Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let me first say that although my last two cars have been Korean made, my prior 3 vehicles were Honda products (a CRX, Integra and Civic). All three of the Honda/Acura cars I had were built in Japan and all basically just required only routine maintenance for the most part. For the record I bought all three of them in their first year of production. Having said that, I am very concerned at the amount of quality control issues with the new Civic. From wacky infotainment systems to body panels being misaligned. defects on the non-leather steering wheel, very loose looking leather on the seats and others. I think I even read of a guy who bought a new Civic and two interior doors had different colored trim on each door. And now I'm reading about a potential recall.

Has Honda quality gone downhill over the years? There does seems to be quite a few problems with these cars. Is this possibly the case of North American built vehicles not being up to Japanese quality?
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can only comment that Honda Canada has a sterling quality control record. I have a wonky nav. antenna that is being replaced. It occasionally takes 5-10 minutes to grab the satellites. Other than that everything is perfect. I've put on a couple of thousand miles of really fun driving in rain, sun and snow.

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
My Parent's CSX is a 2006 model and was built in Alliston plant, 10 years now (130000 KM) and it only needed a few repairs...nothing too major....like replacing 2 starters and such......

But I do agree...cars that was made in Japan seems to last longer.....my parent's previous car was a 1996 Accord and it had no problems until 190000 KM. Maybe is quality control or maybe is the fact that cars these days have more and more technology in them = more parts to fail....we will never actually know...

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's still just a Civic. Cheap parts that look good but aren't just quite right.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda quality control IMG_20160827_092717508

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
The only issue with my Coupe has been the 3rd brake light cover that I had to super glue. Other than that, been great.

Markdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic LXS, 2007 Civic EX
Can't speak for the new model but I own from new a 2007 Civic with 345,000KM and a 2010 Civic with 150,000KM. Both were built in Alliston. Coming from Fords I still can't believe Honda can make a relatively cheap economy car so reliable. Outside of maintenance items the only thing either has needed in the last couple years is A/C compressor on the 07 and A/C condenser on the 2010. I am currently still driving the 2007 daily it always starts, always runs, summer or winter. Now giving the 07 to my son, I'll switch to the 2010 and my lucky wife gets the new Touring.

How does one leave a brand after that experience. Honda's you can still drive for years reliably after they are paid for. Show me a economy Chrysler or GM product that you can do that with. I work with someone who had the worst experience with a Hyundai Santa Fe, motor, tranny issues ongoing for years so not too quick to try the South Korean's just yet. Hopefully the new one with a lot more electronic gizmos, turbo and CVT will serve us just as well.
Sponsored