Honda Plus Extended Warranty - when to purchase?

gborges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hello all,

I've asked this question to Honda Canada (both via email and their Facebook page) but they don't seem to care to reply.

I'm looking into buying a new Civic. I'm also interested in the extended warranty from Honda Canada. I'd rather not buy it at car-buying time.

Can I buy it later and, if so, how much later?

Thanks.
Sponsored

omigulay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport hatchback
From what they told me when I purchased my vehicle, you have to purchase honda plus while you're buying the car. They will add it to the financing payments. However, you have up to 30 days to cancel and you get full refund.

I agree with Honda Canada, I e-mailed them 2 weeks ago and not a reply yet...the person I spoke with on the phone wasn't too helpful either.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If Honda doesn't seem to care why give them the satisfaction?

Seriously why do you need it? I never buy it but did for my Murano because it's my first AWD and in all honesty Nissan doesn't have a good reputation on their CVT. Also, my dealer gave me discount on it.

OP
OP

gborges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Finally received a reply from Honda Canada (for anyone else interested in the future):

"... thank you for your interest in our products! It is recommended to purchase the Honda Plus Extended Warranty at point of sale; however you may purchase it below the 5 year and 100,000 kms mark."

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Not sure of the prices in Canada, but I strongly suggest you do not get it from your dealer (at least not at purchase time). Shop around, get quotes from different dealers, search the forum - it's been much-discussed. In the US it doesn't matter which dealer you get if from and there are big differences here. I wound up getting the 8 yr/120K/$0 deductible policy for $1005. My dealer's price: $2800 (!). Also check whether, if you wait longer (within the stipulated period), the rates go up.

Canadian discount dealers may be in a similar situation as here, where they can't advertise prices, but rather need you to inquire by email so they can send you quotes for the different policies. They depend on word-of-mouth and forum posts.

Last edited:

auditman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2016 Coupe
Country flag
Got my 7 year about $1k canadian. you have to low ball the finance guy.

Not sure of the prices in Canada, but I strongly suggest you do not get it from your dealer (at least not at purchase time). Shop around, get quotes from different dealers, search the forum - it's been much-discussed. In the US it doesn't matter which dealer you get if from and there are big differences here. I wound up getting the 8 yr/120K/$0 deductible policy for $1005. My dealer's price: $2800 (!). Also check whether, if you wait longer (within the stipulated period), the rates go up.

Canadian discount dealers may be in a similar situation as here, where they can't advertise prices, but rather need you to inquire by email so they can send you quotes for the different policies. They depend on word-of-mouth and forum posts.

auditman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2016 Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys just got my coupe about a month ago. last night just noticed I had a flat tire and pulled over to gasoline station for air refill before heading to shop.

Got to honda shop for flat tire repair. after 30 min I was told that a tire need to be replace coz it was damage when I drove it to gas station. Attendant says no worries as it's all covered by honda care plus. I was like wow! cool

mzebby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Si
Hi guys just got my coupe about a month ago. last night just noticed I had a flat tire and pulled over to gasoline station for air refill before heading to shop.

Got to honda shop for flat tire repair. after 30 min I was told that a tire need to be replace coz it was damage when I drove it to gas station. Attendant says no worries as it's all covered by honda care plus. I was like wow! cool
Was that fixed under warranty or Honda Care? A flat tire and bent rim would be fixed under the Honda Care package, IMO. Did you buy Honda Care when you purchased your car? What price did you pay for it?

auditman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2016 Coupe
Country flag
Was that fixed under warranty or Honda Care? A flat tire and bent rim would be fixed under the Honda Care package, IMO. Did you buy Honda Care when you purchased your car? What price did you pay for it?
I'm in canada. Got Honda Care Plus at the time of car purchase. Paid about $1k cnd. for 7 years coverage.

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
In the Honda plus brochure
It says its more expensive if you buy it after 60 days...
Is that true?
Im thinking of buying one because quite franckly the new civic is garbage
Ive had the car from 3 months and im at 1800km
The brochure says 988$ for 5years/100 000km
But the small prints say you have to buy it within 60 days...oherwise its more than 988$...

Im also wondering if labour is included in the extended warranty...

bigbadboss101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB LX CVT
I would think the tire coverage is under the rim/tire protection plan and not the Honda Plus? Also I hope labor is included otherwise not sure if it's worth it.

Currently am deciding on whether to get the plan.

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
I would think the tire coverage is under the rim/tire protection plan and not the Honda Plus? Also I hope labor is included otherwise not sure if it's worth it.

Currently am deciding on whether to get the plan.
Same here
I got a good price (i think) but im still debating whether or not i will get the plan
Not sure its worth it...

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I got it purely because so much of the car is now electronic.

It's no longer just a mechanical part replacement, there's proprietary instruments and parts that take far longer to replace. Pay for peace of mind I guess.

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got it purely because so much of the car is now electronic.

It's no longer just a mechanical part replacement, there's proprietary instruments and parts that take far longer to replace. Pay for peace of mind I guess.
Youre right but im afraid theres a lot of exclusions and conditions to the plan...
One condition is the ridiculous amount of maintenances you have to do just to keep your plan valid
You have to follow Hondas maintenance schedule and there is a lot of useless things in there that no one does...

You even have to use Honda genuine 0W20 engine oil lol

Plus if you decide to do your maintenance at an independent mechanic
chances are Honda will refuse to pay for the repairs

Then again I still havnt found a clear Honda maintenance schedule
The ones I found list all the things you have to do without telling you exactly when you have to do it

This is complete gibberish to me ...
Main item...sub-item....ok fine but when????

MAIN ITEM A
Factory Recommended Maintenance

• Replace engine oil*1
MAIN ITEM 0

• Replace engine oil*1 and oil filter
SUB-ITEM 1

• Rotate tires: Inspect for wear and adjust pressure.*5
SUB-ITEM 2

• Replace air cleaner element*2
  • Replace dust and pollen filter*3
  • Inspect and adjust drive belt.
SUB-ITEM 3

• Replace transmission fluid*4
SUB-ITEM 4

• Replace spark plugs.
  • Inspect valve clearance.
SUB-ITEM 5

• Replace engine coolant.
SUB-ITEM 7

• Replace brake fluid
SUB-ITEM 9

• Service front and rear brakes.
  • Check parking brake adjustments.
  • Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
  • Inspect suspension components.
  • Inspect driveshaft boots.
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA).
  • Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections.
Notes:

*1: Use only Honda genuine 0W20 engine oil. If the message “SERVICE” does not appear within 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year
*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 24,000km
*3: If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 24,000 km
*4: Automatic transmissions (CVT)
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 40,000 km.
*5: Tires may require more frequent rotation depending on driving conditions, alignment and driving habits

SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL REQUIRED MAINTENANCE
Recommended services whichever comes first km/month
Specific Additional Required Maintenance

Every 3 years
Replace brake fluid.
Every 24,000 km
Replace air cleaner element if vehicle is regularly driven in dusty conditions.
Every 24,000 km
Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is regularly driven in urban areas with high concentrations of emissions from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited: