[Help] Electric Parking Brake Problem

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm having quite the issue at the moment. I have on my screen the title of this thread, the Brake light is flashing, the Brake System is lit up yellow and I can't move my car. The parking brake will not disengage currently. It took about 5 minutes to get it to disengage and get it home, but I have no idea the damage to the brakes or if it even released correctly. Now it is engaged and I cannot disengage it.

Any ideas?

Edit: Brake! Sorry was in a hurry to type this and missed the autocorrect correcting it to that one.

Thanks.
Sponsored

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Try removing your battery cables for a bit and see if the codes will clear. Maybe it says something in the owners manual

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Try removing your battery cables for a bit and see if the codes will clear. Maybe it says something in the owners manual
The code seems correct though as the stupid electronic parking brake button does nothing currently. Can press it a hundred times and it won't disengage right now.

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Yeah sometimes removing the battery cable removes power from the system and will clear whatever fault code is keeping them from releasing. It's not 100% effective but it's worth a try. If not all new hondas come with roadside assistance I believe so you might have to look into that and have it towed to the dealer cause without the Honda diagnostic system you won't be able to retrieve the fault code to tell you where to look, plus your car is under warranty so why would you

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah sometimes removing the battery cable removes power from the system and will clear whatever fault code is keeping them from releasing. It's not 100% effective but it's worth a try. If not all new hondas come with roadside assistance I believe so you might have to look into that and have it towed to the dealer cause without the Honda diagnostic system you won't be able to retrieve the fault code to tell you where to look, plus your car is under warranty so why would you
Lucky for me all the dealers nearby are closed until Monday! Thanks, will see if that works maybe. It sounds like it is exactly the same thing that the 2016 recall is for....I thought they fixed this? Putting an electric parking brake in this thing was such a mistake. :mad:

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
I agree but as it isn't a whole separate car, based on a pre existing chassis, they probably didn't want to have to reengineer the interior to have a manual parking brake. I don't think they should have ever introduced them. Unfortunately I can do much more to help you unless you are close to central Illinois.

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Putting an electric parking brake in this thing was such a mistake. :mad:
100% spot on.

That's the only complaint I have about the car so far is that I absolutely hate the electric parking brake. After having a manual brake since I was 16 it's so hard to break the habit and I still have the damn thing beeping and talking to me about it.

Hate to hear it's left you stranded like that man. Definitely let us know what happens...

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree but as it isn't a whole separate car, based on a pre existing chassis, they probably didn't want to have to reengineer the interior to have a manual parking brake. I don't think they should have ever introduced them. Unfortunately I can do much more to help you unless you are close to central Illinois.
Sorry not close at all! Thanks for the online help though! What is the correct way to disconnected the battery? I have forgotten if there is a specific order you take the contacts on and off?

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Also you can set it so it doesn't turn on every time you turn the car off in the settings menu. Then maybe just put it in gear until you really need the brake.

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Just take them off doesn't really matter. Leave them off for 5-10 minutes to drain all the power from all the computers and then hook them back up

slydez

First Name
Shape
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan EX-T 2016
From
Electric Parking Brake with Automatic Brake Hold
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...ronic-Parking-Brake-with-Automatic-Brake-Hold

Electric Parking Brake Keep your vehicle from moving while parked using a simple switch. To apply: Pull up the switch. The BrAKe indicator appears in the instrument panel. To release: Press the brake pedal and make sure your seat belt is fastened. Press the switch down to release. You can also lightly press the accelerator pedal (and release the clutch pedal for manual transmission) if your seat belt is fastened, the vehicle is on, and the shift lever is in Drive (D) or reverse (r) (or a gear is engaged for manual transmission).

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also you can set it so it doesn't turn on every time you turn the car off in the settings menu. Then maybe just put it in gear until you really need the brake.
I didn't even know that was a feature until I parked the car at home in gear and turned it off knowing the brake was broken and it engaged. I use it manually usually every time before turning off the car. It's currently in gear with the e-brake on unable to disengage. Going to try and disconnect the battery I guess and see how that goes...

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try to drive usually mine disengage when I put it in gear drive.
It's a manual, no "drive" gear selector option. I can put it in first or reverse, but it stays engaged.
Sponsored