First Time Buyer. How do I keep my Civic clean and looking good?

MichaelMUCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I just bought my first new car, and I want to keep it in pristine condition for as long as I can. However, I don't know where to start. All I know is that I should be tedious when I wash my car, and clean the inside a lot.

What are some tips and good products to keep the interior and exterior clean? I used dish soap to clean my old car. What are some good cheap products? Anything helps. Thanks!
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Michael, first thing is don't use dish soap. Learn about the 2 bucket wash method. Lots of YouTube videos.

If you go to this sites Forum section, under Tech Topic, there is a whole section on 'Cosmetic Maintenance'. Lots of great information there. Suggest you start in the thread 'Wash / Detail'.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Agreed, Dish Soap can slowly eat away at your clearcoat. Get a car shampoo and use the two bucket method (one bucket for soap = dip a mitt and wash, then rinse off your mitt in another bucket full of just water to get rid of any grit/dirt on the mitt before dipping in the soap bucket again). I personally recommend grit guards in the boom of my buckets.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Grit+guard

CoolKen7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
This is also my first time getting a anew car and I haven't washed it since I got it. It's been out in the snow and its starting to look dirty with spots. What product should I get to wash it without getting those nasty marks and give it a good shine? I was thinking about the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax... Is this a good product?

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't remember ever hearing someone say something negative about a Meguiars product. I'll be buying this soap in the spring. Goes for about $20 at Canadian Tire. Keeping an eye out for a sale as I need a few cleanup things.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
This is also my first time getting a anew car and I haven't washed it since I got it. It's been out in the snow and its starting to look dirty with spots. What product should I get to wash it without getting those nasty marks and give it a good shine? I was thinking about the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax... Is this a good product?
Kudos to you if you plan to wash your car yourself during winter!!! I am not :)

If you're going to wash it yourself, Meguiar's is good, or The Chemical Guys products are also good. Be sure to use the two-bucket method to avoid any scratches.

If you're going to get it washed, I suggest going to a detailing place and get it hand-washed... you're likely to pay ~$20-$30 around the GTA.

CoolKen7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Kudos to you if you plan to wash your car yourself during winter!!! I am not :)

If you're going to wash it yourself, Meguiar's is good, or The Chemical Guys products are also good. Be sure to use the two-bucket method to avoid any scratches.

If you're going to get it washed, I suggest going to a detailing place and get it hand-washed... you're likely to pay ~$20-$30 around the GTA.
You're right, I don't think I can handle the cold and washing my car during this time of the year lol. I guess i'll buy the product and wash it myself once it gets warmer... I will search for a decent detailing place for now.

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
You're right, I don't think I can handle the cold and washing my car during this time of the year lol. I guess i'll buy the product and wash it myself once it gets warmer... I will search for a decent detailing place for now.
https://www.facebook.com/jtough.ca/timeline

Check them out....I am planning to get my touring detailed by them....they have a lot of good reviews.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
If you really want to wash in the cold use a warm (not hot) bucket of water it keeps your hand in the mitt relatively warm and i feel it helps dirt and grim come off easier.

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Upon delivery, I went to a detailer for machine polishing and to apply a paint sealant (you would do a clear bra then too). I plan on doing that treatment every 2 years. I then apply a carnuba-based wax on top of the sealant roughly 3 times a year. I maintain "dat gloss" by hand washing using the two bucket method year round. I wash less frequently at coin ops in the winter. Here's an example of how to do it.

For the average consumer, Meguiar's or Mothers is fine. The next step up would be Chemical Guys, Adam's, etc. Good luck Michael, and please keep the dish soap in the kitchen.

Last edited:

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also encourage using vertical strokes on vertical panels (doors and bumpers) and horizontal strokes on the hood, roof and trunk. Same goes when waxing or fixing scratches on my own. Never in circles on paint, only on glass.