Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Anyone else having to restart the head unit every time they want to use CarPlay?
Not me. Works fine, although this afternoon, Maps wasn't displaying a map, so I exited Maps and got back into it, and it worked fine after that.

Also, my car sometimes beeps as if it's on with the keys left in (after I've turned it off and left the car WITH the keys), preventing me from locking the door.
Could be another sensor messing up. Mine does the rapid beeps about a fifth of the time after getting out of the car. Opening and closing any door -- even the hatch -- somehow convinces the system to beep once like normal.
Sponsored

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Thanks

Will try this but I never use brake hold as I don't like the little jolt of the brakes releasing that I get when I go to accelerate.
My superior brain allows me to ignore those. lol.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I can confirm that CarPlay used the Phone's GPS, not the car's.

IMG_0039.PNG
IMG_0052.PNG

IMG_0053.PNG

IMG_0054.PNG
That's inconclusive since disabling Location Services also disables the ability for the phone to use the vehicle's GPS in order to determine location. Otherwise, there's no point in disabling Location Services for privacy if the phone can just determine and send it from an alternate source - such as the vehicle. :)

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
A friend was on his way out of the passenger's seat and was trying to clean the carpet and left it a bit loose so that's why I pounced and quickly deduce this little compartment with a number on top of it. This will be where I store the boot and treasure I accumulate

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
A friend was on his way out of the passenger's seat and was trying to clean the carpet and left it a bit loose so that's why I pounced and quickly deduce this little compartment with a number on top of it. This will be where I store the boot and treasure I accumulate
What compartment?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's inconclusive since disabling Location Services also disables the ability for the phone to use the vehicle's GPS in order to determine location. Otherwise, there's no point in disabling Location Services for privacy if the phone can just determine and send it from an alternate source - such as the vehicle. :)
How do you know this?

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
What compartment?
It's a plastic lid and reveals the vin stamped on the frame according to a thread I read.

Just happen to notice the auto high beams...I'll look for the icon next time know I have this feature...like @BarracksSi says turn on like flashing someone and (I could be wrong) but I noticed, one push forward on high beams then back seemed to deactivate the feature.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
How do you know this?
"Location Services uses GPS, Bluetooth, crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot, and cellular towers to determine the location of your device."

The specific sources of the GPS signal are not specified in this article, so we cannot exclude location information being provided by the vehicle's GPS as one of those sources.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207056

"1. Location Services uses GPS and Bluetooth (where they're available), along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspots and cellular towers to determine the approximate location of your device.

2. Apps won't use your location until they ask for your permission and you allow permission."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

"If the car has its own GPS antenna, as the C-class did, CarPlay makes use of it to get better positioning."

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-carplay/preview/

"The USB connection not only carries power and audio/video signals, it also carries the car’s GPS location information to the phone, a signal that may be more precise than the phone’s GPS. It knows and reports the state of the car: moving, stopped, parked."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ay-and-wont-love-it-and-likewise-android-auto

"I was told at Google I/O last year that Auto could leverages the car’s GPS antenna which should make it more accurate, and it should help to improve the phone’s battery situation."

https://gizmodo.com/android-auto-preview-its-not-perfect-but-you-want-it-1707102125

"It will also use the car’s embedded GPS receiver to fine-tune your location."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...uto-last-rites-due-for-in-dash-gps-navigation

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My superior brain allows me to ignore those. lol.
I guess I could get used to it.

Is there no way to set the parking brake to come on every time I turn the engine off in general or have the brake hold system come on automatically any time I turn the car on?

My last vehicle was a Cherokee 2015) and it had a setting to auto set the parking brake anytime I put it into park.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I could get used to it.

Is there no way to set the parking brake to come on every time I turn the engine off in general or have the brake hold system come on automatically any time I turn the car on?

My last vehicle was a Cherokee 2015) and it had a setting to auto set the parking brake anytime I put it into park.
I don't have any lag with the brake hold.

As for auto, unfortunately not. Though, if you do wait a second and have the brake hold activate and then release the pedal (while the hold is active) and then put the car in park (for CVT) and either remove your seatbelt or turn the car off, the parking brake activates every time. But only if the hold was actually engaged, not just on standby. No trick yet to automatically activate brake hold.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I wish we had automatic folding mirrors like the Kia Rondo and auto lowering mirrors when backing up like the Hyundai Santa Fe. Both would be super useful.

(I'm always turning my passenger mirror down to parallel park, because I can't see shit in the hatchback and am terrified of scratching another rim.)

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
I wish we had automatic folding mirrors like the Kia Rondo and auto lowering mirrors when backing up like the Hyundai Santa Fe. Both would be super useful.

(I'm always turning my passenger mirror down to parallel park, because I can't see shit in the hatchback and am terrified of scratching another rim.)
But them ears look good and that's all that counts.

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
both present on european civic's from mid-2000's (not for all trims, of course)
I guess, Honda's reasoning is that in US about 1% knows how to parallel park and uses it often, so, why bother spending money?
also, all the parking spots marked for fords F-550, so in most cases why bother folding mirrors?
Sponsored