Fuel to the Fire: 1.5T in 10G Accord Gets VTEC

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Today is the press drive event for the 10G Accord, and during the presentation Honda announced that both the 2.0T and 1.5T will have exhaust-side VTEC. So not only is there a 2.0T engine that could have gone into the Si, there is a better 1.5T as well. Feels like Honda shortchanged us twice. I still like the Si even with the L15, but can't help but feel betrayed as an enthusiast yet again.

Now I'm definitely waiting until November when the 10G Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT arrives to make any purchasing decisions. I may still end up with the Si, but that package sounds too good to pass up.
Sponsored

Honda2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm still pleased with my Si purchase, I figured it's the last coupe I'll have for a while. In 5 years I'll have to switch back to a sedan when my little guy ain't so little to spring into the back seat. Plus, coming from an '07 Fit for over 11 years, this car feels like a damn rocket.

OP
OP

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are we getting more info on the accords today? When are they hitting dealers?
Much more info today from people at the drive event. Tech features, weight (Sport 2.0T 6MT is 3,298lbs, for instance), etc. Specific dates are October 18 for the 1.5T, November 20 for the 2.0T.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Feels like Honda shortchanged us twice. [....] I may still end up with the Si, but that package sounds too good to pass up.
First, they need for Accord to have something to justify the higher prices and separate it from Civic into a "higher-level" trim.

Second, we don't know the size/weight difference. My guess is the Si will be noticeably lighter (which is my strong personal preference).

(Third, VTEC is not gonna make it any faster in [the beginning of] first gear... :))

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd be surprised if the Accord's 1.5T cracks 200 HP. The new Camry gets 203 on a relatively narrow torque band. I expect Honda will tune it around 195.

We should know in about two weeks. Regardless, the performance potential is there, with the turbo/clutch being the weakest link (presumably).

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Today is the press drive event for the 10G Accord, and during the presentation Honda announced that both the 2.0T and 1.5T will have exhaust-side VTEC. So not only is there a 2.0T engine that could have gone into the Si, there is a better 1.5T as well. Feels like Honda shortchanged us twice. I still like the Si even with the L15, but can't help but feel betrayed as an enthusiast yet again.

Now I'm definitely waiting until November when the 10G Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT arrives to make any purchasing decisions. I may still end up with the Si, but that package sounds too good to pass up.
I've always been hesitant when buying a first year redesign. I expect there will be issues with such a big change. Anyways I would certainly interested in the 2.0T stick as a SI replacement in a couple of years.

OP
OP

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota is really lagging on the switch-over to small displacement turbos. Really odd
There are people who are straight-up angry at Honda for switching. If you think people here seem annoyed at the 1.5 in the Si, you should see the vitriol about the Accord getting a 2.0T. Folks over on the Drive Accord boards saying they're jumping ship for a Camry just because it has a V6. Some have put their money where their mouth is.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Toyota is really lagging on the switch-over to small displacement turbos. Really odd
Like Honda, they can afford to take more time with the transition to ensure they get Turbo DI right. I'd expect them to migrate within the next 3-5 years.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love how everyone keeps saying "It doesn't have VTEC? I don't want it!" VTEC is a 30 year old technology. At some point something is going to replace it and be better at the same time. Most people never even get into VTEC on cars that have it, in daily driving.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They don't understand that V6's are going away more and more every year. It's the way of the new world.

Toyota can keep their old V6's and old technology because they are light years behind everyone else.
Look at Ford. It costs too much to produce V6's when they have 4's that are producing more power and better mileage so they discontinued them. People are ignorant these days thinking that old tech is still better.
Sponsored