Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ?

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Believe it or not I think I'm still getting a hint of gas smell in the cabin. I didn't change the fittings like you did but I think I'm going to do that soon because of this lingering smell. It's no where near what it was when the Mishimoto hoses were on it. To be honest, after taking the hoses of with my bare hands when I changed it, it took hours for the smell to wear off my hands simply from handling them. I gladly chucked them in the trash. Mishimoto should be ashamed to sell these catch cans with these silicone hoses. Sure they look cool (maybe if that's your thing) but they smell to high heaven.

As for the fog lights, I was completely aware of the yellow verses white when I made the change. I will say that the increased localized illumination near the front and sides of the car are more than worth not using them as fog lights. This car with the Diode Dynamics fog lights is the best illuminated vehicle I've ever driven, bar none!
Yeah. I know. Sometimes it's the smell that's stuck in our nose and seems to never go away. And yes. The hoses are sticky and will make your hands smell. Also like I said in earlier posts. That smell gets stuck in the car too. Ugh. I had to fix that asap. I actually put the stock hose back on quick for awhile when Mishimoto was changing my hoses for the third time. But make sure you stick your head in the engine bay and put your nose right on the fittings and all connections where the clamps are and do this with car running (tie back hair and no loose clothing please lol) you should narrow it down. I saw those plastic connectors and there so thin and cheap that's why I did the brass plus they were a bit deformed when I removed them. Make sure to spin that can tight all the way up over the o-ring, I lube the o-ring up good w oil before spinning can back on snug.

Do you have pics of your fogs on car so I can see?
Sponsored

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I just took this but I'll see if I can get a better one with more ambient light. They match spot on and the images from Diode Dynamics sealed it for me. I can truly say that these LED fogs have helped me see deer in areas that are not illuminated by the regular headlights and the way the LEDs light everything up so brilliantly (road signs, reflective vests of garbage truck drivers, animal eyes...you know) they cannot be beat. They are bright but not anywhere the chuckleheads around here with 2000 F-150 Diesels that put HIDs in non-HID housings. TALK ABOUT BRIGHT. I've been brighted a few times but once I flash them my brights its pretty clear that I had my dims on. I had one time where I flashed the car back and I could see thier faces in the front seat. I snickered a tad bit. My wife and son love the light these things put out. My only regret is that I didn't wait till Black Friday to purchase them. Diode Dynamics had a 20% off sale on anything in their store and that would made them $96 instead of $120. They were $125 to my door. There is a fan on these but they are SO BRIGHT that I'm sure they need the fan in the summer to cool them.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? CivicXTouringwLEDfogs

Here's a link to them: https://goo.gl/7T33Ez 6000K is the temperature that matches the OEM Touring headlights.

There is a series of comparison photos that I found on the Diode Dynamics website but I cannot locate it at this time. As I recall I had a tough time finding it (it's buried somewhere). They really should make it easier to find because it was an excellent series of photos that are true to life. When I saw that it made my decision 100% for me. I can say that I'm not a Diode Dynamics fanboy but these are UNREAL bright - buy em and you won't regret it - at least I haven't. Here's a youtube vid that gives a flavor of those series of pics I can't find on Diode Dynamics website:

Cheers...

Last edited:

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just took this but I'll see if I can get a better one with more ambient light. They match spot on and the images from Diode Dynamics sealed it for me. I can truly say that these LED fogs have helped me see deer in areas that are not illuminated by the regular headlights and the way the LEDs light everything up so brilliantly (road signs, reflective vests of garbage truck drivers, animal eyes...you know) they cannot be beat. They are bright but not anywhere the chuckleheads around here with 2000 F-150 Diesels that put HIDs in non-HID housings. TALK ABOUT BRIGHT. I've been brighted a few times but once I flash them my brights its pretty clear that I had my dims on. I had one time where I flashed the car back and I could see thier faces in the front seat. I snickered a tad bit. My wife and son love the light these things put out. My only regret is that I didn't wait till Black Friday to purchase them. Diode Dynamics had a 20% off sale on anything in their store and that would made them $96 instead of $120. They were $125 to my door. There is a fan on these but they are SO BRIGHT that I'm sure they need the fan in the summer to cool them.

CivicXTouringwLEDfogs.jpg

Here's a link to them: https://goo.gl/7T33Ez 6000K is the temperature that matches the OEM Touring headlights.

