Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ?

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
I had the black hoses, and I smelled fuel for months. I also had a rattling brass filter inside the can, but when I replaced that I also used an adjustable wrench to tighten the threaded hose connectors about as far as they would go (as the directions state, they DO NOT tighten flush with the can). Since that time, about two weeks ago, the smell has been much less. I'm not sure if there is any new contributions to the smell: Whenever I go by my workbench where I stored the factory hoses replaced by the Mishimoto ones in the box the catch can came in, I can smell that waste fuel/oil scent.... Once it is on something, it's going to smell almost forever. Could be that the lingering scent i get a lot less frequently and severely now is a result of whatever fumes escaped from the under-torqued threaded connectors and clung to other surfaces under the hood.

Screw it man.
Sponsored

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
newbie here!....what is that catch can for?
do we have one stock?
whats it use?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
newbie here!....what is that catch can for?
do we have one stock?
whats it use?
The catch can filters the air from the PCV valve before it dumps back into the intake. This air has small amounts of oil in it. Over time, that oil that gets dumped into your intake causes lots of build up on the throttle body, intake manifold, intercooler, and valves. The catch can will separate any oil in the air and catch it in a can that you will have to empty periodically.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok so we have to check that every how many km or miles?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok so we have to check that every how many km or miles?
After the first month, or two, and around that interval until you get a feel for how quickly it fills. That rate seems to vary widely based on reports folks have provided. In my case, I put a can on right after break-in, and it was nearly filled after a couple thousand miles.
If you want it straight @hfpdohc ... It's a worthwhile investment, with just a flat one-time cost, and the only risk is if you stop checking and emptying it. Familiarize yourself with blow-by in direct injection vehicles, and the additional detriment to those with turbo chargers. Unless cost is an issue, which is completely fine as it's an individual choice, I suspect you will come to your own understanding and choice after reading up on. I don't represent any company, nor am I compensated for my view. Cheers.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can report replacement hoses from Mishimoto have solved the odor issue.
I drained my can again now that the weather has been warmer, and the car has close to 7k miles on it. Majority oil, and not nearly as much volume as before!

Pirep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Yeah I bought Greenshield hose because TommiTurbo posted that originally he said he had good luck with it. So far so good with Greenshield for me as well. But I only have 50 miles on it so far. If it stays the way it is I'll leave it. I still need to install a valve I bought so I can drain easily into a cup.
Update: I installed my catch can about 6.4k miles with the new hose Mishimoto provided, I am at 9.4k miles now and there isn't any smell of fuel in the cabin from me driving my car. I checked the catch can and saw that there's barely any oil/fuel in it but you can clearly smell the gas in the can that got caught. which makes me wonder how people are getting massive amounts of oil/fuel in their catch can. I drive roughly about 100 miles a day and average 80mph on the highway so I'm not driving it as hard as other people but damn, I was expecting my catch can to be at least 1/4 full.

There is one problem I do have, and that's the condenser plate rattling on the inside of the catch can causing an annoying rattling noise every time I put my foot on the gas. I don't know if anyone else has this problem or if they have a fix but it's really annoying. The condenser plate just freely moves a full 360 degrees and I can't seem to tighten it to stay in one place.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: I installed my catch can about 6.4k miles with the new hose Mishimoto provided, I am at 9.4k miles now and there isn't any smell of fuel in the cabin from me driving my car. I checked the catch can and saw that there's barely any oil/fuel in it but you can clearly smell the gas in the can that got caught. which makes me wonder how people are getting massive amounts of oil/fuel in their catch can. I drive roughly about 100 miles a day and average 80mph on the highway so I'm not driving it as hard as other people but damn, I was expecting my catch can to be at least 1/4 full.

There is one problem I do have, and that's the condenser plate rattling on the inside of the catch can causing an annoying rattling noise every time I put my foot on the gas. I don't know if anyone else has this problem or if they have a fix but it's really annoying. The condenser plate just freely moves a full 360 degrees and I can't seem to tighten it to stay in one place.
That little disc of crushed brass beads? If that is free floating, that's what causes rattling. I contacted Mishimoto, got a replacement, and no more rattling unless I'm really hard into the throttle a little under 3k rpm.
As for volume, I think winter fuel and colder temps contributed to my house volume. It was.probably condensed water. I think, with DI, there will always be a strong smell of gas in the can, but mine seems to have normalized to catching mostly oil as you would expect.

Pirep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
That little disc of crushed brass beads? If that is free floating, that's what causes rattling. I contacted Mishimoto, got a replacement, and no more rattling unless I'm really hard into the throttle a little under 3k rpm.
As for volume, I think winter fuel and colder temps contributed to my house volume. It was.probably condensed water. I think, with DI, there will always be a strong smell of gas in the can, but mine seems to have normalized to catching mostly oil as you would expect.
I might be wrong but I don't think it's the brass filter rattling. The circular plate with the holes under the brass filter is what I'm guessing is causing my rattle problems. I checked the brass filter with the little beads to see if it was secure and sure enough it's in there tight. I'll go ahead and email Mishimoto and ask for a replacement of that part to see if it fixes it. The rattling started appearing about 1k miles after I put the catch can in. I pulled the catch can recently and put it back to stock to see what exactly was causing the rattle issue and from my conclusion it is indeed the catch can.

I live in Florida so I'm definitely not getting the condensed water but it's good to know that my catch can won't fill up much so I'll probably check it in the next 5k miles.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

Yeah I'm in cold weather here in NJ. That is what accounts for the higher amounts of condensed water vapor that condenses in the ice cold catch can. Thanks for the update of the hose. I will stay with my Greenshield hoses for now since I know it works. The rattling is usually the brass screen. What I did was hit it with a flat head screw driver (lightly)! perpendicular to the edge of the brass edge so it squeezes down on the brass screen under the edge. I did it in 4 places. Also might be the plate as well. Is the rubber O-ring still installed between the Circlip and plate?

Pirep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Yeah I'm in cold weather here in NJ. That is what accounts for the higher amounts of condensed water vapor that condenses in the ice cold catch can. Thanks for the update of the hose. I will stay with my Greenshield hoses for now since I know it works. The rattling is usually the brass screen. What I did was hit it with a flat head screw driver (lightly)! perpendicular to the edge of the brass edge so it squeezes down on the brass screen under the edge. I did it in 4 places. Also might be the plate as well. Is the rubber O-ring still installed between the Circlip and plate?
I've went ahead and sent an email to Mishimoto about the issue. Thanks for adding to helping me. I just checked the rubber o-ring is indeed still there and made sure the bracket that keeps the catch can attached to the firewall is secured as well.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I might be wrong but I don't think it's the brass filter rattling. The circular plate with the holes under the brass filter is what I'm guessing is causing my rattle problems. I checked the brass filter with the little beads to see if it was secure and sure enough it's in there tight. I'll go ahead and email Mishimoto and ask for a replacement of that part to see if it fixes it. The rattling started appearing about 1k miles after I put the catch can in. I pulled the catch can recently and put it back to stock to see what exactly was causing the rattle issue and from my conclusion it is indeed the catch can.

I live in Florida so I'm definitely not getting the condensed water but it's good to know that my catch can won't fill up much so I'll probably check it in the next 5k miles.
Tap the filter. It doesn't matter if it's secure. If you tap it and it moves and makes a noise it's that part. Same thing happened to me

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:agree:

It's a bummer you have to remove the the whole can to get the brass screen off though... I torqued it enough the first install that the little black washers on the mounting screws deformed. Not much of problem when I reinstalled with the replacement screen, but it could be for others.
If you must take the whole can off to replace the brass screen, and you currently smell gas inside the car, do yourself a favor and tighten up threaded dose connectors more. Yes, they will not tighten far enough to become flush with the housing, but don't be afraid to tighten them until they actually stop. That mostly resolved my gas smells.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Very nice! Looks good tommiturbo and no gas smell! I'm glad my posts helped someone. Sorry I gave you the wrong length of hose to get. I just didn't really measure it. I am sure I will use the extra for a drain hose or something somewhere. Lol. Oh and the smell will not return!! Lol
Get write up. Just installed my and bought the same size from auto zone.
Sponsored