Honda Civic Type R purchasing process

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
Just checked with 3 different dealers that I have friends at. None of them said they have heard a single thing about any kind of allocation. I had them triple check with everyone as well. Must be only specific dealers or something...

None around me are taking names or deposits either. They said it is too far out to do so.
The pre-allocations are handed down to the dealer by their zone's Honda Rep. They will tell him/her what color they want the first one to be... Its not in their iN Honda System like a traditional allocation.

Just a heads up...

BA...
Sponsored

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
The pre-allocations are handed down to the dealer by their zone's Honda Rep. They will tell him/her what color they want the first one to be... Its not in their iN Honda System like a traditional allocation.

Just a heads up...

BA...
So it sounds like the decision on the color is really up to the GM's (or dealer as a whole) discussions with the region's rep then? Unfortunately, don't know the GMs around here all that well currently so I guess I am out of luck it seems.

Reactions: ZdH

ZdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ACURA TSX Superchrged, 2010 Honda Accord, 1999 Honda Accord
Country flag
Hey Guys,
Like most of us before posting on here and signing up I have been reading the threads on the Type R and researching it since Honda first told us it was coming to the U.S which I believe was 2014. It's been a long time coming can we agree?

My expierence with the process started in Oct of 2016, I called 4 dealerships to put feelers out and no one knew anything. I gave them my contact info never heard anything.
Flash forward to November, I heard some people in the Phoenix area had been told by Bell Honda that they were getting a championship white in April and they had secured it.
That was one of the dealers I had called and gone into personally and bought a vehicle from 1 year prior.... where was my call? Frustrating so I'm down to 3 dealers.

Checked back in with Dealers Mid-December, asked them all how to I go about getting First right of refusal. How much do you need "refundable of course" no one had answer. Told them to please call this vehicle will be limited obliviously, I want an opportunity.

I saw a guy on YouTube, lives in Phoenix and said he secured one by talking to Marcelino. (Wtf who's Marcelino) why haven't I talked to this guy. Messaged him on YouTube never responded to multiple messages so I looked up Marcelino, there isn't very many in Phoenix that work for Honda (Avondale Honda)so he was easy to find. Gave him a call he said he'd get back to me.

One thing I made clear with all of my conversations with dealers is what "mark up will you be charging or attempting to charge"
I've had sales people straight up laugh at me when I said I won't pay more than MSRP I've had people agree and say they won't at all. Then the next person two weeks later says they are. Point being if you talk to a dealer and they tell you something write it down and the person you talked to. DO NOT LET THEM FORGET what they told you.

Anyways flash forward to two weeks ago I got tired of sales people giving me run around or sales managers doing the same and then a couple days later hearing from someone that they got new info that I had been searching for. I made friends with the Fleet Manager and one of them great guy his name is Craig(Right Honda, Scottsdale) . He said he hadn't heard anything and that he would talk to his Zone Director.

Now last week I'm out at the track and get a call... 2 of them one from Marcelino, same guy that told someone a champisohip white would be here in April but told me he didn't know and then laughed when I asked for MSRP. He says hey man! Honda just sent out an email to all dealers saying" First allocation will be to lots by April 4th you will have option of what color you want only if you have a deposit down at the dealer." He says he's talked to all the dealers in AZ they ALL agreed to a 5k markup but he will get my choice and order in only for a 2500$ mark up. And 1k deposit. I laughed and said I'm sorry I was told I could get MSRP from another dealer in your area, I will wait for a call from one of the others. He sounded annoyed.....

1 hour later I get a another call from the Dealer I have been in contact with(Surprise, Honda), super nice people said the same thing only there is no MSRP markup with them and 500$ deposit would be needed to put a order in and pick my color. I told them about Marcelino he laughed and said sorry we haven't talked to any other dealers yet. Told him let me get back to him.

Called Craig(Fleet manager) told him what I've been told from Marcelino @Avondale Honda and (Surprise,Honda). He confirmed told me he talked to his Zone he said each region will get colors and from there the dealers that have downpayments with color preference get first choice the rest get divided by dealers at least 1 allocation(not including pre orders).
I said awesome how do I go about getting this deal started, scheduled an appointment with him next Wednesday I'm going to put 1k down for first right of refusal at MSRP. It is refundable.

