GPS location

ApolloOKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC EX-L 2016 w/SENSING
Hi. I was wondering where exactly located the GPS inside 2016 Civic's (EXL sensing) dashboard and how can be disabled temporarily if needed? Can someone attach a photo of the exact location please?
Sponsored

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would an EXL Sensing even have GPS since it doesn't have navi?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
All Display Audio trims have GPS antenna. For HondaLink purposes? Located somewhere in dash, looks like to me. (Maybe co-located with the sun sensor?!?) Why would you need to "disable it temporarily?" An ESD bag or something similar (e.g., foil) might be sufficient to block it but might need to be grounded. In a car without nav, I don't know how you'd know if you'd blocked reception or not. Which gets back to the question of why you'd want to.

OP
OP

ApolloOKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC EX-L 2016 w/SENSING
All Display Audio trims have GPS antenna. For HondaLink purposes? Located somewhere in dash, looks like to me. (Maybe co-located with the sun sensor?!?) Why would you need to "disable it temporarily?" An ESD bag or something similar (e.g., foil) might be sufficient to block it but might need to be grounded. In a car without nav, I don't know how you'd know if you'd blocked reception or not. Which gets back to the question of why you'd want to.
Let me rephrase my question: in the Display Screen I see a small icon that looks like a satellite which momentarily blinks and then stays steady which means connection established. I didn't find any related information in the manual. I'm not sure if this icon means either GPS or satellite link for SIRIUS which I'm not a subscriber. In any case I don't want the location of my vehicle to be traceable. So my questions are:

a) In a Sensing model that doesn't have navigation, does the car itself expose its location due to satellite link?

b) You mentioned "Located somewhere in dash". But where exactly?

Thanks

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What do you mean by "expose its location"? The icon means GPS receive. GPS is a one way system. The GPS satellites know nothing of where receivers are located. GPS receive is in all Display Audio trims, not just Sensing. (Don't think the Sensing features even use GPS location.)

Not clear what the car does with the location information it acquires using GPS. Not clear if Honda continually telemeters that location via Hondalink. A post in another thread indicated that Android Auto and Car Play may use the GPS information sourced from the car to assist their map apps. Android and iOS both telemeter device location to "the cloud" if enabled to do so, with or without the car's help. At any rate, if you don't connect your phone or any phone apps with the car, I don't know how the car would communicate its position, since it doesn't have its own mobile connectivity (e.g., OnStar). I would bet they record its location history in one or more of the onboard systems. People have reported finding location data stored in the head unit, and it may get picked up by the EDR--though not clear if that stores more than the last few seconds prior to a collision.

As I posted, I don't know where, exactly, the GPS antenna is in the dash--or even for certain that's where it is. The parts catalog makes it appear so but only vaguely. Also, as I posted, if I were betting, I'd bet it's co-located with, or located very near, the sun sensor that's right up next to the windshield in the center of the dash. Look for a different colored plastic rectangle with a dime-sized pimple on it. That's the sun sensor.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
its under the panel above the cluster. But without gps a error message will pop up on the headunit that covers the whole screen. Easiest method is probably just to pull the radio fuse.

Honda Civic 10th gen GPS location yocCNlU

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag