Honda Civic Type R purchasing process

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Title pretty much sums it up.

I'm wondering how the entire process works if anyone knows i.e. How the dealers actually get them, I was told that the dealers can't just order them and they are given random units (colors trim etc) from Honda corporate.

Any other information would be appreciated.

The dealer I have one reserved with at MSRP said that they will be getting 2. (I will get number 1)

I was just wondering how they know this?

Another sales manager told me she knows nothing about the Type R but that the Honda Civic turbo is a blast to drive...

Thanks
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I believe they're going to make a certain number of Type Rs, probably a certain number for each color too and ship them all around the world. I think it depends on how many Civics each dealer sold to be awarded a Civic Type R, sad I know... :(

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
The US R gets unveiled next week at SEMA, probably late Monday or early Tuesday when the show opens. After that, I would think that the US dealers will have a little more info on allocation and ordering as the US will be the first to receive the R. Maybe give it a few weeks and approach the dealership?

FWIW, several people on here have claimed to have put deposits on R vehicles. I'm not discrediting them, but it seems odd that some dealers have -0- clue about the caR while other dealers are accepting deposits on them already.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
You're right about it being odd that dealers are already accepting deposits, the ones I've contacted have no clue if they're getting one and/or when it's going to go on sale.

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe
They don't need to really know when it's coming out to take your money :) If you really want one of the first ones though, I would try to sign off on a sale contract as soon as you can. A sold car will usually get preference to a normal allocation request.

whippet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Golf R '15 Forester
Country flag
They don't need to really know when it's coming out to take your money :) If you really want one of the first ones though, I would try to sign off on a sale contract as soon as you can. A sold car will usually get preference to a normal allocation request.
this exactly. I'm willing to bet even now it's early to determine what the order process / model allocation will be, however, the dealer I left deposit with is honoring my money down as an "intent to buy" and will give me first right of refusal.

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I know it's a first come first serve thing but its messed up if they take in 20-30 deposits knowing they're only going to receive 1-2 Type Rs

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I know it's a first come first serve thing but its messed up if they take in 20-30 deposits knowing they're only going to receive 1-2 Type Rs
Car dealerships aren't exactly known for their ethics so it wouldn't surprise me if more than one did this...

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's messed up at all. It will usually work by a process of "right of first refusal" like whippet posted. When they get their allocation they may call the first 10 people and they all decline in which case the 11th person can swoop in on it.

If they took 3 deposits on 3 allocations and all 3 customers flake, they may risk losing their allocation if they don't have someone lined up.

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Interesting, the dealer I put a deposit is a very highly rated metro Detroit Honda Dealer.

It seemed pretty legit and they told me spring, probably late April or May in that general timeframe.

The guy also said that they would be getting 2 but had no specifics on color or options, I was the first to inquire here so they honored my deposit and said MSRP which I was quite happy about. I mean I would be pissed if it came in and they were like this is the 5000 dollar acquisition fee sorry. I would just walk.

But from what I've seen and heard from them seems pretty legit, I'm not trying to get a Ford GT...

Anyway I guess I will see come springtime.

Just weird he mentioned 2 cars.

Well hopefully after US release of stats and timeline will clear it up.

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, the dealer I put a deposit is a very highly rated metro Detroit Honda Dealer.

It seemed pretty legit and they told me spring, probably late April or May in that general timeframe.

The guy also said that they would be getting 2 but had no specifics on color or options, I was the first to inquire here so they honored my deposit and said MSRP which I was quite happy about. I mean I would be pissed if it came in and they were like this is the 5000 dollar acquisition fee sorry. I would just walk.
As far as them getting 2 and coming in late April or May, they are just guessing. As soon as you see the available trims and colors, you might be able to have them get you exactly what you want if you are fast enough in letting them know.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
You're right about it being odd that dealers are already accepting deposits, the ones I've contacted have no clue if they're getting one and/or when it's going to go on sale.
Dealers are taking a complete shot in the dark with this. They don't know what they are getting, when they are getting it, or how much it will cost.

It blows my mind that someone would put a deposit on something that they know little about. It blows my mind even more that dealers find it okay to take money on a car that they know nothing about. After all, the car is technically still in a prototype phase. It isn't even a consumer product YET.

I would wait until l I know what it is I am buying before putting a deposit on the car. I don't think it is crazy to let the dealer know you are ready to buy one and will put a deposit on the car when you know what it is you are buying. To each their own though.

whippet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Golf R '15 Forester
Country flag
Dealers are taking a complete shot in the dark with this. They don't know what they are getting, when they are getting it, or how much it will cost.

It blows my mind that someone would put a deposit on something that they know little about. It blows my mind even more that dealers find it okay to take money on a car that they know nothing about. After all, the car is technically still in a prototype phase. It isn't even a consumer product YET.

I would wait until l I know what it is I am buying before putting a deposit on the car. I don't think it is crazy to let the dealer know you are ready to buy one and will put a deposit on the car when you know what it is you are buying. To each their own though.
I don't disagree, but given this approach, you will lose the opportunity to buy the vehicle, unless 1. You're extremely lucky or 2. Live in a city without internet. Once specs, price, etc etc are released there will already have been 100 people inquiring prior to you at your dealer of choice. Look at RS (and this is more anticipated I would argue)

Refundable intent to purchase deposit is harmless and it gives you a clear advantage over the rest of the pack.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I appreciate your rationale and justification for what you wish to do. I tend to look at it from a business standpoint between 2 parties and buying an opportunity just seems ludicrous to me.

The OP mentions:
The dealer I have one reserved with at MSRP said that they will be getting 2. (I will get number 1)

But them asks:
I'm wondering how the entire process works if anyone knows i.e. How the dealers actually get them, I was told that the dealers can't just order them and they are given random units (colors trim etc) from Honda corporate. Any other information would be appreciated.

OP gave a deposit, but has no clue on what he is buying (exactly), when, or for what amount of money (what will MSRP be?).

As I mentioned, to each their own.

Gili Greg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
The Type R concept from Paris is making its North American debut at SEMA. I doubt we will learn anything new there. (I will be there) Expect production car debut and pricing at Detroit or Chicago auto show next year.
Sponsored