Hatchback LX vs. Hatchback Sport

speeddyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 6 spd Honda Civic Hatchback Touring
Country flag
Hi: I'm looking to get a Hatchback LX and wonder if anyone can tell me the real difference in
the Sport and LX model aside from options. Is the ride quality better on the Sport and is the Sport
really any faster than the LX. I know the tires are 18 compared to 16". For the difference in
price there needs to be more than the options.
Sponsored

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The options were the big difference, the 18 inch wheels compared to 16 is one by far a better handling car plus the sway bar is much bigger at least in the back I've been told. And the wheels are black and look like aftermarket. The shocks from what I've read are also different and much better handling. Best handling Honda I've ever owned. The exterior also sold it for me , center exhaust with ground effects from the factory! One overlooked item is paddle shifters, they are great!

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6hp much more fatser than the lx....thats it

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
The Sport feels faster than the regular hatch, if you put 93 octane in it, but if you do the same in the LX it's likely to feel the same or similar.

My 18" wheels make the car handle much flatter than my 16" winter tires, but you can put your own wheels/tires on so get the Sport if you like the style of the 18s. The leather steering wheel is also nice, I hate plastic wheels.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
The sport MAY handle better with those 18" wheels, but it's gonna a ride worse.

Honestly, the options are gonna be the only real world difference. Do you wanna pay thousands more for options you may or may not use? That's the only question that counts. Your money, your choice.

Last edited:

fluffyvader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport
Country flag
Sport comes with fog lights, underbody kit, wheels, center exhaust, and 6 more hp w/ premium fuel.
If you don't need all those i would just go with the LX bc it still looks good.

This lx is the best base model civic i've seen in a while.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The center exhaust in the sport will limit you if you want a trailer hitch for carrying bikes. I am so bummed the Type R will have the center mount. I'll have to stuff my Mt. Bike in the hatch.

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
http://honda.ca/civic_hatchback/specs
Doesn't specify suspension tuning, but sport is 5mm lower than the LX. With sport you get:
Center mounted exhaust, 18in wheels (and wider tires 235 vs 215), fog lights, moon roof, body skirt kit, paddle shifters for CVT, and another bunch of hoohaa

The sport won't be much faster than the LX since you can only get the rated power from premium fuel. It's been quoted around the forums that the ECU coding is exactly the same anyways. Expect a firmer ride (rougher even), but even less body roll when cornering.

I believe you also get much better tires on the Sport than the LX. My LX got Hankook Kinergy GT (meh). I think the sport tires will vary from dealer to dealer

Last edited:

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
Here in quebec the base sport come's with 18" wheel, sunroof, push button, big screen infotainement, leather steering and shifter, smart key, for 25k $ can. I dont know why in u.s you can have a sport with no option at 22k $ it's the same price with exchange rate.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here in quebec the base sport come's with 18" wheel, sunroof, push button, big screen infotainement, leather steering and shifter, smart key, for 25k $ can. I dont why in u.s you can have a sport with no option at 22k $ it's the same price with exchange rate.
Companies set prices some time in advance, and financially hedge for currency variations, so they're not affected by short-term changes in currency.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I'd pick the LX.

The larger wheels/tires on the Sport are possibly (?) heavier than those on the LX. Greater rotational mass means less acceleration. This may mitigate part of the Sport's hp increase.

$$$ when time to buy new tires. Potholed roads in my area make large wheels with lo pro tires a liability.

Road noise up, ride quality down.

Center exhaust is a major minus for me. I haul a bike on a hitch mounted rack pretty often. Center exhaust greatly limits hitch options. The sheet metal is so thin and oil cans so easily on our Civic, I wouldn't want to put a rack on the flimsy roof. Ask Honda Fit owners about this.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel no difference in acceleration with my 19lb winter wheels but the squishy 16" tires make you feel torque steer and body roll. I thought ride would improve with the 16s but it didn't.

Potholes are a real concern with 18s, I was going to sell my 18s but now looks like I may not have the car long so I'm gonna keep the 18s for resale.