CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Again Ford doing great things.

Within the time period of us waiting for the Civic Si (2 years and still waiting) Ford has already developed, tested, and debuted a 2018 Fiesta St with a brand new 3cyl 1.5L engine rated at 200hp 214tq.... Meanwhile Honda is still working on their 1.5L 4cyl for the Civic Si /facepalm.

There will never be a Honda competition for the Fiesta St from Honda because Honda cant put a 1.5T in their Fit, and if they do it wont be as potent as the Fiesta St engine due to having used a 1.5T in the Civic Si. If they used a 2.0T in the Civic Si a 1.5T fit can be easily done.

This little Fiesta St is going to give the new Si a run for its money performance wise too. Even though the Focus St is the Civic Si's competitor (But the Focus is out of the Civics league power wise).

Fiesta ST!

And again.... Compare this video to the Civic SI release video, where it was doing RWD burnouts.... Ford is making Honda look bad.
I couldn't have said it better.
Sponsored

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The reason they aren't losing sleep(or care about enthusiasts) is clear ;)

Sales(2016)
Civic 367K
Focus 169K

Focus sales were down 27% in Jan (9,600)

The Accord outsells the Fusion. The Fit outsells the Fiesta. The CRV outsells the Escape.

Last edited:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Gas mileage isn't to great because I'm always thrashing it around every time I drive it. I have a pretty heavy lead foot.

I think I average somewhere around 30mpg but I have winter tires on right now so they take it down a bit.

It also takes premium so there is that.

It gets much better than the F-150 tho...
Dealer just quoted me 379 per month, zero down and 12K per year for 36 months. ST with the Recaro Package :(

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I like Ford, and agree they have a great lineup for enthusiasts. If I had to replace my TSX today, I'd probably get a Focus ST. I've tested a few, and it's a fantastic driver's car with real personality. But, based on my experience with a 2010 Fusion, I would be concerned about reliability.

I got the Fusion in November 2015 from my dad, who bought it new in fall 2009. It had about 60,000 miles, and now has about 66,000. I bought my Acura new in fall 2009, and it now has about 106,000 miles.

In the 15 months I've owned the Fusion:

1. Both rear blinkers have burned out.
2. The climate control blower needed to be replaced.
3. The parking brake twice failed to release, burning out the rear brake the first time, which required replacement of both rear brakes. Apparently this is caused by water leaking into "boots" at the ends of the cable, and then freezing. My Ford dealer knew nothing about this phenomenon, but folks on Fusion forums do. My dad says this happened on one of his previous Fords.
4. A tire pressure monitor sensor failed.
5. It suffers from odd vibrations at some highway speeds, which were not cured by wheel balancing and alignment. My dad reported this, and said his dealer could never figure it out.

In the seven years and four months I've owned my TSX, other than normal wear like one brake replacement and front struts that succumbed to Philly potholes:

1. The AC needed to be recharged once.
2. A plastic trim piece near the moonroof control was vibrating, which was easily fixed.

Yeah, that's it.

I do think Fords have improved since 2010, and many of their recent problems relate to infotainment. They still have awful body panel fitment too. Even so, I'd have much more confidence in anything from Honda.

Back on topic, I'm very curious about this three-cylinder Fiesta ST. Can't wait to try it.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I wonder if the Ford fanboys are crying about the 3cyl 1.5/200hp engine like the Honda fanboys are crying about a 1.5 4cyl that Honda is producing.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Dealer just quoted me 379 per month, zero down and 12K per year for 36 months. ST with the Recaro Package :(
I got the base model, and it was a 2016 when they had 2017s coming out. So that doesn't seem to bad.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder if the Ford fanboys are crying about the 3cyl 1.5/200hp engine like the Honda fanboys are crying about a 1.5 4cyl that Honda is producing.
They are, I don't get it 1 cylinder less and same HP and more Torque, I'm sold.

But most of them were like how am I gonna put in a bigger turbo...

Last edited:

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
(or care about enthusiasts)
That word "enthusiasts" gets thrown around way too much these days. Kinda like the idiots that will put ape hangers on their motorcycle, and call them "choppers". Or the morons who will just remove the front fender, and all the sudden, they got a "bobber". Technically, you can be an "enthusiast" about anything, because all you have to be, is enthusiastic about it.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
Ford is destroying the performance i4 market right now. Why would anyone want be stay away from them?

In every segment of the sports compact market, they have a great option.

RWD? Ecoboost Mustang
AWD? Focus RS
Hot Hatch? Focus ST
Hot Hatch on a budget? Fiesta ST
Fun grocery getter? Ecoboost Focus or Fiesta + flash tune
Fun Family car? Fusion with 1.6T or 2.0T and optional AWD

Ford is basically the standard right now that others are being compared to.

