Gen x hatchback mod questions from a noob

Piratejing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017
Hello everyone!

I just got a new genx hatchback 2017. I have been lurking around and I don't know too much about cars but I have been reading and learning alot ! So I have been reading about mods for the hatchback and I should start with a cold air intake first. Then an exhaust and then an intercooler . And finally a custom tune . Is this the correct pathway I should take for a cvt with a turbo ? I checked alot of places for parts and I don't see many that first the hatchback trim just the civic sedans . Will those fit too?

I also am worried about reading about the cvt wearing out or not being able to handle the torque . Any advice would be appreciated ! You guys are all really amazing and I have read alot of posts and this community is really good to each other .
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I just got a new genx hatchback 2017. I have been lurking around and I don't know too much about cars but I have been reading and learning alot ! So I have been reading about mods for the hatchback and I should start with a cold air intake first. Then an exhaust and then an intercooler . And finally a custom tune . Is this the correct pathway I should take for a cvt with a turbo ? I checked alot of places for parts and I don't see many that first the hatchback trim just the civic sedans . Will those fit too?

I also am worried about reading about the cvt wearing out or not being able to handle the torque . Any advice would be appreciated ! You guys are all really amazing and I have read alot of posts and this community is really good to each other .
You can probably max out your CVT's safe torque handling abilities with a tune and no other mods. That is where your significant gains are. The stock intake is very efficient. Aftermarket intakes add noise but little to no power. A cat less down pipe can be helpful but the catback portion of the exhaust is great unless you are looking for more sound. The intakes fit all body styles, catback exhausts are more specific.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The only drivetrain mod I'd bother doing on my CVT would be a catback and maybe a reflash.

One of the things I miss the most about my EP was how nice the Fujitsubo exhaust sounded. I can't hear the engine in my FK unless I've got the windows rolled up, so it's hard to know how many RPMs it's doing unless I take my eyes off the road and look for the undersized tach needle.

Besides that, I've resigned to the fact that I'll never get to really wring out the motor on the roads around here. I'd have more fun doing tires and brake pads, and then taking it autocrossing.

OP
OP

Piratejing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can probably max out your CVT's safe torque handling abilities with a tune and no other mods. That is where your significant gains are. The stock intake is very efficient. Aftermarket intakes add noise but little to no power. A cat less down pipe can be helpful but the catback portion of the exhaust is great unless you are looking for more sound. The intakes fit all body styles, catback exhausts are more specific.
Thank you for the info! So I should really just leave all the after market parts for later and just do a tune? Won't I have to get another tune anyways later if I add parts ? Also I keep reading there are turbo upgrade kit . What are those ?

OP
OP

Piratejing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only drivetrain mod I'd bother doing on my CVT would be a catback and maybe a reflash.

One of the things I miss the most about my EP was how nice the Fujitsubo exhaust sounded. I can't hear the engine in my FK unless I've got the windows rolled up, so it's hard to know how many RPMs it's doing unless I take my eyes off the road and look for the undersized tach needle.

Besides that, I've resigned to the fact that I'll never get to really wring out the motor on the roads around here. I'd have more fun doing tires and brake pads, and then taking it autocrossing.
I do want to reflash with the Hondata flashpro but I hear I can get more from a custom tune .
I do want different EP because I want to hear it. But that's just for my own aesthetics and not performance

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the info! So I should really just leave all the after market parts for later and just do a tune? Won't I have to get another tune anyways later if I add parts ? Also I keep reading there are turbo upgrade kit . What are those ?
There are no current turbo upgrade kits available for this platform. While it's possible, you are looking at having to have a completely custom setup put together for you. There is an upgrade to the stock turbo in development. You can use a "base map tune" from either Ktuner or Hondata to start with and then have a pro tuner work on a custom tune for your vehicle once you are done modding.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do want to reflash with the Hondata flashpro but I hear I can get more from a custom tune.
You can get "more" but the CVT won't transmit more than Hondata or KTuner can give you. Honda's already probed the CVT's torque limits and won't push the engine past what the CVT will handle.

If you're looking for big power mods, you've bought the wrong model. That's just how it is.

OP
OP

Piratejing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get "more" but the CVT won't transmit more than Hondata or KTuner can give you. Honda's already probed the CVT's torque limits and won't push the engine past what the CVT will handle.

If you're looking for big power mods, you've bought the wrong model. That's just how it is.
No it's fair enough . Im happy with what I have . I'm just trying to get the best idea as where I should head for it haha

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No it's fair enough . Im happy with what I have . I'm just trying to get the best idea as where I should head for it haha
This is where I'd head if I lived in Knoxville:
http://www.etrscca.org

Looks like most of their events are in Bristol and Kodak. They might know of more events closer to you, too.

ruc13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the CVT as well, but with the Flashpro being my only performance upgrade. Plenty of fun in my opinion.