GPS issue on 2017 Sport Touring Hatchback

ApathyRules

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
I've had an issue ever since I bought my car about seven weeks ago. The GPS sometimes will not have any idea of where the car actually is and display it in a location that is off the road or even in a lake. The problem will correct itself after about 10 minutes, and display the correct location.

I've taken the car in to the dealership five times and the best the dealership has been able to do is reduce the amount of time it takes the GPS to correct itself. It now shows the correct location after about three minutes.

My question is this, is two or three minutes normal for this car/GPS unit? I've never had a Garmin, only Honda factory units and they never behaved this way.

Any thoughts or ideas you have would be appreciated. I've owned more than seven different Hondas and never have I had this kind one trouble with one.

Thanks. In advance!
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
This hasn't happened on my EX-L hatch, and it definitely isn't normal behavior. Does it happen with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay as well?

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring edition sedan that I bought with 6600 miles on it and have this issue. Sometimes (not always) when I pull out of my garage it will show me driving all over the golf course or even into the ocean! Then it gets me closer to the road that I'm actually on and finally operates normally. I have noticed that there is a technical bulletin about a software update that includes a fix for this problem. I would have thought the '17 model already has the latest software.

OP
OP

ApathyRules

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
This hasn't happened on my EX-L hatch, and it definitely isn't normal behavior. Does it happen with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay as well?
No it doesn't happen with Apple CarPlay. It almost feels like it's taking a long time to acquire the satellites.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
I've had an issue ever since I bought my car about seven weeks ago. The GPS sometimes will not have any idea of where the car actually is and display it in a location that is off the road or even in a lake. The problem will correct itself after about 10 minutes, and display the correct location.

I've taken the car in to the dealership five times and the best the dealership has been able to do is reduce the amount of time it takes the GPS to correct itself. It now shows the correct location after about three minutes.

My question is this, is two or three minutes normal for this car/GPS unit? I've never had a Garmin, only Honda factory units and they never behaved this way.

Any thoughts or ideas you have would be appreciated. I've owned more than seven different Hondas and never have I had this kind one trouble with one.

Thanks. In advance!
In my experience, that's how the lower end Garmin units used to act. Would take them awhile to lock and and acquire satellites. The GPS hardware in these Hondas are probably equivalent to those older, low-end Garmin units.

wjkuleck

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Pilot Touring, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the offset problem two or three times, but as someone earlier posted, it cures itself pretty quickly. It hasn't happened enough to be annoying enough to make a special service visit for it. When the car goes in for its first service I will bring it up.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring Sedan. When parked outside, the GPS acquires my location within a few seconds of startup. When parked underground, it gets my location with a few seconds after getting above ground.

I would imagine the GPS antenna in a car would be better than in a handheld unit, so what you are describing doesn’t sound normal.

As mentioned above, search this site to see if someone has posted a technical bulletin for this.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have talked with Honda Tech support and I don't they have a clue as to solve this ....my Honda dealer has seen the same problem on other Civics and they say that they are waiting for Tech support and Tech support says it's the dealers call on how to fix ....Garmin is pointing their finger at Garmin and Honda thinks it's Garmin fault ..damn frustrating !!
Ya I hear you. It seems this forum is much better informed than dealers or tech support. The only reason I was able to get my ‘turbo surging at highway speeds” issue resolved was because I was able to get the bulletin number from this forum.
Sponsored