Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it?

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
They finally admit it! I've been having this problem since purchasing the car in 12/2015. Seems like it goes away for most people, but not for my car.
I've been to the dealer twice and brought their attention to the issue, hopefully there will be a fix eventually. And hopefully no residual damage to my paint from frequent fuel overflow

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it? IMG_6944.JPG
Sponsored

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Do pump nozzles vary slightly from brand to brand? I'm using a top-tier gas (BP) and make sure the nozzle is fully inserted -- no problem so far. Can you find a local station and specific pump that works correctly consistently? If this happened to me on a regular basis, I'd avoid filling up fully until Honda comes up with a fix -- bummer!

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
One of the cheapest gas stations in my city is less than a mile from my house, so 95% of my fillups are there at the same pump, and it overflows a little every single time if I leave the pump on automatic shutoff.

Fortunately it doesn't do it enough to get out onto my paint - just into the well, which has the little drain there so it drains out. Because of that, I don't sweat it too much, but I do sometimes take the pump off of automatic and slow the flow rate down when I think the tank is close to full, and then it doesn't happen.

Still, if they do release a fix for it, I think I'll go get mine fixed.

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have the same issue. When the pump shuts off, some spills out into the well. I clean it up with paper towels.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every single time, no matter what station. And I dont top it off. It shuts off, the fuel overflows down the paint. I wait more than 5 seconds and when I pull out the nozzle, it drips a little more. I love smelling like fuel after every single fill up

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
They finally admit it! I've been having this problem since purchasing the car in 12/2015. Seems like it goes away for most people, but not for my car.
I've been to the dealer twice and brought their attention to the issue, hopefully there will be a fix eventually. And hopefully no residual damage to my paint from frequent fuel overflow

IMG_6944.JPG
Your paint likely will not be damaged. Your charcoal canister on the other hand----
We all should expect a check engine light soon. My charcoal canister is full of fuel as I have over flowed proabay 20 times now. It got to the point where I placed a ear plug in the little hole.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just get a paper towel and put it in the well prior to fueling. I probably get a small overfill perhaps 10-15% of the time upon automatic pump shut off. I have not found an overfill connection between top tier name brand stations or other stations such as at Costco, grocery store stations, etc.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
I just get a paper towel and put it in the well prior to fueling. I probably get a small overfill perhaps 10-15% of the time upon automatic pump shut off. I have not found an overfill connection between top tier name brand stations or other stations such as at Costco, grocery store stations, etc.
Good idea.

I see no connection either. It's all random. Some pumps just seem to be better calibrated at shutting off. I wonder how Honda will addres this issue? My friend who drives a 2014 Mazda 6 had the same issue. Mazda performed a repair that kept his 6 from over filling but he's not sure what they did.

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
I can tell you the 17's are affected by this as well.

SFTOURING

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic Hybrid, 2006 CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can tell you the 17's are affected by this as well.

I found the same problem with mines too What I did was not rest the nossle inside but instead just hold the nossle up so it is not resting on anything while it is pumping the gas. When it stops, no gas leaks out. I've been doing this for a while now and so far so good.