There is a series of comparison photos that I found on the Diode Dynamics website but I cannot locate it at this time. As I recall I had a tough time finding it (it's buried somewhere). They really should make it easier to find because it was an excellent series of photos that are true to life. When I saw that it made my decision 100% for me. I can say that I'm not a Diode Dynamics fanboy but these are UNREAL bright - buy em and you won't regret it - at least I haven't. Here's a youtube vid that gives a flavor of those series of pics I can't find on Diode Dynamics website:

Cheers...
Thanks for the link. Now I suppose you bought the XML2? At 6K?
Also I want to state I checked my catch can today which is 1,700 miles since install and I must say it was full!!! I didn't expect that at all. So I guess me dumping it only when I do my oil changes will not suffice. I'll include a pic. But thanks for the link on those fogs. I have a question in those lights. Do you hear the fans at all? Maybe when just parked or something?

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? IMG_1017.JPG

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...Now I suppose you bought the XML2? At 6K?...I have a question in those lights. Do you hear the fans at all? Maybe when just parked or something?
Yes I've got the XML2s in the 6K temp - they are indistinguishable from the Tourings LED headlights. You hear the fans when parked and everything is quiet without the motor running. Its not a high pitched sound maybe like a medium pitched fan noise. You can ever so slightly hear them when the motor is running BUT you have to be tuned into the fan noise's frequency and sound to pick it out. I don't find it objectionable some may find it so. We were coming back home last evening and there were several deer on both sides of the road but off maybe 100' or so from the road. Had the fog lights on (it was slightly foggy - and these worked great) but if I'd have had my high beams on I wouldn't have seen them as the high beam pattern is more narrow and long throw obviously. As deer do, they stared at headlights and their retinas glowed like little jewels. I honked my wimpy horn (that's getting changed to these this spring) and they ran away from the roadway.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Thanks for the link. Now I suppose you bought the XML2? At 6K?
Also I want to state I checked my catch can today which is 1,700 miles since install and I must say it was full!!! I didn't expect that at all. So I guess me dumping it only when I do my oil changes will not suffice. I'll include a pic. But thanks for the link on those fogs. I have a question in those lights. Do you hear the fans at all? Maybe when just parked or something?

IMG_1017.JPG
I honestly think there is something wrong with your car.. I have an ext and after 5k miles there is just a tad bit of oil, just enough you can swirl around no where as much as you. Also it's just pure black oil not like your color..

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Obviously no matter the location, a catch can is a good investment on one of these cars just by looking at what could have gone back through the intake. Mine will be going on in spring time when I start driving it again, only has 850 miles, and will be out installed with rean AN fittings and real SS braided fuel line.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
You two are both living in a very different climate. Freezing in NJ, cool in Texas...
More like super hot in texas i hate the weather here ): good point though!
Would cold weather cause gas in a catch can though?

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously no matter the location, a catch can is a good investment on one of these cars just by looking at what could have gone back through the intake. Mine will be going on in spring time when I start driving it again, only has 850 miles, and will be out installed with rean AN fittings and real SS braided fuel line.
Can you elaborate on the details of the AN fittings and adapters needed for this application sounds like a great idea.

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
More like super hot in texas i hate the weather here ): good point though!
Would cold weather cause gas in a catch can though?
The fuel in the catch can is a misnomer, it's actually a mix of oil (which smells of combustion gases - fuel smell) and condensation. I've had nothing but this oily watery combo since new (I'm now @ 1800 miles). Can't wait to see if the springtime brings better catch can results like those of our Civic brethren in the southern climates...oh and the absence of winter blends of gasoline that yield lesser MPG because of the increased presence of methanol in winter blends.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Can you elaborate on the details of the AN fittings and adapters needed for this application sounds like a great idea.
I'll post pictures when installed, but it's what you would use on a race car fuel system or oiling system, usually red and blue ends but I got black, all aluminium fittings.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I honestly think there is something wrong with your car.. I have an ext and after 5k miles there is just a tad bit of oil, just enough you can swirl around no where as much as you. Also it's just pure black oil not like your color..
Yeah but where do you live? I live in cold climate so a cold can with warm hot vapors will condense water so if you live in a warm climate that is the reason. Do you live in a warm or cold climate?
Maybe I'll invent a catch can warmer! Lol so people in cold climates will not have to empty catch cans so often.

Last edited:

FineBottledWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? Civicx - 1-18-17 Oil Catch Can update 1

This is the best that I can gather so far based on the information provided in the posts. I made a few assumptions such as location of the users, no information on the size of the cans, and the mean temp of the day of the post.

Update:
  1. 1-18-17: IronFusion's Catch can: Mishimoto

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
View attachment 25713

This is the best that I can gather so far based on the information provided in the posts. I made a few assumptions such as location of the users, no information on the size of the cans, and the mean temp of the day of the post.
Thanks or putting this together! I have a Mishimoto can. I attribute the volume to the temperature difference. It's been a warm winter in my area. Every other refill i also put in seafoam, but I don't know how that would contribute to the volume. It's also been wet.
Sponsored