Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
While the "new" Civic Type R is being built on the 9th generation platform, it's still interesting to note that production has just begun on it.

"They R here!" proclaims Honda, referring to the first Civic Type R production cars that rolled off the line at the firm's manufacturing plant in Swindon, UK.

Appropriately, the first three models to cross the line before heading to Honda dealerships across Europe are finished in red, white and blue respectively, as a nod to the UK flag.

The new Honda Civic Type R, which has been confirmed for North America, has a 2.0-liter VTEC TURBO engine that red-lines at 7,000 rpm delivering 306hp (310PS) for a claimed 0-100km/h (62mph) in 5.7 seconds and a top speed of 269km/h (167mph).

Commenting on the start of regular production of the Civic Type R, Soichiro Takizawa, Managing Director at Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM), said:

“The new Civic Type R is an imperative model for Honda, representing our racing spirit and demonstrating our commitment to innovation and passion. We are extremely proud to be the only manufacturer of the Civic Type R in the world. Our high standards have earned us this privilege and this is testament to the continued commitment of our Associates.”

The same UK plant will see a further investment of £200 million bringing the total to £2.2 billion since 1985, to become the global production hub for the Civic five door model.

via: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/first-honda-civic-type-r-models-roll.html

Honda Civic 10th gen First "new" Civic Type R rolls off the production line type-r-1
Honda Civic 10th gen First "new" Civic Type R rolls off the production line type-r-2
Honda Civic 10th gen First "new" Civic Type R rolls off the production line type-r-4
Honda Civic 10th gen First "new" Civic Type R rolls off the production line type-r-3

TenGen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed
Love that blue one! So if this isn't the 10th gen Type R that means it'll only be in production for 1-2 years?

EmperorHondus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord, 2002 Mazda Protege
It would be nice to get one shred of official news from Honda. The new Civic sedan is supposed to be released in the fall, which isn't that far way. Anything, a photo that isn't someone's imaginary rendering. Some specs that weren't made up by some creative enthusiast. Sheesh, I'm dying on the vine here.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
It would be nice to get one shred of official news from Honda. The new Civic sedan is supposed to be released in the fall, which isn't that far way. Anything, a photo that isn't someone's imaginary rendering. Some specs that weren't made up by some creative enthusiast. Sheesh, I'm dying on the vine here.
Yea seems they could have capitalized even more on the buzz that followed the concept coupe's debut at the NY show in April.

On second though maybe they've been playing the marketing game all along tho with all these prototypes that keep getting caught by spy photographers.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Next big news we will get will probably be the auto show in September... and it'll probably be the full engine specs, official production version cars, interior, standard features etc. Hoping we'll get more on the interior before then, but it is only another month and a half away... so probably not.

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
Love that blue one! So if this isn't the 10th gen Type R that means it'll only be in production for 1-2 years?
Negative this plant will only be building the 5-door which still has it's underpinnings from the 9th gen. They will be producing all 5-doors for planet Earth. 2 and 4 doors will be built relative to their respective markets on the brand new chassis.

If you haven't noticed Honda released the new HR-V and the next generation Pilot under the radar. The HR-V configurator wasn't even online when they started hitting dealerships, same goes for the Pilot. Not sure what Honda's strategy is with this but it's confusing. They did this with the 2nd gen US Fit, I was working for Honda at the time, sitting at a dealership at 9pm and a hauler shows up with 7 brand new Fits and none of us were expecting them for at least a few more weeks.

It would be nice to know the details on the next gen Si. I'm probably going to sell my STI because I need something a bit more practical on my daily commute. I'd simply like to know so I can go snag a 9th gen while they are still new and able to order.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Negative this plant will only be building the 5-door which still has it's underpinnings from the 9th gen. They will be producing all 5-doors for planet Earth. 2 and 4 doors will be built relative to their respective markets on the brand new chassis.
Do you have a source for this? It was my understanding that the U.S. won't get this "9th gen" 5-door, but one built on the 10th gen chassis (from the same plant).

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Do you have a source for this? It was my understanding that the U.S. won't get this "9th gen" 5-door, but one built on the 10th gen chassis (from the same plant).
That's what I thought too. I'm surprised no one at Honda has clarified this yet.
Sponsored