Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Thanks or putting this together! I have a Mishimoto can. I attribute the volume to the temperature difference. It's been a warm winter in my area. Every other refill i also put in seafoam, but I don't know how that would contribute to the volume. It's also been wet.
Pretty sure i read in handbook that it states do not put any fuel cleaners or carbon cleaners in turbo/direct inject engines.. in normal engines its fine though.
Sponsored

FineBottledWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty sure i read in handbook that it states do not put any fuel cleaners or carbon cleaners in turbo/direct inject engines.. in normal engines its fine though.
Can someone confirm this? I have a box of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaners in my garage. Would it be ok to use with Civic's 1.5 Turbo? If yes, when should I start using it.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It won't help on DI For the gasoline and injector cleaner will not come in contact with the backside of the intake valves which is where this is an issue with DI. Having the catch can helps this carbon buildup at bay on backside of intake valves. How much it helps who knows but I know it can't hurt. I use Amsoils Pi injector cleaner once after an oil change and that's it just to clean system and if it helps the injectors or not who knows. Lol. But I don't do it regularly just once a year after my oil changes.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Farcry1010 Thank you for the pics and write up on this 'gas' smell with the Mishimoto oil catch can. I've had my Touring for 2 weeks now and put the catch can on at about 120 miles. A few days after the install I was backing my car into my garage and I noticed a strong smell of 'gas'. I thought this was odd but payed it not as much attention as I should have. The next evening I repeated the same procedure and I noticed the same thing. Odd I thought for a new car to smell of 'gas' like this. Other than the LED fog lights I hadn't changed anything on the vehicle excepting the Mishimoto oil catch can. Duh, it recirculates the PCV gasses and those would smell like 'gas' or combusted petroleum distillates of some sort. Sure enough my daughter comes home from work that evening and says, "what smells like gas in the garage?" I thought...MY NEW CAR! The hoses and fittings WILL be changed out this weekend for sure. Farcry1010 how much hose did you buy (length) if you recall? I've not measured them and can but if you recall that would be helpful.

Again thank you for posting the pics and I will say that i thought is was kinda cheap of Mishimoto to have such a high quality product with plastic fittings. I get it that they blend better with the black colored catch can than a yellow brass fitting but are worse things in life. As for the hoses weeping the fuel smell...that is UNCONSCIONABLE for a $180 item such as this catch can. I get it that they wholesale it at probably $110 or less and their mfg costs are 60%-70% or so of that $110, but if they ditched the silicone hoses and went with just regular fuel lines the look would be more OEM and 100% more functional without the gas smell. I got a deal on the catch can because it came with red hoses. I could have cared less but I was being anal about having black hoses that 'matched' the other hoses. I contacted Mishimoto about buying the black hoses. They wanted $20 for the hoses and $15 shipping. I thought for $35 I'll stick with the red ones. MAN AM I GLAD THEY WANTED TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THAT CONVERSION!!! $35 and the 'gas' smell would still be an issue. NO THANK YOU Mishimoto!!! I'll fix your product for $10 and forget that it even happened. It would also be nice if Mishimoto would own up to it. We can't be the first people to have this issue. After all, they sell these catch can for Mustangs, Camaros, etc; Honda Civic's can't be the only engines to be stinking up their Mishimoto oil catch can hoses can they?

Thanks again Farcry1010!!!
Actually believe it or not I think the fuel hose is starting to seep the smell now. I have no idea what hoses to buy now. I was looking at the stamp on he stock hoses and they say EPDM so I might be looking to buy that type hose material. The fuel hose definitely lasted longer than Mishimotos. About 2,000 miles. But I wanna be done with this once and for all. I hope you got better fuel hose than I did!

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Actually believe it or not I think the fuel hose is starting to seep the smell now. I have no idea what hoses to buy now. I was looking at the stamp on he stock hoses and they say EPDM so I might be looking to buy that type hose material. The fuel hose definitely lasted longer than Mishimotos. About 2,000 miles. But I wanna be done with this once and for all. I hope you got better fuel hose than I did!
Well you're not going to believe this but I went into O'Reilly Auto Parts Saturday evening and was going to purchase the brass barbed fittings for the catch can. I saw a notification that you'd posted on this and I'm again getting the smell again at 500 miles or so. Well after talking to the guy at the counter (older guy that seemed to know what he was talking about) I told him of my fuel smell issue, he suggested that I use fuel injection hose. So I did, but only time will tell if this works. I will say this, this stuff is expensive ($5/ft) but you only need 2' for the job. I got the Gates 4219BF Barricade hose (PFD is here) and it is totally different from the fuel line that I had on it. It is A LOT stiffer and there is a waxy feel to it. According to the PDF this should do the trick: "Designed to exceed sae J30r14 Barricade™ greenshield™ fuel hose outperforms the new, low permeation requirements, including the California Air Resources Board (CARB) specification, which is now widely used as reference point worldwide." I figure if it exceeds CARB standards then it shouldn't smell. Can you imagine if fuel hoses smelled in California, there'd be WW3 over that!!!

