Honda engineers admit that the CVT could handle the Si's power & torque

mb411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, Sonic Pearl, CVT, 20% Tint all around, Aftermarket HID 6k kit
Country flag
This article, whether or not is 100% accurate has me REALLY thinking more about the Hondata tune. If they are saying the CVT would be okay in the longterm then this has my wallet itching. I know there are posts probably already out there on this, but none I have seem when a Honda engineer saying it could have done excites me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/george...r-enthusiast-small-car-buyers/2/#7dfb5e1c32a1
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Does the Hondata tune for this model tune the transmission code? Because historically they don't touch automatics, at all. I think AEM and Haltech are the only ones doing anything with auto in the import space.

The transmission may be mechanically up for it, but that's only 50% of the equation.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Of course the CVT could handle the Si's power. It's not that much more than the Sport/Sport Touring hatch's power and Hondata has already proven that the top of the CVT power is around 240 ft/lb.

OP
OP
mb411

mb411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, Sonic Pearl, CVT, 20% Tint all around, Aftermarket HID 6k kit
Country flag
Does the Hondata tune for this model tune the transmission code? Because historically they don't touch automatics, at all.

The transmission may be mechanically up for it, but that's only 50% of the equation.

They do. its on the website. I wouldn't do the 6psi boost, but rather the 3psi boost.

OP
OP
mb411

mb411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course the CVT could handle the Si's power. It's not that much more than the Sport/Sport Touring hatch's power and Hondata has already proven that the top of the CVT power is around 240 ft/lb.
I see what you are saying, but a lot of us were worried about the long-term effects of the CVT failing.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was just pointing out that them saying that is not some big revelation as the CVT has already been proven to be able to handle the minimal power bump that the Si has over the next lowest model.

Alejoviejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cadillac CTS, 2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
People were up and arms about the SI only have 200hp, they would be a fit thrown by all the "enthusiast" if they even put a CVT next to it on the assembly line

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Shoot me - I'd take the Hatch 1.5T + Hondata+6 + CVT over this new Si anyday. For a DD, the livability of the smooth CVT + low noise engine + Honda Sensing aids together with decent zoot with the Hondata +6 psi is hard to beat.

Type-R is the only real choice if you want a proper sporty Honda with 6MT. Both the BRZ/86 and MX-5 will be better choices for driving enthusiasts closer to the Si price range for 2nd cars/weekend toys.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
the CTR should have two trans options; 6 MT or ...........DCT!!!!!!!!!! think how awesome the car would be with a good DCT. instead of the commuter CVT.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type-R is the only real choice if you want a proper sporty Honda with 6MT. Both the BRZ/86 and MX-5 will be better choices for driving enthusiasts closer to the Si price range for 2nd cars/weekend toys.
Strong disagree here.

Both the BRZ and the Miata are unbearable for anyone over 6 feet. I'm a touch over 6 even with a long waistand can't put the top up in the MX-5. I'd never be comfortable shifting in a BRZ either. (I do fit in a Fiat Spyder, however).

The BRZ is uncomfortable, noisy and doesn't have the Miata's redeeming rag-top.

If you want to drive it in any sort of performance situation, I can demonstrably show that the stock Civic performs on par with the stock Miata in AutoCross, the Si's improved suspension and LSD will certainly put it right up there with modded Miata's right out of the gate.

If you are lucky enough to live near a beach or other pleasant driving area, then sure the Miata/BRZ is fine for a day-trip. But if you want to get away for the weekend with your SO, forget about bringing anything more than a toothbrush, which could be just fine...:p

However, want to head out to drive the Dragon, run an AutoCross nationals, or just take your fun car on an extended road-trip, then the Si wins on practically.
Sponsored