Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ?

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I have the red hoses and the fuel smell too. Going to replace them. Pisses me off that we pay that much for the kit and they give us crap hoses.
Just got back from a 120mile trip and I replaced the lines yesterday and no smell. You only need to purchase 2' to replace these hoses.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? 20161228_170227
Sponsored

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just got back from a 120mile trip and I replaced the lines yesterday and no smell. You only need to purchase 2' to replace these hoses.

20161228_170227.jpg
Very nice! Looks good tommiturbo and no gas smell! I'm glad my posts helped someone. Sorry I gave you the wrong length of hose to get. I just didn't really measure it. I am sure I will use the extra for a drain hose or something somewhere. Lol. Oh and the smell will not return!! Lol

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very nice! Looks good tommiturbo and no gas smell! I'm glad my posts helped someone. Sorry I gave you the wrong length of hose to get. I just didn't really measure it. I am sure I will use the extra for a drain hose or something somewhere. Lol. Oh and the smell will not return!! Lol
Actually I measured the hoses with a small flexible tape measure and came up with 25". I was off by 1" plus in my measurements but better safe than sorry (it was only $1.79/ft at Autozone). One thing to be sure of is that the smell is gone and it really looks like it was an OEM install other than the clamps that I reused. If I'd have gotten the spring type clamps then it would have a 100% OEM look. I thought I'd like the red colored hoses but I thought they looked to boy racer.

Your right about using the extra as a drain hose as this is my next step. I'll just get a 3/8" pipe thread barbed hose fitting and install a petcock and voila...EZ Drain. Thanks SO MUCH Farcry1010 for the heads up on changing the hoses. I couldn't get the smell of fuel off of my hands for 2 hrs after changing the hoses, that silicone holds that smell terribly. I want $6 from Mishimoto for parts and I let the $20 labor ride for the 20 minutes it took me. Probably the best 20 minutes I've spent on my 17 Touring other than the Diode Dynamics fog lights. BTW those babies are AWESOME (got the ones with the fan - they are the brightest).

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My catch can was 2/3 to 3/4 full after around 1200-1400mi on my new EX-L Coupe. I put it on at a but under 1000k. Seemed to me like it was mostly water. I think the position of the can gives it a good temperature differential to the exhaust vapours, and that is why so much water condenses. I have a gas smell, but it's nit horrible enough for me yet to warrant going out and buying hoses to replace the should-be 'premium' ones that were part of my purchase of the catch can kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in my oil catch can , WTF ? WP_20170110_18_43_37_Rich_LI

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
What is the risk if the catch can get full and you keep driving? 1400mi, wow that's fast!

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Catch can is a dumb idea IMHO. Another unneeded maintenance item to worry about. What possible harm can that miniscule amount of oil cause ? If it was really important or significant, it would be included in the design. No ?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Catch can is a dumb idea IMHO. Another unneeded maintenance item to worry about. What possible harm can that miniscule amount of oil cause ? If it was really important or significant, it would be included in the design. No ?
How is it dumb if it caught that much shit? I wouldn't want all that going by my valves on a direct injection engine, even though I'm not running a catch can.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
It's a matter of degree. It's got to be : oil, gas, water ( and / or ), and in that amount will be of no consequence.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the risk if the catch can get full and you keep driving? 1400mi, wow that's fast!
the stream of exhaust returning to the intake vacuums the liquid with it, which could siphon, and all that stuff get inhaled by the engine in a much shorter time than that of the 1400k mi to catch it all. Could probably still out the engine or throw a code for emissions or something else.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
It's not required. But it certainly helps a bunch, specially with a car that has a turbo on it.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Actually I measured the hoses with a small flexible tape measure and came up with 25". I was off by 1" plus in my measurements but better safe than sorry (it was only $1.79/ft at Autozone). One thing to be sure of is that the smell is gone and it really looks like it was an OEM install other than the clamps that I reused. If I'd have gotten the spring type clamps then it would have a 100% OEM look. I thought I'd like the red colored hoses but I thought they looked to boy racer.

Your right about using the extra as a drain hose as this is my next step. I'll just get a 3/8" pipe thread barbed hose fitting and install a petcock and voila...EZ Drain. Thanks SO MUCH Farcry1010 for the heads up on changing the hoses. I couldn't get the smell of fuel off of my hands for 2 hrs after changing the hoses, that silicone holds that smell terribly. I want $6 from Mishimoto for parts and I let the $20 labor ride for the 20 minutes it took me. Probably the best 20 minutes I've spent on my 17 Touring other than the Diode Dynamics fog lights. BTW those babies are AWESOME (got the ones with the fan - they are the brightest).
I'll check out those Diode Dynamics fog lights. I'm all for uniformity when it comes to matching the fogs to my LED headlights on my touring but science states that a more yellow light on the spectrum breaks through fog better. So I'm more for function than looks as my eyes are not what they used to be. So having a white fog light reflect the white light from the fog back into my eyes I can live without. But just checking back. Any gas smells as of yet. I'm still good with mine.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Weren't we all suspecting of andromeda to be steve lol - the evidence is mounting...lol.

Anyway @IronFusion - I emptied my can out at around 9000km, and it just looked like black used oil. Maybe make sure that all your hoses and the can itself are clamped tight.

I found that the can itself has an o-ring that makes it a tad hard to screw on tightly towards the end, maybe moisture is getting in this way.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Weren't we all suspecting of andromeda to be steve lol - the evidence is mounting...lol.

Anyway @IronFusion - I emptied my can out at around 9000km, and it just looked like black used oil. Maybe make sure that all your hoses and the can itself are clamped tight.

I found that the can itself has an o-ring that makes it a tad hard to screw on tightly towards the end, maybe moisture is getting in this way.
Ya that's definitely Steve eh? Same language style and cars lol.

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll check out those Diode Dynamics fog lights. I'm all for uniformity when it comes to matching the fogs to my LED headlights on my touring but science states that a more yellow light on the spectrum breaks through fog better. So I'm more for function than looks as my eyes are not what they used to be. So having a white fog light reflect the white light from the fog back into my eyes I can live without. But just checking back. Any gas smells as of yet. I'm still good with mine.
Believe it or not I think I'm still getting a hint of gas smell in the cabin. I didn't change the fittings like you did but I think I'm going to do that soon because of this lingering smell. It's no where near what it was when the Mishimoto hoses were on it. To be honest, after taking the hoses of with my bare hands when I changed it, it took hours for the smell to wear off my hands simply from handling them. I gladly chucked them in the trash. Mishimoto should be ashamed to sell these catch cans with these silicone hoses. Sure they look cool (maybe if that's your thing) but they smell to high heaven.

As for the fog lights, I was completely aware of the yellow verses white when I made the change. I will say that the increased localized illumination near the front and sides of the car are more than worth not using them as fog lights. This car with the Diode Dynamics fog lights is the best illuminated vehicle I've ever driven, bar none!
Sponsored