engine? Just tuned...

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Here is the thing. Until isn't posted from a Honda official site I wont take the rumors numbers seriously. Many people out there do the same. This is why so many are acting now with the officially unveiled numbers.

Definitely people will look elsewhere.