Hitch Project: DrawTite - Hitch / Yakima Ridgeback 2 Bike Rack

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen Hitch Project: DrawTite - Hitch /  Yakima Ridgeback 2 Bike Rack img_4257-

Hitch Project: DrawTite - 1 1/4” Receiver Hitch / Yakima Ridgeback 2 Bike Rack
I purchased the DrawTite hitch (#24937) over the Curt Hitch (#C11604) for the 2016 Civic for a couple of distinct reasons. First, it does not require holes to be drilled into the Civic frame for the mounting of the hitch, rather it wedges between the frame end panel and the rear bumper assembly. This approach does require the bottom side of the bumper facia to have a section cut-out for the hitch to drop down just below the bumper facia. This approach however actually provides second reason I favor this receiver over the Curt is that the horizontal bar is also then hidden behind the bumper facia. So the visible footprint of the hitch receiver is only hitch connection.

Cutting a notch in the bottom of the bumper facia wasn’t an easy decision but in the end the facia is more easily replaced whereas issues with the frame caused by drilling new holes for the Curt hitch could have a bigger impact a few years down the road.

Hitch Installation:
The included installation instructions are pretty detailed. My neighbor next door runs a body shop so I enlisted his help as I do not own the required die cutter to trim out a small section of the bumper. This is to allow the bumper fascia to seat back into place properly when the bumper is pushed out by the wedging of the Hitch in between frame end panel and the bumper assembly.

A full copy of the Hitch Receiver installation is available at —> http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=24937

Bike Rack Selection and Installation:
I chose a Yakima Ridgeback 2 Hitch rack. I have used Yakima racks in the past and I liked the look of this rack and it claims to have very little sway. I also considered the LiteRider 2 rack but in the end it is more costly for the reduced weight. There are many other quality hitch bike racks available at a lower price point.

The hitch says it has a shipping weight of 19 lbs but it feels heavier than that to me. The rack itself weighs 33 lbs. So the bike rack reduces the overall (tongue) capacity from 200 lbs down to around 170 lbs. My road bike is in the area of 22lbs., so no issues there.

Thoughts / Images:
Rather than embed a bunch of images into the post, here is a link to a flikr album full of images that show you pics along the way.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50614328@N00/albums/72157666889427422

The combination is really solid. My road bike is very solid on the rack even at highway speeds (70-75mph) and it does not sway back and forth even at the higher speeds. The bike rack raises up 40” so the bikes are quite high compared to the low profile of the Civic. I’m very pleased with the end result!

Project costs
Hitch Receiver $125.00 - from etrailer.com
Bike Rack $209.00 - from amazon.com (prices on this one bounce around)
Installation $100.00 - local bodyshop
—————————————
Total Cost $434.00
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This one rocked back and forth a bit at highway speeds.... mostly because its bar design didn't sit completely into the U channel restraints. Made it home safe though... 35 mile trip home from the bike shops with traffic moving on the Interstate near 80mph.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hitch Project: DrawTite - Hitch /  Yakima Ridgeback 2 Bike Rack img_4283-

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
I really like this hitch. I need to get one before summer is in full effect. Can you comment on how hard it is to remove the bumper? I like this install method. It seems very solid. Can you comment on what it might take to do in the driveway? It looks like maybe having it on ramps would be helpful for just removing the bumper, otherwise it's pretty straight on the back.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Did we ever determine if installing a hitch will void your warranty?

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Did we ever determine if installing a hitch will void your warranty?
The hitch itself cannot void the warranty as a whole thanks to the Magnusun Moss warranty act. They could however say you towed a heavy load etc and that is what caused whatever the issue maybe, especially power train. If there is any drilling required in the body it could also give them reason to deny a rust perforation claim in the vicinity of the holes.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really like this hitch. I need to get one before summer is in full effect. Can you comment on how hard it is to remove the bumper? I like this install method. It seems very solid. Can you comment on what it might take to do in the driveway? It looks like maybe having it on ramps would be helpful for just removing the bumper, otherwise it's pretty straight on the back.
It could totally be completed without raising the backend. However putting the rear-end on ramps would make it a little easier than having to crouch.

Removal of the bumper is 2 bolts (visible with the Trunk open, a couple screws in the fender well area, several of the Honda style trim clips n the bottom side of the bumper facia, pulling the gasket loose on bottom side of the trunk lip and then a very delicate process of releasing the bumper clips on the left and right sides from the tail lights forward to where the bumper meets the 1/4 panels. We started at where the bumper meets the 1/4 panel and gently pulled forward and subtly down to see where the clip was and used a small flat pry tool to release the clips one at a time. When one released we continued to work up to the next one toward the tail light.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The hitch itself cannot void the warranty as a whole thanks to the Magnusun Moss warranty act. They could however say you towed a heavy load etc and that is what caused whatever the issue maybe, especially power train. If there is any drilling required in the body it could also give them reason to deny a rust perforation claim in the vicinity of the holes.
Agreed. My only purpose for the hitch is to carry two bikes and not tow a trailer. My Honda service department is well aware of my use case.... Although I have heard dealers / Honda taking any out to prevent a warranty claim, this has not been my experience to date.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious about the spot they say to cut off the bumper. Is that so the fascia doesn't contact the bumper from it standing of the frame more with the hitch mounted behind it?

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
Hey goflyakuite, could you take a few pics and pop them on here? Without the rack I mean. Ya know, the facia trimming spot, low side profile to see how much it's visible, stuff tike that.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My bad bud, my browser doesn't always shows the links in a post. I see it now though.
I added 2 new photo's to the very end of the album that better show just the hitch beneath the car. Please for give the dirty vehicle... I took the pics before I washed it :)

pookscivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Thanks all. Maybe I should just get one of those racks that tie around the trunk. Sometimes I really miss my Element. :( Never at the gas pump though! ;)

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks all. Maybe I should just get one of those racks that tie around the trunk. Sometimes I really miss my Element. :( Never at the gas pump though! ;)
Wait, do you have a coupe? Cause a sedan should work. Plus, somebody on the forums took Thule for the sedan and put it on the coupe.
Sponsored