Front end rattle, while hitting bumps.

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Got 1400 miles on my Si. Today I just noticed this front end noise while driving with the window down. This was in town at 30mph hitting the reflectors in the road. They were in groups of 3's, so you will hear that pattern.

I stopped and check my lug nuts and looked inside the wheel but could not see anything obvious. Was on my way to work so haven't had time to pull the wheel off and check anything. But I'll update.

My plan is to check the caliper and dust shield first and then look for anything else. Will also pull the bottom aluminum engine cover off to see if that is what it is.

Yall hear of this before?

Video, got some wind noise, but you can hear it.

Sponsored

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Probably heat shield? I get a metal ruler on the side of the table like vibrating sound when going over hard bumps. Can't figure out where it's coming from.

OP
OP

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
I did some looking and testing. Jacked up and beat on tire with dead blow. Could not replicate the sound. Took wheel off and checked everything, took heat shield off from below engine, found nothing.

Moved brake heat shield back even farther from rotor. That wasn’t the problem either.

Took caliper apart and greased. Still didn’t fix.

I checked everything I could. Several test drives and no improvement.

Finally thought about holding the brake while giving gas and driving over the reflectors. That narrowed it down to the brakes. I see nothing wrong with the brakes, but they are where the noise is coming from. If I load them up by braking while hitting bumps they can’t rattle and the sound goes away.

I have not taken to the dealer yet, but did speak to them. They have never heard of it being a problem. Also you don’t even have to have your window down. Just drive with music and AC off and you can hear it very good in the cabin.

Can you check yalls for the noise?

Soap

First Name
Soap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Have you been able to find the problem?

CLnet2014

Threads