Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
both present on european civic's from mid-2000's (not for all trims, of course)
I guess, Honda's reasoning is that in US about 1% knows how to parallel park and uses it often, so, why bother spending money?
also, all the parking spots marked for fords F-550, so in most cases why bother folding mirrors?
Except I'm in Canada and our spots are not quite as large as the US and we parallel OFTEN.
Sponsored

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
The Hatch, in its entirety, is a hidden feature, wink wink nod nod. But srsly, this platform is so awesome and in combo with the straight-line ride (suspension?), it makes the drive so tight and taut (is this a word, read it in a automobile mag) fantastic to drive in a straightline. If Honda targeted the Audi A4 for the hatch, they hit their mark, amIright? Is there something different about this platform in hatch form versus the others (sedan, coupe)?

Last edited:

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must be another feature North America doesn't get. We can open with the key, can't close. Safety regulations or something.
You can open with the button but you need a key to close the windows for safety reasons, if someone is in the car like a child and there hand is out of the window at a distance you wouldn't see that and close the window on their arm, they want to at the car when closing to be safe.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can open with the button but you need a key to close the windows for safety reasons, if someone is in the car like a child and there hand is out of the window at a distance you wouldn't see that and close the window on their arm, they want to at the car when closing to be safe.
This is only because we have so many morons here in North America. In Europe, you can close then with the remote too.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is only because we have so many morons here in North America. In Europe, you can close then with the remote too.
America has way to many safety features on products, its because other countries don't care if you get hurt with there product its your dumb ass fault in america you get hurt and everyone feels its right to point the blame at someone else and sue them.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
America has way to many safety features on products, its because other countries don't care if you get hurt with there product its your dumb ass fault in america you get hurt and everyone feels its right to point the blame at someone else and sue them.
Exactly! And it often fucks it up for us Canadians and the rest of the normal Americans in the US that wouldn't mind if some idiot's hand got chopped off if they decided to put their hand in our windows and left them there while we closed them.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Strange because when the windows senses some resistance it opens again by itself. So normally nobody can get hurt.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Strange because when the windows senses some resistance it opens again by itself. So normally nobody can get hurt.
Which is actually a bad thing what if someone goes crazy and tries to attack you? It does happen, and if your window just keeps rolling down because of a stupid "safety" feature then you're more screwed.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Which is actually a bad thing what if someone goes crazy and tries to attack you? It does happen, and if your window just keeps rolling down because of a stupid "safety" feature then you're more screwed.
From the manual: "The driver's window auto reverse function is disabled when you continuously pull up the switch."

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From the manual: "The driver's window auto reverse function is disabled when you continuously pull up the switch."
... And here is the answer :p

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
I wish we had ... auto lowering mirrors when backing up like the Hyundai Santa Fe. Both would be super useful.

(I'm always turning my passenger mirror down to parallel park, because I can't see shit in the hatchback and am terrified of scratching another rim.)
Agree. I came from an Audi A4 with this feature and between the tilt down mirror and rear view camera parallel parking was a breeze. It is the only practical feature I've found missing so far - it will take some getting used to, and unfortunately I see rim rash in the future.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
I was wondering with the ACC on...
when my car is keeping a set distance on the freeway and adjusts to a slower speed to the traffic ahead do the brake lights go on or does the car in some cases just let off the gas with no brake lights?

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering with the ACC on...
when my car is keeping a set distance on the freeway and adjusts to a slower speed to the traffic ahead do the brake lights go on or does the car in some cases just let off the gas with no brake lights?
If the car needs to apply the brakes, the brake lights will turn on (I've done the test). Otherwise, if it's just coasting, it won't turn on the brake lights.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Agree. I came from an Audi A4 with this feature and between the tilt down mirror and rear view camera parallel parking was a breeze. It is the only practical feature I've found missing so far - it will take some getting used to, and unfortunately I see rim rash in the future.
You could manually lower your passenger mirror when parallel parking. But if you parallel park a lot, I can see this being a bit of a pain.

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
You could manually lower your passenger mirror when parallel parking. But if you parallel park a lot, I can see this being a bit of a pain.
Well, that comes back to another somewhat missed feature from the Audi.... key-based seat/mirror memory settings. Basically you could adjust the seats/mirrors to your preference and save it to a key. Two settings per key, as well.

I'm trying to get used to using the grid lines on the rear view camera to find my way. Definitely requires more looking over my shoulder. I'm finding myself parking almost a foot from the curb when parallel parking. It will just take some time to adjust.
Sponsored