First Road trip Touring Model

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello all just got a civicx touring on 1/2/16 and wasted no time breaking her in. Yesterday I went on a road trip with the GF from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and back all in one day.

Comfort: With the civic only having 6-way? Adjustable seating I found comfort was no problem at all, the seats to me are very plush and even though there is not any lumbar support you are able to angle the seat just right to fix that issue. My previous vehicle was a BMW 328i with 10-way adjustable seats and the Honda is hands down more comfortable for longer trips. The BMW seats were firm and felt more sporty but added more rear end and leg fatigue.

Handling: The civic handled amazingly well, the road to the Grand Canyon is very curvy and has an elevation change from 1300ft to 8000ft and around 28F temperatures. On the way, I experienced heavy rain, sleet lots of snow and fog. The car never once slipped or hydroplaned at all, the entire drive the car was planted firmly and there was no nervousness from me when driving it in those conditions. This is all with the standard tires, and being a native Phoenician, I'm not used to those conditions.

Infotainment: This was my biggest concern while going on the trip, after reading tons of problems people have been having with the infotainment console and just getting the car I did not know what I was in for. Throughout the whole trip, there were no issues with the unit and no sound loss. I used different audio sources all coming from the phone, Bluetooth, carplay, and the pandora app. I did notice that sometimes switching from the Bluetooth sound to pandora app in sources the volume would change but I'm not sure if that was on the phones end or the vehicles end. Carplay worked nicely, however, I found myself not using it as I'm not a fan of apple maps and I liked being able to thumbs up and down songs from the main pandora app built in without having to click into another menu in carplay. And another downside with using Carplay you don't turn by turn directions in the driver display (or I have yet to find a way to see it) as you do with the stock navigation the car comes with. The stock navigation works great, never cut out during the trip, and the directions led me to exact destinations, and being able to add destinations while driving along a route already locked in made it so much more convenient. i.e Gas stations along the route.

HVAC: This was really easy to use, I like not having to change too many dials to get a temperature I want especially when driving. Just turn one knob and you're set. The BMW had dual climate settings as well but when you would set the temperature you still had to change if you wanted hot or cold which was cumbersome.

Adaptive Cruise Control & Lane Keep Assist: This for me was the bread and butter of the trip and what I believe is the success to lessening drivers fatigue. For the entire trip, I used ACC and LKAS and it worked perfectly. I am still getting comfortable with the car braking itself which might take some time getting used to, but it followed vehicles through thick fog and snow with ease and I was not tired at all after both trips. LKAS is also great, I found you barely have to turn the wheel no more than 3 or 4 degrees and the car will turn the rest of the way on curves practically making it driverless. It was also able to keep my in the lane while it was snowing and I personally was not able to see the lines. If you're debating on getting an EX-L with either sensing or navigation, hands down I would pick the sensing.
Also i noticed that LKAS turns off when the wheel is turned about 30+ degrees in either direction but immediately enables once the wheel goes below 30 degrees.

Turbo: A lot of people are wondering if the turbo has enough power to overtake. Let me tell you that it definitely does! Even with the car in ECON mode I was easily overtaking cars on a one lane highway and never felt the need to switch to sport or turn ECON off to get more "power" to pass.

Mileage: The Total trip was 472 miles and I averaged 38.2mpg. I kept the car in ECON mode the whole time and the speed averaged around i would guess 72-74mph. Not bad at all considering before the trip the car only had 300 miles on it so still in its break in period. Some people say they get better gas mileage with it off once I get back into my school routine ill alternate on fill-ups to see what I actually get.

Issues/Complaints:
Carplay maps not having turn by turn directions in the driver dash. If Carplay had this feature then I would solely be using this instead of having to switch between apps to see the directions and have the music open.

When you have the stock navigation running and have the Navigation directions selected in the instrument cluster not matter how many miles you have remaining in the trip it always has the wording "Mile" instead of "Miles". So for instance if you have 20 MILES left the instrument app with read 20 MILE. Not really an issue just a pet peeve.

The phone sometimes not wanting to connect to the Unit, but this was remedied by turning off bluetooth on the phone then back on again.

The last 15 miles getting into the Grand Canyon an alert came on and said the "Brake Mitigation System Radar is obstructed and has been turned off", once we made it to the Grand Canyon I noticed a ton of ice was stuck on the radar, once I removed it the system was fully functional again.

When it was raining the droplets on the window seem to be huge and affect visibility. Im not sure if its the way the window is slanted that they splash in a weird formation, its hard to explain, but i used RainX on the windshield and it helped a little but im thinking i need to do a complete cleaning of the windshield to have better water dropplets forming. It could also be the dealer puts their own "Protective Coating" On the car and got it on the windshield causing the droplets to get stuck.

Auto Lock feature, when this is enabled and you're filling up your gas tank, the car will lock itself and in order to close the gas tank after filling up you have to unlock the car again to shut it, I guess if you leave the keys in the car this wont be an issue but who wants to do that.

The main issue is that I saw NO CIVICX on the whole trip. We did stop at a Starbucks in flagstaff and I parked next to a brand new 2016 Toyota Camry and the owner asked if this was the new Civic and how he should've waited to get one of these instead!:headbang:

And of course this review cant be completed without the infamous No Audio issue. I finally got the issue, the day after the trip and it was the only and only time I tried to use the Engine start from the key fob, once i got in the car there were no beeps from changing menu's, and no radio sound, I tried to reboot the system and it did nothing, I also tried a quick turn off and turn on of the car as if i were at a Red Light and it happened while driving but that didn't work either. The only way I got the audio to turn on was to turn the car off walk away let it lock then come back and turn it on via the push start and it back up and running. Needless to say I wont be using the Engine start from the key fob anymore.

I probably missed a few things but if anyone has questions about the car dont be afraid to ask.

