Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
First post here...

I've owned Honda and Acura cars in the past (CRX, Civic, Integra) but recently have been driving Hyundai/KIA cars (Elantra GT, Forte SX). I'm very impressed with this 10th gen Civic.

I am curious about something. The turbo models have dual mufflers yet Honda chose to keep them hidden with unfinished tips. There's not even an accessory chrome/stainless exhaust tip available. Why do you think Honda choose to go this route? It seems like it doesn't fit the new sporty look they were going for... :dunno:
Sponsored

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I'm not really sure, although the rear bumper design would look strange with exposed tips the way its currently setup. But this is one of my knocks against it, I like to see my exhaust.

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
Some of the guys here have said that not showing the exhaust tips goes towards the car's image as being very gas friendly and efficient. Don't know if true.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
That's a bad theory IMO especially if they are going for the sporty image as someone mentioned. The plugin hybrid version of the X5 has big exhaust pipes and plenty of others too. I think sporty and efficient is the best of both worlds. Why try to hide the accomplishment.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Yeah considering the Accord Sport flaunts a pair of beefy tips.

I'd like to see someone photoshop a pair of tasteful, low profile tips onto a 1.5T just to see how it'd look....

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a very rough chop I did...

Definitely would look better if they had cutouts in the bumper.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hidden exhaust tips

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
So much better. Looks like a proper sporty car now :thumbsup:

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Some of the guys here have said that not showing the exhaust tips goes towards the car's image as being very gas friendly and efficient. Don't know if true.
Doesn't make sense to me. An efficient car is an efficient car no matter what it looks like. And if it's not efficient, having no exhaust showing wouldn't trick eco-friendly people into buying it either. The 2016 Civic's definitely an efficient car and class leading MPG, but why not just make the exhaust a design feature for those of us that care about the sportier look with exhaust.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen Hidden exhaust test

How about something like this?

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
I quite liked the concept's single center tailpipe. Any chance the coupe gets the tail pipes (single or double) to make it even more distinct than the sedan?

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
test.jpg
How about something like this?
Well damn gtman, that looks really good, is there anyway you could do a side view as well?

What I am worried about is the pipe/tip looking strange from the side, but you are giving me some good ideas of what to tell my exhaust guy.

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
I quite liked the concept's single center tailpipe. Any chance the coupe gets the tail pipes (single or double) to make it even more distinct than the sedan?
Pretty sure the patent images showed the same rear valence for both coupe and sedan save for the full tail lights.

Edit, just checked and actually it looks like there could be a space for either dual tails or a single center tail pipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hidden exhaust 2016-civic-4-626x391

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Although the driving dynamics have improved, Honda is prioritizing the "green" personality on its base models. Also, the lower stance means they would have to cut away the rear valance to avoid clearance issues. The more sporty personality will be reserved for the Si and above. Though if they follow Accord's lead they could introduce a "Sport" option with the 6MT, spoiler, larger wheels, and chrome tip exhaust.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Although the driving dynamics have improved, Honda is prioritizing the "green" personality on its base models. Also, the lower stance means they would have to cut away the rear valance to avoid clearance issues. The more sporty personality will be reserved for the Si and above. Though if they follow Accord's lead they could introduce a "Sport" option with the 6MT, spoiler, larger wheels, and chrome tip exhaust.
Maybe that's what Honda has in mind when it comes to these rumors that the manual transmission will come to other base mode(s), eventually.
Sponsored