Future Availability of Type R

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Should I say this again? While people have been waiting on Honda to bring them performance in factory form, all of the other manufactures have scooped those buyers up. Outside of that, look at the statistics between the age of buyers and people who plan to buy one within the amount of people polled. As has been mentioned, the majority of the R buyers are either posting on this forum or lurking in some capacity. Honda-tech is dead and I think most R forum-goers are on this forum.

The buyer for the R is between the ages of 31-35 and 41 and older. These are the people who in 1998-2003 were bolting on el welded manifolds to their D series engines, using mitsu injectors, and boosting with turbos off of dodge trucks. Intercoolers came from SS Auto Chrome on eBay, half of which failed in the first 6 months or couldn't keep a coupler mated to them, and the tune came from an open source program with a chip burner that you had to carry with you when you went tuning. Suspensions consisted of Tokiko shocks and ground control coil-overs and tires and brakes were a complete afterthought. *some on here will laugh at this and some won't have any clue as to what I am talking about*

The group that is 41 and older are the same people from the 98-03 era but had a little more skin in the game and were the ones who went to full-race, etc to get product.

These people are finally getting the Honda they have always wanted.

While there will certainly be hot areas of buyers for the R (So.Cal, Miami, GA, New Jersey, etc) Honda has a very uphill battle ahead of them bringing performance back to their brand.

I am skeptical that the R will be difficult to get.
And then I'm in the 25-30 group that saw 90% of the hardcore guys move away from the Honda game because the 16-24 year age group has destroyed the scene and I'm sure many other would agree. Lots of 26-30 year olds in there too, instragram stance scene shyt. I am one of the few who have stuck with Hondas through the last 10 years or so of hard times with Honda, not falling into the stance scene and staying true to Hondas racing roots. They are finally back to me with the 10th gen.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas civics, accords, pilots
And then I'm in the 25-30 group that saw 90% of the hardcore guys move away from the Honda game because the 16-24 year age group has destroyed the scene and I'm sure many other would agree. Lots of 26-30 year olds in there too, instragram stance scene shyt. I am one of the few who have stuck with Hondas through the last 10 years or so of hard times with Honda, not falling into the stance scene and staying true to Hondas racing roots. They are finally back to me with the 10th gen.
Spot on. Those guys that moved away from Honda were tired of getting spanked by the competition and Honda didn't do anything about loosing customers until now. I think it's a little too late for Honda now to get those customers back. People are on to AWD and more hp which were many Honda fans biggest complaints. Unless the after market scene and tune turns this CTR to compete with the competition, then customers will continue to stay away. I'm hoping for the best for the CTR because I would like to have one in my garage.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Spot on. Those guys that moved away from Honda were tired of getting spanked by the competition and Honda didn't do anything about loosing customers until now. I think it's a little too late for Honda now to get those customers back. People are on to AWD and more hp which were many Honda fans biggest complaints. Unless the after market scene and tune turns this CTR to compete with the competition, then customers will continue to stay away. I'm hoping for the best for the CTR because I would like to have one in my garage.
But the hardest core Honda guys are still here. Which counts for us and we don't care. Haters will always hate. That's why we love Honda too, the underdog.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas civics, accords, pilots
But the hardest core Honda guys are still here. Which counts for us and we don't care. Haters will always hate. That's why we love Honda too, the underdog.
Of course. I'd rather have piece of mind with a little less performance with a Honda than go with any other company.

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
That's what happen to me, got freaking tried of waiting for Honda to bring the Type R or a great SI over the years ( over 25 ). Hopefully this time will be my last car I would buy new till I'm gone.....to driver's heaven!

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
lol... 99-04 era was a great era for young tuners! Especially in metro Detroit! You could buy a stolen D or B series for next to nothing (sub $200) and have it stolen back by the end of the night :)

14 second 1/4 was enjoyable speeds and cops just laughed as you peeled out with one wheel spin... gotta remember back then they were chasing people down with Magnums and Durangos lol

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Lol thanks for the history lesson. I think we all know that there are Honda fans that have been waiting for this. And the ones you mention that have moved on to other companies, what makes you think that they will come back? What about the ones that just out grew the ricer stage in their life and this car is just impractical for those people now. Um just saying that, maybe the demand is not what people are trying to make it seem like.
yes, I said this...agreeing with you.

Should I say this again? While people have been waiting on Honda to bring them performance in factory form, all of the other manufactures have scooped those buyers up.
The demand will be there but I do not think the R will be difficult to get, either.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I am one of the few who have stuck with Hondas through the last 10 years or so of hard times with Honda, not falling into the stance scene and staying true to Hondas racing roots. They are finally back to me with the 10th gen.
There aren't many of us left.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
This thing is gonna be more rare than Bigfoot and possibly even Nessie the Loch Ness monster or even an albino Unicorn...

Facts

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
lol... 99-04 era was a great era for young tuners! Especially in metro Detroit! You could buy a stolen D or B series for next to nothing (sub $200) and have it stolen back by the end of the night :)
lol they made a fortune on the same engine over and over again

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I told you guys, a baby monitor lol. 2 way audio so you can speak to your thief, with a one way camera, has an app for your phone, you can use your wifi if it's your driveway, and most importantly if you live on a quiet street and someone touches your car, it will sound like they dropped a pan on your kitchen floor. Anyone that has had a baby knows what I'm talking about.