Honda Civic 10th gen First Road trip Touring Model IMG_6328-1.JPG
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to share. Good to hear you had no issues with the stock tires in various weather conditions. Mine are in storage for the winter. Can't wait for the spring to get the steelies off.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
For the entire trip, I used ACC and LKAS and it worked perfectly.
We have had our first rain since I got the car. I have found in light rain that the lane keep assist, while turned on, does not function at all. The little bars are hollow representing it's not actually functioning. Of course my wipers have been on because its raining. Do you know if this feature is supposed to work when it's raining? You mentioned it working in the snow and stuff, so I wondered. If I turn my wipers off it will come on, but as soon as I turn my wipers back on it seems to fade out within 30 seconds and will not come back on again. In all cases it was a light rain and the road markings were very clearly visible. This problem happened as soon as I started getting maintenance reminders on the android screen which were not real. The dealer did not seem to know how to fix anything and was trying to reset the maintenance minder by using the trip odometer dial, which is apparently how it used to be done. Clearly they have not been trained on the new civics. The dealer said if I wanted to wait an entire workday having my car looked at so they can find out what the problems are to send to Honda I could, but since I already know Honda doesn't have any answers yet I turned down that option for now. The glitches are piling up.

OP
OP
zshortyz

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
We have had our first rain since I got the car. I have found in light rain that the lane keep assist, while turned on, does not function at all. The little bars are hollow representing it's not actually functioning. Of course my wipers have been on because its raining. Do you know if this feature is supposed to work when it's raining? You mentioned it working in the snow and stuff, so I wondered.
Yeah it's works in the rain as well, it's been raining here everyday and hasn't had trouble at all staying in the lanes. You're driving over 45mph right?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Yep, highway speeds... I was really liking the assist too, until it stopped working.

tandjent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue
Country flag
Good write up! I can definitely concur having traveled roughly 550 miles round trip to my in-laws in Missouri for Christmas with my Touring model. The trip was very smooth. The seats were super comfortable. I was way less fatigued and sore than I normally am making the 4.5 hour drive. Adaptive Cruise I think was the all star for me as we had a good 3 hour stretch of two lane highway on the way back. And the passing power is definitely there too. I too had someone ask me about my car stopping at a gas station on the way home. I like using the built in Navigation but I was having a hard time getting it to conform to our normal route. It wanted to take us the "long" way that is definitely not faster.

OP
OP
zshortyz

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Good write up! I can definitely concur having traveled roughly 550 miles round trip to my in-laws in Missouri for Christmas with my Touring model. The trip was very smooth. The seats were super comfortable. I was way less fatigued and sore than I normally am making the 4.5 hour drive. Adaptive Cruise I think was the all star for me as we had a good 3 hour stretch of two lane highway on the way back. And the passing power is definitely there too. I too had someone ask me about my car stopping at a gas station on the way home. I like using the built in Navigation but I was having a hard time getting it to conform to our normal route. It wanted to take us the "long" way that is definitely not faster.
Very true about the route I just remembered on the way home I forgot I had the navigation running still once I was in familiar area, and instead of merging with another freeway and driving one 2 miles on the side streets it wanted me to get off early and drive 7 miles on side streets so I'm not sure what the deal was with that

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Adaptive Cruise Control & Lane Keep Assist: This for me was the bread and butter of the trip and what I believe is the success to lessening drivers fatigue. For the entire trip, I used ACC and LKAS and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the detailed report! I have a Touring model and my experience of the car has been generally very impressive, especially the overall comfort and assured handling. A huge step up from our previous Civic. The car is more relaxing to drive, but that additional horsepower with the turbo gives good confidence when passing to having to get-up-and-go.

I'm encouraged that you had no problems at all with the Adaptive Cruise Control. After about 1000 km (600+ miles) my Touring has started surging up and down in speed (also visible on the tach) at around 2,000 rpm in ACC, on level ground (70 mph or so). The issue is described by several owners on this thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-surging-up-and-down.1269/

I've had the Infotainment system go blank a couple of times, but it's always come back. There appears to be a software fix for that now: http://www.civicx.com/threads/technical-service-bulletin-fix-for-2016-civic-audio-issues.1380/

I'm guessing there will be a few of these software fixes (and/or firmware fixes) over the next while, and hoping one will take care of the ACC surging issues some of us are having.

Thanks again. Good to hear how the car performed so well for you on a road trip that sounds like it had some challenges.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zshortyz, go post in the AZ owners thread of you haven't already. Good to see another touring in AZ!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
That fix seems to be for it going silent not blank.
Thanks. Yes, I should have said silent -- the image remains on the screen, but no sound. I've had a it go silent a few times. Also had it not respond to touch input, despite the sensitivity being set to "high." Tap, tap, tap, and nothing happens, then it works. Seemed like the processor might have been busy with something else.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Thanks. Yes, I should have said silent -- the image remains on the screen, but no sound. I've had a it go silent a few times. Also had it not respond to touch input, despite the sensitivity being set to "high." Tap, tap, tap, and nothing happens, then it works. Seemed like the processor might have been busy with something else.
There was a post elsewhere saying that issues with touch like that could be fixed by replacing the screen (which would be under warranty). I haven't had any touch issues at all.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
There was a post elsewhere saying that issues with touch like that could be fixed by replacing the screen (which would be under warranty). I haven't had any touch issues at all.
Thanks. Good to know the unit is working as advertised for some owners.

I had the my Touring model into my Honda dealership yesterday to have them look at another issue (surging at highway speeds) and also brought up the infotainment unit issues. They contacted Honda Canada, who said they were working on a software update for the infotainment issues. I thought I'd let them run that when it arrives and then see if I'm still having any issues with the touch screen. I'll report back on the results.
Sponsored