Got my drive today - didn't take it home yet

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Dealer finally got the blue sedan (and a black coupe) in overnight, so drove the sedan this afternoon. Sitting in it for 20 minutes and taking a 15 mile run makes it so hard to really get a feel for the car but here's what went down.

Just sitting, not driving, it is short for me. My head and or hair brushed the frame of the sunroof. I did a lot of adjusting to find a best scenario position and came close to eliminating that issue.

Liked the interior fit and finish fine. The rear seat room looked tighter than I expected it to look compared to my accord, which is cavernous. Of course, since I'm not sitting back there that'd be my daughter's problem - and she's a lot smaller than me. A first I thought the bolstering might be a concern for my larger frame but once I got it out on the road I didn't notice it a bit. I was comfortable in the seat.

Once driving the headroom issue seemed to go away... natural hunch when driving maybe?

I babied it for a minute and it certainly felt sturdy and precise. We took it on the 465 so I got some highway time with a bit of traffic I handily passed. I cruised in 5th and tried out acceleration from cruising - I didn't find it horrible. Dropped it down a gear and enjoyed the acceleration, though it was admittedly without drama. So hard to get used to a clutch and gears in 15 miles though.

Got to drive it to my exit, and took it around the double S curves near my office and right by the freeway. Again, not trying to push it too hard, but those turns were fun. First run through em I kept it in 3rd so no pull coming out of each turn but sure did stick to the road. Turned around in a parking lot and an older Acura (tlx, ilx? Sport coup) was heading the other way. Going back through I put the gears to work a bit better, and had more confidence, took the turns around 50 and by the last was caught up to the Acura, who was sure to look in his rearview at the stop light.

Ok, I'm rambling now. I really liked the drive. I'm really not sure 20 minutes gives a full feel.

Price - wouldn't budge on MSRP. Car already had splash guards installed at no additional cost - every car on this dealer's lot has splash guards. Tires - Wouldn't budge on swapping, but would sell me a new set at cost as part of the initial deal or later when I wanted em. Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ at $160 a piece. I was told 1.9% wouldn't be a problem.

So why am I not looking at it in my driveway right now? I think there's a numbness that washes over while trying to take all that in on the drive and at the dealership. I wasn't giddy. I drove home, talked to the wife, and told the sales guy we'd talk Monday (blue laws in Indiana mean no car sales on Sunday. Crazy silly stuff).
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Hi TTRPGGeek. I just went through the dealer thing, and your right, it is a bit overwhelming. I think that they do some of that on purpose. Tomorrow will give you a chance to reflect about what you experienced today. Then next week tell them that you want to drive it again (if your still interested).

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Dealer finally got the blue sedan (..., it is short for me. My head and or hair brushed the frame of the sunroof. I did a lot of adjusting to find a best scenario position and came close to eliminating that issue. ...
Assuming you're talking about the Si - Did you try the driver's seat height adjuster? You can gain or lose about 1 in depending on how it's set.

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Well... went back and its a no go. There's no comfortable supportive seating position that doesn't have my head brushing or hitting the frame of the sunroof. Half inch more clearance and it'd be the start of a long lasting relationship. Ah well, there are other fish in the sea.

By the way, if anybody's looking Ed Martin Honda in Indianapolis has a Black Coupe and a Blue Sedan. Both have splash guards pre installed at no added cost. The Sedan has summer tires and about 16 pretty much gently driven miles on it. MSRP at the moment. Ask for Chad, he's a good kid, and tell him Tony the tall bummed guy sent ya.

piatikantrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
How tall are you?
Well... went back and its a no go. There's no comfortable supportive seating position that doesn't have my head brushing or hitting the frame of the sunroof. Half inch more clearance and it'd be the start of a long lasting relationship. Ah well, there are other fish in the sea.

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Yep jealous of all you happy owners.

Think I'll be test driving a WRX and GTI next week, as both are available without head room eating sunroofs and, why not.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Yeah, a friend of mine is 6'4, and kinda tall from the waist up? and he was brushing the roof in my car.

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Yeah, a friend of mine is 6'4, and kinda tall from the waist up? and he was brushing the roof in my car.

Yeah I shoulda known. My brother has a 9th gen EX-L and as a passenger I have to tilt my head to avoid the sun roof frame in it. I was hoping the wider 10th gen might push that frame wide enough but, no go. Too bad, cuz I just loved that test drive. Trying to talk my brother into picking one up - he misses rowing his own gears, he's a system's analyst/engineer/whatever tech guy with a ton of letters after his name on his biz card, he's got no kids and his paid for house came with his wife so... dude needs to stimulate the economy some :)

Meanwhile, I haven't test driven anything else yet but I'm gonna add the focus st to the list. $4000 cash back they've got going means I've gotta check it out. I think the wife thinks the GTI is too cute - ah well. She thinks miata's are for girls so what does she know. Either way she's telling me to get what makes me happy so, cool. SHE wants a plum crazy Challenger, which is cool with me but, well, I'm not interested in sitting on a big purple muscle... that's her job.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah I shoulda known. My brother has a 9th gen EX-L and as a passenger I have to tilt my head to avoid the sun roof frame in it. I was hoping the wider 10th gen might push that frame wide enough but, no go. Too bad, cuz I just loved that test drive. Trying to talk my brother into picking one up - he misses rowing his own gears, he's a system's analyst/engineer/whatever tech guy with a ton of letters after his name on his biz card, he's got no kids and his paid for house came with his wife so... dude needs to stimulate the economy some :)

Meanwhile, I haven't test driven anything else yet but I'm gonna add the focus st to the list. $4000 cash back they've got going means I've gotta check it out. I think the wife thinks the GTI is too cute - ah well. She thinks miata's are for girls so what does she know. Either way she's telling me to get what makes me happy so, cool. SHE wants a plum crazy Challenger, which is cool with me but, well, I'm not interested in sitting on a big purple muscle... that's her job.
I'm only 5'8 and I can tell this car is very short. I realized this even more when I sat in the back. Usually I have to reach up to grab the safety handle on other cars, but it's almost leveled with my head in the civic.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
NO.:)

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Do you think a 6'1 1/2 person will have a problem being comfortable in one?
Not at all. If I were an inch shorter I'd be past the break in point on my new Aegean Blue Civic SI sedan by now.

Ah well. Hmmm... maybe I should look at a Sport Hatch?
Sponsored