Even more amazing is that every new FiST, FoST, and now RS, comes with a free Driving Academy course (including track time) in UT.

https://www.stoctaneacademy.com/en/

I was pretty shocked when I got the offer letter in the mail. Ford's been offering it with every ST since 2013.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
The reason they aren't losing sleep(or care about enthusiasts) is clear ;)

Sales(2016)
Civic 367K
Focus 169K

Focus sales were down 27% in Jan (9,600)

The Accord outsells the Fusion. The Fit outsells the Fiesta. The CRV outsells the Escape.
That's funny because where I live in Texas I see way more Focuses on the road than Civics. But popularity can vary greatly state to state. I distinctly recall seeing way more Japanese cars on the road while living in CA years ago.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
I like Ford, and agree they have a great lineup for enthusiasts. If I had to replace my TSX today, I'd probably get a Focus ST. I've tested a few, and it's a fantastic driver's car with real personality. But, based on my experience with a 2010 Fusion, I would be concerned about reliability.

I got the Fusion in November 2015 from my dad, who bought it new in fall 2009. It had about 60,000 miles, and now has about 66,000. I bought my Acura new in fall 2009, and it now has about 106,000 miles.

In the 15 months I've owned the Fusion:

1. Both rear blinkers have burned out.
2. The climate control blower needed to be replaced.
3. The parking brake twice failed to release, burning out the rear brake the first time, which required replacement of both rear brakes. Apparently this is caused by water leaking into "boots" at the ends of the cable, and then freezing. My Ford dealer knew nothing about this phenomenon, but folks on Fusion forums do. My dad says this happened on one of his previous Fords.
4. A tire pressure monitor sensor failed.
5. It suffers from odd vibrations at some highway speeds, which were not cured by wheel balancing and alignment. My dad reported this, and said his dealer could never figure it out.

In the seven years and four months I've owned my TSX, other than normal wear like one brake replacement and front struts that succumbed to Philly potholes:

1. The AC needed to be recharged once.
2. A plastic trim piece near the moonroof control was vibrating, which was easily fixed.

Yeah, that's it.

I do think Fords have improved since 2010, and many of their recent problems relate to infotainment. They still have awful body panel fitment too. Even so, I'd have much more confidence in anything from Honda.

Back on topic, I'm very curious about this three-cylinder Fiesta ST. Can't wait to try it.
After owning nothing but Honda/Acura for over 30 years, I hear your concerns. I just gave my beloved 2004 RSX Type S to my son. Had virtually no problems after 13 years (cruise control JUST went out). Still rock solid inside...no rattles.

Picked up a new 2016 Focus ST in December for a steal. First US car I've ever purchased. Time will tell how well it ages. I'm not exactly happy that JD Power just ranked the Focus at the bottom of Compact car segment for Reliability (over the first 36 months of ownership). Ive got bumper to bumper 3/36 and powertrain 5/60 though, so if it starts giving me lots of headaches, I'll likely ditch it before 3/36.

That being said, Honda reliability isn't quite what it used to be either (though still really good). Our 2007 Odyssey's AC unit failed after just 4 years old, plus other issues with interior body panels, AC dashboard lights, flaky auto climate control, power sliding doors failed, etc.

All that said, I'm happy so far with the FoST, but still super bummed Honda didn't put a 2.0T in the Civic Si. It could have been amazing.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
That word "enthusiasts" gets thrown around way too much these days. Kinda like the idiots that will put ape hangers on their motorcycle, and call them "choppers". Or the morons who will just remove the front fender, and all the sudden, they got a "bobber". Technically, you can be an "enthusiast" about anything, because all you have to be, is enthusiastic about it.
All I know is that any car company that throws in a free performance driving school, including track time, with the purchase of their vehicle more than qualifies as "supporting enthusiasts."

https://www.stoctaneacademy.com/en/

I wish Honda would get a clue.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After owning nothing but Honda/Acura for over 30 years, I hear your concerns. I just gave my beloved 2004 RSX Type S to my son. Had virtually no problems after 13 years (cruise control JUST went out). Still rock solid inside...no rattles.

Picked up a new 2016 Focus ST in December for a steal. First US car I've ever purchased. Time will tell how well it ages. I'm not exactly happy that JD Power just ranked the Focus at the bottom of Compact car segment for Reliability (over the first 36 months of ownership). Ive got bumper to bumper 3/36 and powertrain 5/60 though, so if it starts giving me lots of headaches, I'll likely ditch it before 3/36.

That being said, Honda reliability isn't quite what it used to be either (though still really good). Our 2007 Odyssey's AC unit failed after just 4 years old, plus other issues with interior body panels, AC dashboard lights, flaky auto climate control, power sliding doors failed, etc.

All that said, I'm happy so far with the FoST, but still super bummed Honda didn't put a 2.0T in the Civic Si. It could have been amazing.
I had a 2016 Focus ST3 great car, fund to drive, if you ever get bored I highly recommend a tune, I had a Cobb Stage 1 and it really woke the car.

I have a feeling a lot of people who would have bought Sis are gonna go with the GTI or ST since they will own it on the streets and the track.

Most die hard Hondafantics won't care though...
Sponsored