Honda is taking notes on the Type R sales

spydogoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-03415
Country flag
Hello All,

I just got off the phone with Honda America corporate @ 800-999-1009. I had a good conversation with the gentleman and aired my grievance about their dealer network charging so much markup for the Type R. He said they have noticed and Honda is keeping notes on the situation. He said they have been getting several calls but not a ton from people like me telling them about the crazy markups some dealers are asking and in some cases getting. Basically (unfortunately) Honda can't control the prices that their dealers ask.

I would say if you feel so inclined, call in and talk to them direct. If they get enough feedback perhaps they can change the situation somehow... I'm dreaming I know. Anyway I am waiting to get my Type R, the search continues!
Sponsored

TypeR_chi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring / Honda HR-V
Hello All,

I just got off the phone with Honda America corporate @ 800-999-1009. I had a good conversation with the gentleman and aired my grievance about their dealer network charging so much markup for the Type R. He said they have noticed and Honda is keeping notes on the situation. He said they have been getting several calls but not a ton from people like me telling them about the crazy markups some dealers are asking and in some cases getting. Basically (unfortunately) Honda can't control the prices that their dealers ask.

I would say if you feel so inclined, call in and talk to them direct. If they get enough feedback perhaps they can change the situation somehow... I'm dreaming I know. Anyway I am waiting to get my Type R, the search continues!
Will be giving them a call it's ridiculous here in the Midwest 10k 15k geez

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Ford and Chrysler both offer incentives to dealers that get their Halo cars in the hands of buyers quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda follows suit, should demand for the CTR continue to be strong over time.

Case in point, Dodge Challenger Demon:
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2017/06/challenger_srt.html

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
If Honda makes more, then there won't be ADM. Honda has total control of the situation by controlling the supply. Simple economics.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Aside from being a niche platform, Honda's intent is to keep the CTR somewhat limited in order to keep interest high while avoiding excessive ADM. The flipside is that there's a operational limit to what they can produce and/or how quickly they can tweak production, as Swindon is the sole resource for all Civic hatchbacks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the lowest margin car in Honda's lineup, as is the case with many Halo platforms (Dealer markup is a whole other discussion...).

Supply will continue to be limited through the end of the year as international markets are waiting for their first allocation. Once Phase 1 wraps up, North America will get another shipment (or so I'm told).

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Aside from being a niche platform, Honda's intent is to keep the CTR somewhat limited in order to keep interest high while avoiding excessive ADM. The flipside is that there's a operational limit to what they can produce and/or how quickly they can tweak production, as Swindon is the sole resource for all Civic hatchbacks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the lowest margin car in Honda's lineup, as is the case with many Halo platforms (Dealer markup is a whole other discussion...).

Supply will continue to be limited through the end of the year as international markets are waiting for their first allocation. Once Phase 1 wraps up, North America will get another shipment (or so I'm told).
I really doubt it's a low margin car, they are selling a Sport Touring for like $25k USD in Canada? The actual cost on the upgraded components is not going to be $10k, yeah the R&D cost was higher, but that gets averaged across all units, so if they sold more units it would reduce the R&D cost per unit.

The differences are what, suspension, brakes, upgraded engine (that they are using standard in the Accord), wing and tacky interior. The body panels likely don't cost much more than the stock ones, the wing is probably pretty cheap as it's injection molded plastic? I'd guess the majority of the higher cost is the interior/brakes/suspension.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, if they actually came out and said that, instead of quickly dismissing every person who told them. I tweeted them, and the absolute only thing they said is "American Honda Motor CO, Inc. does not regulate the prices set by dealerships" that is it. Nothing like, we are monitoring it, or thank you for the concern, nothing to show that they care for the consumer. That is why I think that nothing will be done. I even gave them the link to the "Naughty thread".

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Well, if they actually came out and said that, instead of quickly dismissing every person who told them. I tweeted them, and the absolute only thing they said is "American Honda Motor CO, Inc. does not regulate the prices set by dealerships" that is it. Nothing like, we are monitoring it, or thank you for the concern, nothing to show that they care for the consumer. That is why I think that nothing will be done. I even gave them the link to the "Naughty thread".
A simple "Any dealer caught charging ADM will not receive another Type R." would solve a lot of problems.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LOL, or overpriced accessories, to get around the ADM restriction.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
A simple "Any dealer caught charging ADM will not receive another Type R." would solve a lot of problems.
I think they are still getting allocation based on Civics sold. I see markup dealer still have a car coming in under the inventory search "in Transit".

Vdeity86

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z Anniversary Edition(sold), Accord, #1220 CTR
Country flag
I think they are still getting allocation based on Civics sold. I see markup dealer still have a car coming in under the inventory search "in Transit".
Do you have access to the system? Can you get list for SC/NC In transit and not on order screen?

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
Do you have access to the system? Can you get list for SC/NC In transit and not on order screen?
No, just go on http://automobiles.honda.com/ and at the very bottom on the shipping tool column click search inventory.

1. enter zip
2. select your dealers
3. select view inventory
4. select the car model click find.
5. It no car in transit it will say "Your dealer can help you find the vehicle you searched for"

Basically looking at their iN system without dates and etc? My car is 3 weeks out so if it say in transit I'm guessing 3 weeks out.
Sponsored