Honda 2017 Type R Quick Reference Guide

type-RUsrs?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
So after my second experience by a Honda Dealership asking me to come in to purchase a Type-R only to find out it has been "sold" but they can offer a deal on a Civic Si; salesperson inadvertently offered me some documentation as a consolation gesture; the Honda Sales Training guide for the 2017 Honda Type R Quick Reference Guide was inadvertently included.

Aside from the normal specification mumbo-jumbo it did include 3 comparison charts on what Honda felt are its direct competitors.

Nothing confidential here; you could tabulate all this information yourself with the spec sheets from each model but this is how Honda views as selling points for the Type R. Though there is a disclaimer on the back that says:

For dealership use only.
Please do not distribute to customers.

So here it is:

2017 Civic Type R Touring vs. 2017 Ford Focus RS

• The Civic Type R offers three damper settings via the three-mode drive system: the default Sport mode, the track-oriented +R mode and the passenger-friendly Comfort mode; Focus RS only has two damper modes to choose from.
  • The Type R receives much better EPA fuel-economy ratings in every category (22 city/28 highway/25 combined vs 19/25/22).
  • Type R's rev-match system makes for exceptionally smooth downshifts without the need to master heel-toe techniques; Focus Rs has nothing like it.
  • The Type R comes with awesome 20-inch alloy wheels; Focus RS makes smaller 19-inch alloys standard.
  • Type R's tires are beefier than the Focus RS's (245/30 R20 vs 235/35 R19).
  • Type R offers greater comfort with an extra inch of front-row headroom (39.3 in vs 38.3), over 2.5 inches more rear-seat legroom (35.9 in vs 33.2) and more shoulder room in both rows.
  • The Honda provides huge advantage in passenger volume (97.0 cu ft vs 90).
  • Hauling cargo is another Type R topper, with big edge for rear-seat-up volume (25.7 cu ft vs 19.9 cu ft) and an advantage in maximum space (46.2 cu ft vs 43.8)
  • The Type R Touring illuminates the night with LED headlights, a feature the Focus RS doesn't provide.
  • Audio enjoyment will be greater in the Type R Touring, thanks to its advantage in both speakers (12 vs. 10) and power (540 watts vs. 390)

2017 Civic Type R Touring vs 2017 Volkswagen Golf R
  • The Civic Type R's MSRP comes in significantly lower than the Golf R's
  • The Civic Type R has more horsepower (306 vs. 292) and torque (295 lb-ft vs. 280).
  • Civic Type R's rev-match system makes for exceptionally smooth downshifts without the need to master heel-toe techniques; Golf R has nothing like it.
  • The Civic Type R comes with awesome 20-inch alloy wheels; Golf R makes smaller 19-inch alloys standard.
  • Civic Type R's tires are beefier than the Gold R's (245/30 R20 vs 235/35 R19).
  • The Smart Entry system is standard on the Civic Type R; a similar system is unavailable on the Golf R.
  • Civic Type R offers greater comfort with almost an extra inch of fron-row headroom (39.3 vs. 38.4), and over an inch more front-seat legroom (42.3 in vs. 41.2).
  • The Honda also provides an advantage in passenger volume (97.0 cu ft vs. 93.5).
  • Civic Type R has the edge for rear-seat-up cargo volume (25.7 cu ft vs. 22.8 cu ft).
  • The Type R Touring illuminates the night with LED headlights, a feature the Gold R doesn't provide.
  • Audio enjoyment will be greater in the Type R Touring, thanks to its advantage in both speakers (12 vs. 8) and power (540 watts vs. 400).