Ladies and Gents, these sales people don't care about the car just the sale, you need to find someone that cares about getting you what you want and a good price.

Follow Up! Follow up!

Write names down, write dates down, go in person and talk to them.

We're at about 80days before they start rolling on trucks info is out there you just gotta be persistent.

What's that price? One does not know however I have been told Type R will unveiled at Geneva auto show in March like most of you know. I expect it to be not as expensive as we think.
This is a Global platform that all countries will get the same thing, not like it has been in the past. Therefore this is being built by the numbers which allows Honda to keep the cost down a little bit more than say, the current Type R which only produced 10,000 world wide.
With Honda introducing this to the US and other markets I expect 20,000 to be made which can help reduce the cost.
Anyone else agree?

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
I agree that there are still way too many Salespeople out there giving us, that actually care about the Customer and the Information put out there, a BAD name. I hate it.

I have been doing this since 2002 and my goal has always been to be as transparent as I can possibly be with my Customers. This is why I have chosen not to work for sleazy dealerships all this time.

It helps that I'm an enthusiast as well so I keep up with info like this on a daily basis because it interests me and helps any of my Customers that want it as well.

There are reports of the Civic Type R not really coming out in April but later on. I hope that it's not true but I guess is possible.

We have already received and reserved the 1st pre-allocation on the Civic Type R and its a Championship White one. Unfortunately, we have not received any further info at all.

Honda likes to keep dealers in the dark until the last minute.

Regards,

BA...

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Called a few Honda dealers in my area and this is what I found out...

- Regional rep. says that each high volume Honda dealer will receive one CTR.
- Some may not receive any and will just depend on their sales volume. This seems reasonable as there are a lot of Honda dealers in the country.
- Looking at spring or summer release. I'm guessing this is what the rep told the dealer. Doubt the dealer has any other evidence.
- Dealers can send in their color preference to the regional rep, and he/she will allocate them to each dealer. It's not guaranteed the dealer will get the color they want.
- I placed a $500 refundable deposit at two dealers in my area. I was #1 at one dealer and 2 or 3 at the second one. The people ahead of me were Honda dealer employees. Both dealers will sell at sticker price.
- There were two dealers that said their sales manager won't take deposits until the car is physically at the dealership. Basically, this means they'll pick and choose who they want to sell the vehicle to (aka GM's son).

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
^lol kind of reminds me of when the corvette stingray came out, there's wasn't enough allocations, the dealer that sold the most corvettes had the first allocations....

Looks like it's going to be a long wait for most of us if they get a certain small number of allocations.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey Guys,
Like most of us before posting on here and signing up I have been reading the threads on the Type R and researching it since Honda first told us it was coming to the U.S which I believe was 2014. It's been a long time coming can we agree?

My expierence with the process started in Oct of 2016, I called 4 dealerships to put feelers out and no one knew anything. I gave them my contact info never heard anything.
Flash forward to November, I heard some people in the Phoenix area had been told by Bell Honda that they were getting a championship white in April and they had secured it.
That was one of the dealers I had called and gone into personally and bought a vehicle from 1 year prior.... where was my call? Frustrating so I'm down to 3 dealers.

Checked back in with Dealers Mid-December, asked them all how to I go about getting First right of refusal. How much do you need "refundable of course" no one had answer. Told them to please call this vehicle will be limited obliviously, I want an opportunity.

I saw a guy on YouTube, lives in Phoenix and said he secured one by talking to Marcelino. (Wtf who's Marcelino) why haven't I talked to this guy. Messaged him on YouTube never responded to multiple messages so I looked up Marcelino, there isn't very many in Phoenix that work for Honda (Avondale Honda)so he was easy to find. Gave him a call he said he'd get back to me.

One thing I made clear with all of my conversations with dealers is what "mark up will you be charging or attempting to charge"
I've had sales people straight up laugh at me when I said I won't pay more than MSRP I've had people agree and say they won't at all. Then the next person two weeks later says they are. Point being if you talk to a dealer and they tell you something write it down and the person you talked to. DO NOT LET THEM FORGET what they told you.