Also, I dug out my OEM vent hose and smelled the OD and it didn't smell at all. Then I smelled the open end and it smelled VERY strongly of the all too familiar 'fuel smell'. I'm hoping that this Gates 4219BF hose does the trick!

Here's an AC Delco video link that bolsters this chioce of fuel line.

Here's a picture of the hose.
Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? fuel injection hose

Hope this info helps...I hope it works as this fuel smell thing is getting REALLY old REALLY quick!

Last edited:

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well you're not going to believe this but I went into O'Reilly Auto Parts Saturday evening and was going to purchase the brass barbed fittings for the catch can. I saw a notification that you'd posted on this and I'm again getting the smell again at 500 miles or so. Well after talking to the guy at the counter (older guy that seemed to know what he was talking about) I told him of my fuel smell issue, he suggested that I use fuel injection hose. So I did, but only time will tell if this works. I will say this, this stuff is expensive ($5/ft) but you only need 2' for the job. I got the Gates 4219BF Barricade hose (PFD is here) and it is totally different from the fuel line that I had on it. It is A LOT stiffer and there is a waxy feel to it. According to the PDF this should do the trick: "Designed to exceed sae J30r14 Barricade™ greenshield™ fuel hose outperforms the new, low permeation requirements, including the California Air Resources Board (CARB) specification, which is now widely used as reference point worldwide." I figure if it exceeds CARB standards then it shouldn't smell. Can you imagine if fuel hoses smelled in California, there'd be WW3 over that!!!

Also, I dug out my OEM vent hose and smelled the OD and it didn't smell at all. Then I smelled the open end and it smelled VERY strongly of the all too familiar 'fuel smell'. I'm hoping that this Gates 4219BF hose does the trick!

fuel injection hose.jpg

Hope this info helps...I hope it works as this fuel smell thing is getting REALLY old REALLY quick!
Absolutely it helps!! Now I am reciprocating my thanks to you!!! For this post. I am going tomorrow to get it!!!!

OP
OP
sparky6713

sparky6713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
Ok , so if you live in cold climate area like I do now. You will need to check it often. Last time I checked it was Dec 7 and now 47 days later it's 3/4 full !

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? IMG_1403.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? IMG_1405.PNG

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ok , so if you live in cold climate area like I do now. You will need to check it often. Last time I checked it was Dec 7 and now 47 days later it's 3/4 full !

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1405.PNG
Yup. That's what I try telling people. I love how they say there is something definitely wrong with my car! Hahahaha. I am ok with it I guess. Just have to check it more often on those cold months here in NJ.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1405.PNG
Wow!! So it's like mainly gas you think? @Design do you think it's okay if we ingest this stuff with no can?

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

fuel injection hose.jpg

Ok. Installed!!! 'Once again for the 6th time!!!'

Greenshield and CARB certified now! Thanks for post. Let's see if it works. And I couldn't find it at all by me. I paid $15.00 for two feet. And that length is perfect!!!
I smelled the outside of the 'fuel hose' I had on and yes reaked of the oil smell again!
Now I'm up to another $50.00 on top of the price of Mishimoto Catch can doing their job by doing their R&D.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? IMG_1126.JPG

Last edited:

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow!! So it's like mainly gas you think? @Design do you think it's okay if we ingest this stuff with no can?
no. It's just mainly water for me now because I'm in NJ and it's very cold here now. But when it warms up I'm expecting just oil vapors that condensate on the metal plate in can.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
no. It's just mainly water for me now because I'm in NJ and it's very cold here now. But when it warms up I'm expecting just oil vapors that condensate on the metal plate in can.
Hmmmmm, my piston tops are probably nice and clean from the Shell 91 and -10 temps as of late then :rolleyes:
Sponsored