Honda OEM Wheel Locks worth it?

sillyrabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
The dealer is offering to install OEM Honda Wheel Locks for $99 (Canadian) in my new Civic that i'm about to purchase.

I've read conflicting stories online about whether or not wheel locks are worth it. Some people say that they don't deter thieves at all, other say they are effective as a deterrent.

What do you think?
Sponsored

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something is better than nothing. With so many Civics out there, would a thief go for the one with the wheel locks, or the one without?

I hope that $99 isn't an actual installation fee, and you aren't paying extra for the actual locks themselves. Ask the dealership to throw them in for free. I have had wheel locks on every car I've owned with non-steel wheels, and have never paid for them.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
bought it online for half the price, worth it.
at dealer full price, not worth it.
or try getting it for free as suggested, the cost to them is low.
also agree, dont put ur key in an area where its most likely to be searched for by a thief.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
After taking delivery of my car, upon checking the glove box, I found a wheel lock key plus 4 bolts. Sure enough, I had wheel locks installed, didn't even pay or asked for them.

So I would say that indeed, you should try getting them for free.

jkbutserious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback, HR-V
The dealer is offering to install OEM Honda Wheel Locks for $99 (Canadian) in my new Civic that i'm about to purchase.

I've read conflicting stories online about whether or not wheel locks are worth it. Some people say that they don't deter thieves at all, other say they are effective as a deterrent.

What do you think?
$99 is kind of a ripoff. I bought the OEM wheel locks off Amazon for less than half that price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D1QVJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you provide the wheel locks and your dealer won't install them for free, then do it yourself (I know it's ideal to jack the car up, but it's really not necessary, as long as you don't move the car while one lug nut is off). I even got my dealer to install them so that the nut the replaced on each wheel was the same (the one directly under the "H" so that they're all nice and symmetrical). It seriously takes them like, 2 minutes to do it while they're doing all of the other post-sale inspection. If they have a problem with something like that, take a REAL close look at everything else they're charging you for, because chances are they're nickel-and-diming you.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it's worth the OEM wheel locks are not compatible with 15mm spacers if you think you may ever install a set.

Fastmodz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmodz.com
Vehicle(s)
1986 CRX

What do you think?
Thanks for the post.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
If it's free take them. If not, then buy yourself better wheel locks. I am not sure if they have changed them recently, but they have a pattern on the master key and i heard over time the pattern within the key breaks. SO you will have to purchase another master key. So would not recommended them.

I would buy a lug nut pattern key lock with a master key.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Same goes for Toyota's.

Fastmodz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmodz.com
Vehicle(s)
1986 CRX

What do you think?
Certain wheel locks will deter any thieves. It may be as simple as having an odd size, or having a certain master lock. it is always better to have the added security to protect your investment. We carry a full line of Mcgard wheel locks. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://fastmodz.com/products?bid=14599
Sponsored