Anyways flash forward to two weeks ago I got tired of sales people giving me run around or sales managers doing the same and then a couple days later hearing from someone that they got new info that I had been searching for. I made friends with the Fleet Manager and one of them great guy his name is Craig(Right Honda, Scottsdale) . He said he hadn't heard anything and that he would talk to his Zone Director.

Now last week I'm out at the track and get a call... 2 of them one from Marcelino, same guy that told someone a champisohip white would be here in April but told me he didn't know and then laughed when I asked for MSRP. He says hey man! Honda just sent out an email to all dealers saying" First allocation will be to lots by April 4th you will have option of what color you want only if you have a deposit down at the dealer." He says he's talked to all the dealers in AZ they ALL agreed to a 5k markup but he will get my choice and order in only for a 2500$ mark up. And 1k deposit. I laughed and said I'm sorry I was told I could get MSRP from another dealer in your area, I will wait for a call from one of the others. He sounded annoyed.....

1 hour later I get a another call from the Dealer I have been in contact with(Surprise, Honda), super nice people said the same thing only there is no MSRP markup with them and 500$ deposit would be needed to put a order in and pick my color. I told them about Marcelino he laughed and said sorry we haven't talked to any other dealers yet. Told him let me get back to him.

Called Craig(Fleet manager) told him what I've been told from Marcelino @Avondale Honda and (Surprise,Honda). He confirmed told me he talked to his Zone he said each region will get colors and from there the dealers that have downpayments with color preference get first choice the rest get divided by dealers at least 1 allocation(not including pre orders).
I said awesome how do I go about getting this deal started, scheduled an appointment with him next Wednesday I'm going to put 1k down for first right of refusal at MSRP. It is refundable.

Ladies and Gents, these sales people don't care about the car just the sale, you need to find someone that cares about getting you what you want and a good price.

Follow Up! Follow up!

Write names down, write dates down, go in person and talk to them.

We're at about 80days before they start rolling on trucks info is out there you just gotta be persistent.

What's that price? One does not know however I have been told Type R will unveiled at Geneva auto show in March like most of you know. I expect it to be not as expensive as we think.
This is a Global platform that all countries will get the same thing, not like it has been in the past. Therefore this is being built by the numbers which allows Honda to keep the cost down a little bit more than say, the current Type R which only produced 10,000 world wide.
With Honda introducing this to the US and other markets I expect 20,000 to be made which can help reduce the cost.
Anyone else agree?
When the current CTR (MY2015) completes with the 100 Black Edition there will be a total of 2,500 built over 2 1/2 years. It's unlikely that the Brits will or can set up to build more than 5,000 per year - worldwide.

Last edited:

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
When the current CTR (MY2015) completes with the 100 Black Edition there will be a total of 2,500 built over 2 1/2 years. It's unlikely that the Brits will or can set up to build more than 5,000 per year - worldwide.
Being that there are approx 1000 US dealers, and not all are getting 1 pre allocation car for the first year, your figure of 5000 a year total globally isn't unrealistic.

ZdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ACURA TSX Superchrged, 2010 Honda Accord, 1999 Honda Accord
Country flag
That would make sense since Honda factory Swindon produced all of them equally 10,000 total in its 2 year life span.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda Swindon news articles indicates it may build/ship up to 30,000 Hatchbacks to North America per year - maximum. It's not likely 10% will be CTRs.

revin9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
Honda Swindon news articles indicates it may build/ship up to 30,000 Hatchbacks to North America per year - maximum. It's not likely 10% will be CTRs.

Here's an email I just received from my dealership.

"As far as my new car manager knows, we will just be given our allotment and what ever color we get we get.
We were also told that there will only be 2500 Type R's made this year"

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Here's an email I just received from my dealership.

"As far as my new car manager knows, we will just be given our allotment and what ever color we get we get.
We were also told that there will only be 2500 Type R's made this year"
Basically the same thing I've heard from my dealer. Still don't have any concrete dates or specs as of yet.
Sponsored