Hatch Sport Rear Fender Liners?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Anyone notice the material used on the rear fender wheel well liners to be rather odd? Its not plastic like the front wheel wells are, it seems to be this softboard type of material with a felt/carpet-like surface? I've seen it used more to line the interior of the trunk, not sure it belongs outside, unless they forgot something at the factory?
Sponsored

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone notice the material used on the rear fender wheel well liners to be rather odd? Its not plastic like the front wheel wells are, it seems to be this softboard type of material with a felt/carpet-like surface? I've seen it used more to line the interior of the trunk, not sure it belongs outside, unless they forgot something at the factory?
For whatever reason, this carpet like material is becoming more popular over plastic. New Silverado's also have this material so I've concluded that someone decided it must be better somehow (I don't agree though). I think a good spray with a water hose will probably clean everything off.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For whatever reason, this carpet like material is becoming more popular over plastic. New Silverado's also have this material so I've concluded that someone decided it must be better somehow (I don't agree though). I think a good spray with a water hose will probably clean everything off.
I noticed this during my Eibach install. It's a very nice material. Time will tell how it holds up to the elements.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably for noise reduction?

VEZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport+Sensing CVT (Canada) 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Judging from my 5-year old Mazda CX-5 (where I saw the use of this material for the first time), this stuff does not deteriorate and stay relatively clean.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah, alot of GM vehicles have been using this material for awhile

OP
OP

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Looked at the underbody and most of what used to be plastic panels is now the same material too - guess its all for noise reduction!

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
the first car I had with that material was a 2005 Acura TL. It is supposed to reduce noise intrusion into the cabin from tire noise quite a bit.

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
Do you think this material offers better rust protection or would it make it worse due to holding water?
Sponsored