2017 Civic Type R Touring vs. 2017 Subaru WRX STI
  • The Civic Type R has slightly more horsepower (306 vs. 305) and torque (295 lb-ft vs. 290).
  • The Type R receives considerably better EPA fuel-economy ratings in every category (22 city/28 highway/25 combined vs. 17/23/19).
  • The adjustable drive-mode system on Type R affects its suspension, steering and throttle mapping; the system on the WRX STI is much less sophisticated, tweaking just the engine control unit and throttle mapping.
  • Civic Type R's rev-match system makes for exceptionally smooth downshifts without the need to mater heel-toe techniques, WRX STI has nothing like it.
  • The Civic Type R comes with awesome 20-inch alloy wheels; the Subaru makes much smaller 18-inch allows standard.
  • The Smart Entry system is standard on the Type R; a similar Subaru system is optional on the WRX STI, and standard only on the more expensive WRX STI Limited.
  • Civic Type R offers greater comfort with more rear-seat headroom (37.4 in vs. 37.1), more rear-seat legroom (35.9 in vs. 35.4) and more shoulder room in both rows (56.9/55.0 in vs. 55.6/54.2).
  • The Honda also provides a slight advantage in passenger volume (97.0 cu ft vs 96.6).
  • Civic Type R has a huge advantage in rear-seat-up cargo volume (25.7 cu ft vs. 12.0 cu ft); maximum cargo volume isn't even fair, as the WRX STI is a sedan.
  • Audio enjoyment will be greater in the Type R Touring, thanks to its advantage in speakers (12 vs. 6).
  • The Civic Type R lets you enjoy the benefits of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto; no WRX STI can say that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SujetoTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit Sport
When you really look at that list the points of contention are creature comforts unrelated to what the Type R really represents, a track oriented passenger car. While some may care about the beefier stereo system, I'm more interested in the LSD, the suspension, drivetrain. Other than the hp comparisons (which i didn't find compelling considering all the ADM being charged), all of the 'talking points' were about passenger car interior space which was only marginally better but not compelling.

• Audio enjoyment will be greater in the Type R Touring, thanks to its advantage in spears (12 vs. 6).

Fuck yeah, spears man! Twice as many screams, that's why it'll be greater.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Most of these points are irrelevant for an enthusiasts IMO.

Honda knows FWD isn't a selling point compared to all the AWD competitors.

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
I guess enthusiasts don't need convincing much. A subaru guy will still get a STi, a VW guy will still get a Golf R, a Ford guy will still get a Focus RS. For those enthusiasts that aren't biased to one brand, well, they probably have learnt enough from the different reviews and tests that the CTR is the real deal.

I feel like the above list is more for helping these enthusiasts to convince their significant other.....lol.

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait this is for dealers only? I saw the pamphlet in my glove box after I got home from buying my Type R... I still have it LOL.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I guess enthusiasts don't need convincing much. A subaru guy will still get a STi, a VW guy will still get a Golf R, a Ford guy will still get a Focus RS. For those enthusiasts that aren't biased to one brand, well, they probably have learnt enough from the different reviews and tests that the CTR is the real deal.

I feel like the above list is more for helping these enthusiasts to convince their significant other.....lol.
It's all relative to be honest, I didn't buy a Golf R coming from a GTI (I still have it on my garage). I bought the CTR because is more visceral than the VDUB, mine has 337 whp but still doesn't cut as much the Type R feel. At the same time, the most appealing car right now in the segment is the Honda. I will just patiently wait for tune & downpipe to cut the deficit bet. the two :D

OP
OP

type-RUsrs?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Honda Corporate views the 3 vehicles as direct competitors and set the MSRP in line.

Give the ADM being charged for the Civic Type-R; I always asked the salesperson; are you telling me the Civic Type-R is equivalent to a AMG GLA45 and they return with a blank stare and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Seriously, if you are going to ask for the price at least know what you are pricing it against...

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Honda Corporate views the 3 vehicles as direct competitors and set the MSRP in line.

Give the ADM being charged for the Civic Type-R; I always asked the salesperson; are you telling me the Civic Type-R is equivalent to a AMG GLA45 and they return with a blank stare and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Seriously, if you are going to ask for the price at least know what you are pricing it against...

It won't matter because the people paying ADM are already set on buying the car.

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag

Yea, I think most people on this forum know more than most sales people. I mean, if the salesperson knows his stuff, he would then ask, can the AMG CLA45/GLA45 do 7:43 at the Nurburgring? Can the AMG CLA45 pull over 1g with regular summer tires?
Sponsored